Dave Hodge against changes to unbalanced schedule

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Dave Hodge against changes to unbalanced schedule

Post by yammi »

Usually I find Dave Hodge on TSN to be one of the more reasonable and principled media voices, but I changed my mind big time after hearing him tonight (between periods of the Edmonton-Detroit game).

He gave a "big thumbs down" to those who want to change the unbalanced schedule because it would mean more games for Toronto fans between the Maple leaves and some of the weaker western conference teams.

This guy is not thinking at all about the good of the NHL as a whole, and is now completely Toronto-centric.

I used to wonder why so many people in western Canada see people in the east as selfish assholes.

But this is yet another example of what triggers that feeling.

Food for thought:

I wonder how smug the eastern teams would be about maintaining the schedule status quo if Anaheim finished #1 in the Crosby sweepstakes instead of #2. I'm betting that fans on the other side of the continent would probably want to see "Sid the Kid" and Anaheim come to town more than once every 3 years, and that there would be significant pressure to balance the schedule out.

Or, what about if this unbalanced schedule was in place while Gretzky was playing in Edmonton and LA? Can you imagine the outcry in eastern Canada and U.S. if he only visited cities there once every 3 years? The GMs would have that rule tossed out in a heartbeat because the league clearly suffers when marque players very rarely play in half of its cities.

Why is it so difficult for otherwise reasonable people to see that this unbalanced schedule is not at all good for the league?
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

I like how he calls the Western teams "weak". They out-class the Eastern teams by a country mile.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Usually I find Dave Hodge on TSN to be one of the more reasonable and principled media voices,

This made me laugh out loud. At first I thought you must be kidding then I realized you were serious. You do know that you are talking about the tiny brained idiot who used to wear a pyramid on his head everytime the laffs played because he thought it helped them win. I swear I'm not making it up, he really used to do that and you consider this eastern pea brain to be reasoned and principled HAHAHA!! That's good... oh yeah... :lol: hahaha!! :lol: :lol: :lol: There is NO ONE, NONE, NOBODY in the east who has a clue, they are all blithering idiots and that's why we hate them. Everytime they open their mouths they show off their stupidity.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Dave Who ? frankly his opinion would sway me, he says what he must to keep his popularity with the TO fans, he sell his soul frequently
cheers
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

He gave a "big thumbs down" to those who want to change the unbalanced schedule because it would mean more games for Toronto fans between the Maple leaves and some of the weaker western conference teams.
I like how he calls the Western teams "weak". They out-class the Eastern teams by a country mile.
My sentiments exactly ... just how does he figure or imply the leaves are so good ... Yes they have had a decent start to the season but IMO they are one of the weaker team in the East ... Ottawa, TB Carolina and maybe even Boston and Philly will eventually pick things up ... I don't see the leaves making the playoffs this year. We'll see I guess ... Go Hodger !??

Grizz
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

As I've said from day one... the fans in the Northeast (particularly MTL, TOR, BOS, NYR, and PHA) want it this way, and that's what keeps it so. :evil:
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

For me, the issue is not that I want to "see" Crosby and Ovechkin. I can see them every night on the sports highlights. Hell, in 10 years, the next Crosby might be playing for Calgary, then would you like this schedule?

What should be the argument is the unfairness of asking a team like Vancouver to travel double/ triple/quadruple the amount of kilometres during a season and forcing it to leave it's time zone for every away division game. Then they have to potentially travel back and forth to Detroit during the playoffs 5 times while a NY/Philly team facing another NY/Phily team who would have to drive potentially 25 miles total for a 7 game series.

Then you ask this western team to play an eastern team in the finals? One travelled all over the place and is exhausted while the other could have slept in their own beds for the whole playoffs.

Rutherford is an ass. He knows Edmonton wins the cup last year if they only had to travel as much as Carolina did during the playoffs. This is why he likes the present schedule so much.

You don't think Vancouver had a better chance in game 7 1994 if they travelled as much as NYR did during the season?

Asking some teams to travel 5 times farther thn others is what is wrong with the schedule.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Larry Goodenough wrote: You don't think Vancouver had a better chance in game 7 1994 if they travelled as much as NYR did during the season?
Ironically, though, they were the ones looking fresher toward the end (probably because they were used to it, and a lot younger). To this day, I curse the fact that there were two days' rest between games 6 and 7. If that game is played on the Monday (two days later) instead of the Tuesday, the Canucks are champions. :evil:
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

To this day, I curse the fact that there were two days' rest between games 6 and 7. If that game is played on the Monday (two days later) instead of the Tuesday, the Canucks are champions.

Funny you mention that. I have said the same thing and had people laugh at me for it. With all the veterans the Ranger$ had, I firmly believe what you said to be true.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.