Change the "kicked in rule" now.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

The rule is fine the way it is.

The only thing that needs to change is to fire the idiot that figured Naslund kicked that puck in the net.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

ververgaert wrote:The rule is fine the way it is.

The only thing that needs to change is to fire the idiot that figured Naslund kicked that puck in the net.
Absolutely! It's a safety issue, you can't have people kicking at pucks in the crease with guys laying all over the place, that's insane. They should defer to the on-ice ref in questionable cases like that. It's a bad call, but I have noticed that more often than not a bad call is overcome by the team it was called against, extra incentive I guess.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sending it to Toronto for review is incredibly stupid - especially for the regular season. Maybe for the finals, so the Cup isn't decided on a bad call, but let the refs call it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Why don't they let the refs look at the video review rather than the NHL head office like in the NFL? Too expensive? To me it makes more sense...
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

JCardinal wrote:

Absolutely! It's a safety issue, you can't have people kicking at pucks in the crease with guys laying all over the place, that's insane. They should defer to the on-ice ref in questionable cases like that. It's a bad call, but I have noticed that more often than not a bad call is overcome by the team it was called against, extra incentive I guess.
Ya, the league is worried about safety. That's why Ovechkin got suspended. Wait a minute, he didn't?
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

OK, the rule is fine. Now, what exactly is the rule?
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I don't think it's really a safety issue, because if I remember it right, it wasn't that ago when they changed the rule to disallow goals scored by distinct kicking motion. Before that, the rule was that a goal cannot be scored by skate redirection, intentional or not. And then some genius thought that unintended deflection should be allowed to count, and they made it a distinct kicking motion. At the time, they were also very clear that a distinct kicking motion meant a backswing pendulum motion of a leg. And every one of the reviews before the Naslund one was ruled according to the pendulum motion, and that's why even though I didn't like it when Minnesota goal counted, I understood. Now I just can't understand/agree with the Naslund kicking ruling.

By the way, if you ask me, I think that any goal scored by deflecting off a non-stationary skate should not be counted.

Normally, the NHL rule says a goal should be disallowed:
Rule 78.5 (i):
When the puck has been directed, batted, or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with the stick.