Surgery for Bert?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Surgery for Bert?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article. ... 80945_3300

The guy hasn't played much recently, and if he has surgery he's out 4-6 weeks. With Krajiceks strong play and Luongo playing as well as can be expected, it's looking more and more like we got the better of this deal. I hope that Nonis receives all the kudos he deserves for pulling the trigger on this deal.

Many people (myself included) were worried that the D-men involved could offset the deal in favour of Florida, but I think it has in fact been the opposite...what we lost in Allen has more than been picked up by guys like Mitchell and Bieksa. All of a sudden Jovo's bolt for a payday isn't so scary as Salo has moved semelessly into the number 1 offensive Dman, and Krajiceks wheels have been great to see.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Well, I just saw on sportcenter... Bertuzzi is for sure going to have his herniated disc corrected with surgery. Damn rights we got the best of that deal. however, Bertuzzi still has a ton of time to really make things work in Florida

And as for the D-men we currently have... i couldnt be happier with the way they are playing... considering that most of us considered us to have a fairly weak blueline!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

tuzzi44 wrote:And as for the D-men we currently have... i couldnt be happier with the way they are playing... considering that most of us considered us to have a fairly weak blueline!
I think two things have really helped to make our D look better than it is. A guy named Luongo, and far more support from the forwards than there has been in a couple of years... I think BXA and Krajicek have looked great but in front of Auld and Cloutier, I think we'd be desperately looking for more experience right now. With Mitchell out, Fitzpatrick has had to play more, and the more I see him, the more worried I am. He's not a #5 and shouldn't be...

The flip side of having our forwards come back so deep is that fewer goals are being scored off the rush, IMO... :mad:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

The system definately helps guys look better. But it was also the case for the offensive Canucks of old. Playing on a Canucks power play unit definately helped guys like Baumgartner and Sopel become savagely overrated.

Agree with the assessment of Fitzy, the guy gives me fits sometimes, but he's playing WAY too much with Willie being out. The Bourdon/Fitzpatrick haunts my dreams, one of these two should be in the press box every night. So the D is still skating on thin ice. I can't immagine where we'd go for help if Salo or Ohlund went down too (knock wood), Krajicek and BXA as 2/3? :shock:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Agree with the assessment of Fitzy, the guy gives me fits sometimes, but he's playing WAY too much with Willie being out.
Yeah true but he is kinda being forced to play as we are lacking depth... which is a question that arose at the start of the year when we were wondering what would happen if guys started getting hurt.

Another concern may be how we handle Bourdon ... do we keep him up here past his alotted "rookie" games (I think its around 9) or do we send him down before he gets his games in. If we send him down before it thins us out some more but if we keep him ... correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that he would have to be up here all year or we'd risk losing him on waivers sending him down. Obviously thats not gonna happen ... so does he sit on the bench then and get 7 or 8 minutes a game ... fill in ?? Also ... what are the implications next season with him ... ??

Kinda off topic here aren't we ... Surgery for Bert ?? Sorry ....

Grizz
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Yes, he had the surgury today and is out 6-8 weeks.

Hopefully he's back for his return to Vancouver, it would be a shame for him to miss that game.

Bourdon...send him down, I don't think he's ready. We send him down, save 400 K in salary on some Moose call up, gain another year before hes FA eligible and give him time to develop into more of an impact player.

If we keep him, we're banking that he learns more from being in the room and practicing with these guys rather than playing 30 mins/night and leading a junior team. If he was making an impact, playing solid minutes and showing he could be a 4/5 guy this year then he should stay. Right now, if it's really a wash between him and Fitzpatrick over who sits in the press box, I don't see the point in keeping him.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Bourdon...send him down, I don't think he's ready. We send him down, save 400 K in salary on some Moose call up, gain another year before hes FA eligible and give him time to develop into more of an impact player.

If we keep him, we're banking that he learns more from being in the room and practicing with these guys rather than playing 30 mins/night and leading a junior team. If he was making an impact, playing solid minutes and showing he could be a 4/5 guy this year then he should stay. Right now, if it's really a wash between him and Fitzpatrick over who sits in the press box, I don't see the point in keeping him.
Thats kinda the thoughts I was having as well ... I think a limited time up here was good for him so he could see what he needed to work on etc. but keeping him up here permanently won't do him much good for his development - long term anyways.

Too bad about Bert ... Has any one heard any comments by the Panthers saying that he was damaged goods ?? ... hopefully not but just wondering whether something like that will pop up.

Grizz
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Hmm - a 31 year old power forward goes for back surgery. Yeah, that ought to work out well. Heck, guys bounce right back from that, don't they? Don't they?

I thought we got the best of that deal, but I never knew it was going to work out in quite this lopsided a manner. Good thing Keenan left town, or the ten fans left in Florida who actually care about hockey might have tried to lynch the guy.