Salmon Kings - anyone seen them this year?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Salmon Kings - anyone seen them this year?

Post by Cornuck »

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Salmon Kings roster. I'll be back in Vegas for the Wrangler's home opener next week, and wondering if their's any Canucks prospects worth watching for.

Also, is Rob McVicar still in the Canuck's system? He was playing against us in Utah the last couple of games and did fairly well.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
KyleT
AHL Prospect

Post by KyleT »

Hey I went and saw them play last night. They really arent that impressive, however thdy did manage to beat Idaho 7-3 with 4 fights in the game, so it was rather entertaining. I guess it makes up for the 2 games they lost to them earlier this week. As for McVicar he's not playing with them this year. (I actually think he's playing for Utah, so you might see him down there). The only player I recognized as a Vancouver draft pick was FP Guenette (I think he was taken in like the 7th round). Other than that no Canucks prospect (all though the Salmon Kings managed to say over the PA system that they were affiliated with the Canucks like 12 times during the game... milking it for all its worth). There were two other players on the team though that I think played with the Moose last year, Matt Kelly and James Demone
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Demone is the "Making the Cut" guy. Only name I recognized.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Yeah, I know McVicar is with Utah - just wondering if he's still Canucks property.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
unikron
AHL Prospect

Post by unikron »

I saw the game last night too. They have the Bluejackets former 2nd rounder Kiel McLeod. He goes 6'6" 233lb. He had a pretty nice game last night, a goal and a couple of fights, but he wasn't that physical. He only threw a couple of weak hits, and on his first fight the guy he fought pick him up like a wrestling body slam...OK slight exaggeration, but not by much.

They also have Milan Gajic (bcjhl fame i believe) on their team too. I thought he looked pretty good. He scored on a nice shot from the top of the circle.

The only assignment so far from the Moose has been a Dman named Matt Kelly. My friend is the PR guy, so I asked him if he'd heard any names of other possible demotions (mainly Ellis) and he says that nothing is happening right now.

All in all not a bad night of hockey, and it has to be said that Greg Hornby has colossal size walnuts. The guy got split open for at least ten stitches over his right eye, so what does he do for an encore? He challenges the same guy near the end of the game. He still got it handed to him, but not quite as bad the second time around.
"I, know I could make it right, if I could just swallow my pride".
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

unikron wrote:I saw the game last night too. They have the Bluejackets former 2nd rounder Kiel McLeod. He goes 6'6" 233lb. He had a pretty nice game last night, a goal and a couple of fights, but he wasn't that physical.
Kiel should of had a good NHL career, he just never got any better after leaving junior?

How did another ex Rocket Ryan Wade do? Also Kelowna boy Ryan Jorde on defense.
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

I saw their home opener and they got shut out. I noticed McLeod as well, but only because he was tall. Not much of a presence really. Hornby is a maniac. I like him. My buddy gets me free tix, so I will be at quite a few games this year. Will post if any "diamonds in the rough" appear.
unikron
AHL Prospect

Post by unikron »

How did another ex Rocket Ryan Wade do?
He played well. Got a couple of assists. I had a chance to meet him last year and I have to say the guy is a class act. a real nice guy
"I, know I could make it right, if I could just swallow my pride".
galiano
AHL Prospect

Post by galiano »

It's unfortunate that the Moose haven't sent more players to the Salmon Kings. It seems like pretty mediocre hockey given the talent level. I'd be more interested if there were 5 or 6 Canuck drafts. I expect MA Bernier to be sent from the Moose shortly but he's a no talent guy so big deal.
galiano
KyleT
AHL Prospect

Post by KyleT »

Hey Victoriafan,

Free tickets? How about sending some my way :D!

McLeod was decent on Saturday, big body presence, however doesnt really use his size to his advantage.