This time the media has gone too far

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

This time the media has gone too far

Post by Meerschaum »

Sure, sure the local sports media gets a little out of hand at times. And we, the local hockey fans, have been known to get sore at these journalists on the odd occasion. Heck, I myself acknowledge that my previous attempts to publicly strangle Tony Gallagher with a spool of piano wire may have been a bit of an overreaction.

But this stuff that Aftonbladet is publishing about Nazzy and the Twins - well, it's simply beyond the pale. This story totally crosses the line - its morally and typographically unacceptable. I mean, just look at this stuff. Can you believe what they've put in print??? Heck, can you even understand it?

"Det blir lite mer muskler och lite mindre underhudsfett för varje år. Det blir mycket rollerbladeåkning – med vikter - på vägarna runt Järved på somrarna. Men just nu är de så långt från Järved det nästan går att komma. Både geografiskt och hockeymässigt. Medan Vancouver spelar inför 17.000 åskådare i GM Place, finns ännu ingen is på uterinken Getinghov i Järved."

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/sto ... 37,00.html

For starters, just who the hell are these turkeys calling "runts"?

I mean, it's one thing for sports journalism to be shoddy, poorly reasearched and unintelligent.

But this stuff is beyond unintelligent. It's basically unintelligible. C'mon guys, this stuff reads like it was written on Mars.

The CRTC should really put a stop to this sort of trashy, inflamatory defamation. Just like they should ban RDS . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

The "Tre Svenskar" line. 8-)
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Maybe this will help.... LINK ... a little...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Cornuck wrote:Maybe this will help.... LINK ... a little...
"Now disappeared Todd Bertuzzi in a byte business with Florida."

and

"There, in swine chill and wind on uterinken Getinghov, took the first islet against the hockey's more delicate parlours."

Not to mention the recurring animal motif of

"Sows," "sheep," and "bird germs."
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

says the law captain Markus.
Sweet! Markus is not only our hockey Captain, but our Law Captain! :cheers:
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Paging CC member Bret H.... you there, Bret?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I cant make any sense of that? What's the big fuss?

And Meers, what's you beef with RDS?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
BigBert
CC Rookie

Post by BigBert »

oorten morgan fleemin bootin haagen blaggin blottin hammin heepin moort moort moort...
Disclaimer: This is an internet message board. The messages you read and their authors are to be taken seriously at your own risk. Remember, you don’t have ANY idea who these “people” really are, do you?
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

The worst thing about that article is that they claim that the GM capacity is 17000...

"lag" in Swedish means "law" and "team"...

The article is about the amazing suburb to Örnsköldsvik, called Järved (if you can call a small place like that a "suburb". Neither the Sedins or Näslund started their career in MoDo (the main team in O-vik) but in Järved. They had a great rivalvry with MoDo (from the "suburb" Domsjö). Peter Forsberg once said that the best thing about Järved is that you have a great view of Domsjö from there.

Forsberg also admits that it's amazing that such a small place like Järved can form a complete NHL line.

Then it's some other stuff mentioned in the article as well but i don't have time to translate it the time... sitting in Melbourne for the moment, working... supposed to get something done and unfortunately reading Aftonbladet articles doesn't count... ;)
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Thanks Bret! Much appreciated.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Bret H wrote:The worst thing about that article is that they claim that the GM capacity is 17000...
I don't know . . . I really think it might be hard for Nonis to eat more than 16,999 donuts. ;)
meangradin
AHL Prospect

Post by meangradin »

Meerschaum, you are a funny guy. The 16,999 donut joke had me on the ground and almost got me booted from the Korean PC bar I am in.

Craig
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Okay, okay. Here's the proper translation (without babelfish):

The heroes from Järved
Three Swedes on the same impact in NHL. Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and Markus Näslund. But that's not the unique part. It's that all three of them started in the same club. No, not Modo.
They are the heroes from Järved.

Järved's just a couple of kilometers northeast of central Örnsköldsvik and barely passes the minimum limit to be called a suburb. There, in hard cold and wind on the outside ice of Getinghov, they took their first strides towards the finer rooms of hockey.

It's hard to think now when you meet the three successful Swedes dressed up after an away game in NHL. Baggy sweatclothes are forbidden. Here it's tie and suit that is the norm during the travels.
New coach of Vancouver Alaign Vigneault decided to put Daniel and Henrik Sedin on the same line with Markus Näslund prior to this season. It was a stroke of brilliance. After nine games played outjudged Vancouver is on a safe playoff spot and it's 3xJärved on the first three places on points in the team. Daniel ahead of Henrik ahead of Markus.

And even if the line was temporarily shattered in the last game against Nashville, they've played eight of the nine games together.
- It's incredibly fun to play with Markus, so I really hope we can continue together, says Daniel Sedin.

Despite all years in Vancouver they've earlier never played on the same line. Markus Näslund has almost always played with Todd Bertuzzi and Brendan Morrison.

Pickup- IKEA- or the SMS-line.
Now Todd Bertuzzi is gone in a trade between Florida and thirteen other players from the squad last season are gone. New coach Vigneault had to start building an entire new team - and to find a new first line. The answer is what's today calld the Pickup-line in Vancouver, the IKEA-line from other directions and the SMS-line of some back in Sweden. Dear child has many names, even if this child is just newborn.
- But it has worked out good already from the start. Henrik and Daniel are two incredibly good hockey players, says Markus Näslund.
And all three are from Järved?
- Yes, that's pretty fun that all three started on that outside rink. During that time, it was Modo you should beat.

It still goes around stories about that in Örnsköldsvik. It was grand battles between the peewee teams. During that time it was Markus Näslund against Peter Forsberg, the two big youth stars that played against eachother. Foppa grew up in Domsjö, a kilometer straight over the stream (Ö-viksfjärden).
- The best part with Järved is that they have view towards Domsjö, says Peter Forsberg.
It's of course meant as a joke, but at the same time it shows some of the rivalry that hwas always been there between the two small suburbs.
- Yes, but seriously it's incredibly fun that they can play together. It has never been a whole NHL line from the same small village, says Foppa.

Can't work harder
This season it's supposed that Daniel and Henrik Sedin are to step up to the star status that Foppa and Markus Näslund already have. They are to carry the "new" Vancouver. Stronger and faster than ever after vigorous preseason workout home in Örnsköldsvik.
- Yes, we've been working out a little tougher than previous summers, but the difference isn't that big, says Henrik Sedin.
- We can't work that much harder than we already do. It gets a little bit more of muscles and a little bit less of fat for every year. It's been a lot of rolleblading with extra weights on the roads around Järved during the summers.

- No, the warm winters mess it up, but we hope to be able to lay ice in the middle of November, says Uno Sandelin, chairman of Järved.
This is despite that Järved got artifical ice last year, partially with the help from Markus Näslund, who helped to get a fund from the NHLPA fund "Goals and Dreams".
- But it's too expensive to run the motors when it's so hot outside, says Sandelin.

When Markus, Daniel and Henrik grew up it was natural ice. Then the weather decided when it was possible to flush. But when the ice finally was there, todays three NHL stars skated there every available hour. Even when it was below -20 degrees Celsius.
- There was a degree of cold when it was forbidden to skate, but I can't remember that we ever cared about that rule, says Henrik Sedin.
- We practiced in every weather. Sometimes it snowed so much that we couldn't see the puck. Then we switched to a red ball instead .(bandyball, read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy)

At the same time it was that practice - or that play to be more correct - that lay the foundations for everything. Today, that spontaneous sporting is almost entirely gone.

Tops Second Division North C
And while Henrik, Daniel and Markus continues to play in NHL, Järved is in the top of their division in 2nd Division, North C. But even the team of Järved has moved to the beauty salons. They get to play in the new hockey temple of Modo, Swedbank Arena. But then it's hardly any line outside the gates.
- No, we have around 50 spectators on the games. But recently it was a derby against Svedjeholmen. Then there were 200. It's a record for this season, says Uno Sandelin. And on Järved's web page there an offer left from last season. "Our A-team sells sacks of birdseed - 200 SEK/25kg. It helps both the birds and the hockey team to survive."
It gives an image about the reality the majority of Swedish hockey clubs live in. As far from NHL as you can come

Good for Nazzy and the NHLPA to have arranged for artificial ice for his hometown.

I also love the bit about selling sacks of birdseed to raise money for the team. :lol: