Retire Ohlund's number?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Retire Ohlund's number?

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Now I know this may be a stupid topic seeing as how he'll be playing for at least what it seems another 7 years ( It looks like he could be a career Canuck)

Now I know this team is very stinchy in retiring numbers...they haven't retired Bure's ( Man it's hard to think that he is only 35....damn managment for running him out of town) and doesn't look like they will

Hell there is even questioning on if Naslunds will be retired....I Don't know why any second now he can become the all time goal scorer in Canucks history ( Though it should be Bures.) and the end of this year as long as he stays healthy he will be number 1 in Canucks scoring all time, yet I've heard people say and if he stayed longer than after his contract ( He hasn't said 100% he's retiring just said he very well could right?) he would just destroy the numbers. Yet I hear people say "He's never done anything for else in the playoffs" Well what has Linden done? Oh 94 yeah...the time we came close...yeah and he wasn't even our MVP in them..Mclean and Bure were ahead.

Well kind of went on a rant there...
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Dude way too early for this crap.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Should be...Retire Lindens number?

And the answer will be: YES.
darcy rota
AHL Prospect

Retiring the next Canucks number

Post by darcy rota »

I think it is a little early to think about retiring Ohlunds number. Think about a Canuck player since Stan Smyl's number was retired that has evoked steadfast emotion and displayed a "give it all game in and game out" effort with long time fans.

#16 or #1 ????? The 94 cup run was special. Two players that were outstanding were the goalie and a young winger converted to center.

A poster of #16 and #1 that captures a reflection of "nothing left in the tank" and a mutual admiration of each of others efforts, is one of the finest Canucks historical moments.

Just hope that #16 is not tainted with Chris Chelios's lawsuit.
What #16 did for Canuck fans should not be forgotten.

Cheers
darcy rota
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

LInden ( While vastly overrated by media and fans) will have his number retired....no question.

I'm wondering about guys like Naslund and Ohlund.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

What exactly has Ohlund done as a canuck to deserve such a thread? Nothing but be a good D-man. He isn't a heart and soul leader. He doesn't inspire the troops etc. (like Linden did in '94 and Smyl did for years)

What major accomplishments has Ohlund acheived? None. Being the bridesmaid for the Calder doesn't count in the end. It's like almost winning the Stanley Cup...meaningless.

What accomplishments has the team achieved since he began playing? None.

So why would you even talk about retiring his number? you wouldn't and right now, it won't be and it doesn't deserve to be.

I find it funny sometimes how canuck fans overrate Ohlund. He's a good defencemen. A very good one even. But there is a reason he isn't paid like a Lidstrom or Neidermayer or Pronger. He isn't the kind of player you would think might have his jersey in the rafters when he retires. Who knows perhaps it all clicks for Ohlund and he plays 82 great games one year and becomes a Norris winner. I just don't see it. What we see is what we get. A steady, reliable D-man that any team would be proud to have on the roster but simply isn't in teh upper echelon of the blueline nobility.

Atleast let him pass Doug Lidster for all time canuck defencemen scoring before even considering it...and then only give it a passing thought. It will take him 2 and perhaps insto a third season to reach Lidster. As it is he's barely ahead of Jovanovski and Rick Lanz.
Last edited by tantalum on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:LInden ( While vastly overrated by media and fans) will have his number retired....no question.

I'm wondering about guys like Naslund and Ohlund.
Linden overrated?? This coming from a guy that likes Messier.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Can we lock this thread and reopen it in 10 years?

sheeshh - what next? "Will the Canucks retire Alex Burrows number?"
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Cornuck wrote:Can we lock this thread and reopen it in 10 years?

sheeshh - what next? "Will the Canucks retire Alex Burrows number?"
Ditto......this is starting to get as ridiculous as the Habs mesage board I go to. They start threads just for the sake of starting one. So irrelevant.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!