What is it that's bugging me about this season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Okay, after watching tonight's Ottawa/Toronto game, can you please never again suggest that the Canucks should have signed Gerber?
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

Why, he's gonna have a fine season.
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

MacNews wrote:What else are you going to do though? Have 2 mediocre goalies?
Been there, done that. I'd sooner have Luogo any day. Do you really think the score would be3-1 Nucks with either of Cloutier or Auld playing tonight? I doubt it. You build from the goalie out.
If it takes a year or so to get all the pieces, so be it, just as long as they work as hard as they are tonight, I will be entertained.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

sk8er wrote:Been there, done that. I'd sooner have Luogo any day. Do you really think the score would be3-1 Nucks with either of Cloutier or Auld playing tonight? I doubt it. You build from the goalie out.
If it takes a year or so to get all the pieces, so be it, just as long as they work as hard as they are tonight, I will be entertained.
I agree totally sk8er. Luongo is pricey, but look what you get when he's healthy. You get game-winning goaltending. If Brodeur gets hurt then the Devils are sunk, too.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

The one thing that seemed to carry over from pre-season was penalties. OMG, they have to stop taking so many. To be fair, the team look great killing off all PP time Detroit had, but you can't always dig such a deep hole. If that keeps up, we've got issues.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

What bugs me about this season is that there are, with the possible exception of Boudron, no young guys with huge potential in the mix. Seems everyone else has a few young hot-shots in their system or up with the big club. Where are the Canucks hotshots? Why don't we have any? Just a reminder that drafting in the past ten years has been nothing short of abysmal.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Sid Dithers wrote:What bugs me about this season is that there are, with the possible exception of Boudron, no young guys with huge potential in the mix. Seems everyone else has a few young hot-shots in their system or up with the big club. Where are the Canucks hotshots? Why don't we have any? Just a reminder that drafting in the past ten years has been nothing short of abysmal.
Kesler? And we have Bourdon like you mentioned. And on the Moose there is Hansen, Edler and Coulombe. And Grabner in juniors and Koltsov in Russia. I think we'll see more of these players next year.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Harold wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:What bugs me about this season is that there are, with the possible exception of Boudron, no young guys with huge potential in the mix. Seems everyone else has a few young hot-shots in their system or up with the big club. Where are the Canucks hotshots? Why don't we have any? Just a reminder that drafting in the past ten years has been nothing short of abysmal.
Kesler? And we have Bourdon like you mentioned. And on the Moose there is Hansen, Edler and Coulombe. And Grabner in juniors and Koltsov in Russia. I think we'll see more of these players next year.
Yeah, but....

1. Coulombe wasn't drafted by Vancouver. The Canucks invited him to training camp and he impressed despite his very small size.

2. Koltsov is a flake and he probably won't come back to Canada.

I agree that the Canucks have guys like Kesler, Schneider and Bourdon, but let's not stretch it here.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

After the past few games, what bugs me is:

1. our depth on 'D'. Bourdon isn't quite ready, Fitzpatrick is strictly a depth player. No Baumgartner/Allen/Jovo as well as Carney, Weinrich, Brown and instead Mitchell, Krajicek, Fitzpatrick, Bourdon is a downgrade. Weinrich, of course, is no loss, but the defense bothers me more than the forwards up front.

2. a one-line team. Right now Brendan Morrison needs Markus Naslund. The twins can play with Bulis. I was a big proponent for an all-Swede line, but am starting to have my doubts that it's good for the overall makeup of the team.

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think we're getting exactly what we thought we would get so far. Luongo has been stellar, and if we make the playoffs he'll win the Vezina.

The Ikea line has been doing as well as expected, all three guys could easily hit 90 points (and will probably HAVE to if we have any chance)

The second line is dysfunctional, probably due to new line mates. Another 10 games and we'll know for sure if they're bonafide second liners or third liners with minutes.

Third and fourth lines are playing good thus far, eating some minutes and not getting scored on too much.

Defence is thin, as we expected. Ohlund has to step up and start producing some points. Kracijek has been very mobile and contributed a lot. Salo better be healthy soon.

The consensus pick around here was the 'Nucks sneaking in between 6-8th spot. Right now, it looks like that's not such a far out idea.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think we're getting exactly what we thought we would get so far. Luongo has been stellar, and if we make the playoffs he'll win the Vezina.

The Ikea line has been doing as well as expected, all three guys could easily hit 90 points (and will probably HAVE to if we have any chance)

The second line is dysfunctional, probably due to new line mates. Another 10 games and we'll know for sure if they're bonafide second liners or third liners with minutes.

Third and fourth lines are playing good thus far, eating some minutes and not getting scored on too much.

Defence is thin, as we expected. Ohlund has to step up and start producing some points. Kracijek has been very mobile and contributed a lot. Salo better be healthy soon.

The consensus pick around here was the 'Nucks sneaking in between 6-8th spot. Right now, it looks like that's not such a far out idea.
I don't disagree with much of what you are saying. I'm not suggesting doom and gloom for the Canucks. Luongo will be great despite the other night against San Jose. The third and fourth lines are better than last year. I still think Vigneault should evenly spread the lines around and have Naslund jump-start Morrison. My biggest concern is the defense. If Salo, Ohlund or Mitchell go down....it's over. Actually, if Luongo went down, it would really be over.

dp

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Island Nucklehead wrote:If Kipper is hurt, Calgary is in nearly the same situation we are.
**Winner** - Understatement of the year.

Yes, according to the brilliance that is Ray Ferraro, the Canucks have a problem with only "4 top 6 forwards", but that's still twice as many as Calgary has.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The point was: Calgary's D is better than ours...I do think they are better off if their #1 goalie goes down.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The point was: Calgary's D is better than ours.
Since when? They have a better team defense (or at least did last season, this one remaining to be seen), but how is Mark Giordano or Andrei Zyuzin that much better than Kevin Bieksa? Phaneuf will be good, but he's no Matty Ohlund today. Regehr or Mitchell? Robyn's a pussy comparatively. What does that leave? Hamrlik & Ference? I'd rather have Salo.

But that's not really the point anyway, because Calgary's problem isn't defense, it's scoring with their pathetic forward corps.
Island Nucklehead wrote:I do think they are better off if their #1 goalie goes down.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. To me what it means is mostly this: Is McLennan better than Sabourin or Flaherty?

By almost every measurable quantity the Flames suck.
They are smoke & mirrors, with almost all of their success of the past 2 seasons coming at the expense of the Canucks. Not this year.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

SRsez wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:The point was: Calgary's D is better than ours.
Since when? They have a better team defense (or at least did last season, this one remaining to be seen), but how is Mark Giordano or Andrei Zyuzin that much better than Kevin Bieksa? Phaneuf will be good, but he's no Matty Ohlund today. Regehr or Mitchell? Robyn's a pussy comparatively. What does that leave? Hamrlik & Ference? I'd rather have Salo.

But that's not really the point anyway, because Calgary's problem isn't defense, it's scoring with their pathetic forward corps.
Island Nucklehead wrote:I do think they are better off if their #1 goalie goes down.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. To me what it means is mostly this: Is McLennan better than Sabourin or Flaherty?

By almost every measurable quantity the Flames suck.
They are smoke & mirrors, with almost all of their success of the past 2 seasons coming at the expense of the Canucks. Not this year.
I agree.
Vancouver has a superior top 3 (Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell) to Calgary, and the only question marks heading into the season was how Krajicek and Bieksa would do in spots #4 and 5. With their excellent play so far I think it is very clear that Vancouver's D is better than Calgary's.