Final Conclusions for the Preseason...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Final Conclusions for the Preseason...

Post by tuzzi44 »

Well the preseason didnt exactly go according to plan. But how does everyone feel about the season starting?? are we ready to jump into a game thursday with the wings?

What is everyone's thoughts on what has gone on during the preseason, and whats about to happen with the begininng of the regular season approaching?

I know I am excited for the season to get going, and im looking for a stronger finish this year.... Just excited!! :towel:
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: Final Conclusions for the Preseason...

Post by DavidPratt_ »

tuzzi44 wrote:Well the preseason didnt exactly go according to plan. But how does everyone feel about the season starting?? are we ready to jump into a game thursday with the wings?

What is everyone's thoughts on what has gone on during the preseason, and whats about to happen with the begininng of the regular season approaching?

I know I am excited for the season to get going, and im looking for a stronger finish this year.... Just excited!! :towel:
Some opening thoughts:

1. Training camp and pre-season was a disappointment. What was supposed to be a competitive camp simply wasn't. If you were on a one-way contract you're simply not going anywhere. Chouinard and Santala were practically invisible and I don't seem them going anywhere except opening night for the Canucks' regular season.

2. The Canucks depth has taken a drastic turn for the worse. Losing Bertuzzi was one thing (addition by subtraction), losing Carter was another, but losing Allen, Jovanovski and Baumgartner with Mitchell (great pickup) and Krajicek (not impressed with his lack of toughness in pre-season) joining the team along with Fitzpatrick concerns me.

3. Adding Luongo was terrific. If he ever gets injured, it's over. Period.

4. Losing Allen, Bertuzzi and Jovo in particular has reduced the Canucks' toughness level.

The team is much different than it was in the past. Pyatt and Bulis could be decent pickups. I'm not worried about scoring by committee (a problem last season). I'm more concerned about a defense that has Kevin Bieksa near the top 4. When Kevin Bieksa is that high in the Canucks defensive depth chart at this stage of his career, the Canucks have problems on defense.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Re: Final Conclusions for the Preseason...

Post by levelheaded »

1. Training camp and pre-season was a disappointment. What was supposed to be a competitive camp simply wasn't. If you were on a one-way contract you're simply not going anywhere. Chouinard and Santala were practically invisible and I don't seem them going anywhere except opening night for the Canucks' regular season.
Chouinard was obviously going to stick around because of his huge 1-way contract, but Santala I'm not so sure about. AV seems pretty sold on Rypien, and if he's healthy, I think there's a good chance he'll be in the starting lineup come Thursday.

2. The Canucks depth has taken a drastic turn for the worse. Losing Bertuzzi was one thing (addition by subtraction), losing Carter was another, but losing Allen, Jovanovski and Baumgartner with Mitchell (great pickup) and Krajicek (not impressed with his lack of toughness in pre-season) joining the team along with Fitzpatrick concerns me.
Jovo was hurt far too much for my liking anyways, I was never really sold on him either. He brought heart and a solid offensive game, but not much else. I'd be more worried of a top three of Ohlund, Salo, Jovanovski, then of a Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell, only because they're stronger defensively, especially with our bottom three looking like it does. Baumer and Allen are essentially replaceable.

Bert was as good as gone anyways, a real no brainer. As for Carter, Nonis really missed the boat on that one. I think he could've been had for about $2-$2.2 mill per season, and I think we could've afforded it. We basically spent that money on Bulis (who replaces Carter) and Chouinard. I'd take Carter over those two guys any day. I'm still not sold on Nazzy with the Sedins, and they don't begin to have the same Chemistry as the Brothers.
3. Adding Luongo was terrific. If he ever gets injured, it's over. Period.
Same can be said for Calgary and Kiprusoff. Getting Luongo in the trade was a stroke of Genius on Nonis' part. Considering I thought Bert for a high draft pick and a prospect was a good deal, I'd say we got full value for old #44. Luongo will be a stud for many years to come, Bert wouldn't have stuck around come next July. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd get Roberto Luongo for Bertuzzi.
4. Losing Allen, Bertuzzi and Jovo in particular has reduced the Canucks' toughness level.
Agreed, but at the same time we've dropped a ton of penalty minutes from the lineup as well. At the same time, Mitchell can add quite a bit of toughness when necessary, so its not like Nonis hasn't done anything to replace it. Sure Jovo hit a lot, but he often took himself completely out of position to do so, which defeats the purpose IMO.

If Ohlund and Mitchell can play tough defensive hockey, then we'll be alright. Sure we took a hit to toughness, but its not like its hard to come by. Also Cooke having 7 hits the other night is nothing to shake a stick at. I expect a big year from him. (although he can't really be called tough) If Bourdon makes the team, he'll add a further physical element, so I'm not overly worried.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Given that we have a new coach, new philosophy, and many new players, pre-season to me was really Vigneault's chance to try things without fear of consequences, so I didn't and don't put much weight on it, good or bad. That said, my general thoughts are:

- Biggest surprise and disappointment was Bourdon. I still think he's a stud, but after nearly making the team last year, having a great WJC this year, and being a "man among boys" at prospects camp, the way he stumbled during training camp was something I didn't like, I thought he was a shoo-in who would be chomping at the bit for a top-four position, now I'm more interested in seeing how he does for the first 10 games before making a call. I still think he'll be great, though, just might take longer than I hoped.

- Pyatt is little risk for possibly big reward, so while I won't be disappointed if he doesn't turn out to be more than a cheap third-liner, I was and am hoping he might show more, but mixed reviews so far, I think he's got a safe roster spot so he's waiting before things count before showing what he can do.

- Chouinard is same boat as Pyatt, nothing to prove so we didn't get a fair evaluation of him.

- Santala I was curious about, Nonis was really big on him but I'd heard nothing of him before he came here, he hasn't shown much but then again he's really just a cheap, big, somewhat gritty guy who can take face-offs, so maybe we're expecting too much if we want him to catch our attention.

- After Burrows and Kesler's contracts (Burrows for a one-way deal and Kesler for his price), I'm glad they showed they're eager to earn their deals.

- Flaherty calmed my concerns somewhat about his ability to play at the NHL level, though this is still pre-season and I'd like anothe NHL goalie brought in, if only for depth and experience on the Moose.

- I hoped for more finish from Reid, but haven't given up on him yet. Hope he doesn't bolt for Europe.

- Not surprised, disappointed or impressed by Grabner, I think he's a good pick but too early to tell.

- Disappointed and surprised with how Slade turned out.

- Surprised that Naslund and the Sedins worked so well together (so far), not sure I want them together on a regular basis, but for the first time I'm not against the idea.

- Coloumbe??? Where'd he come from?!
Mark
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I fucking hate the canucks, they're all fags.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Coulombe and to a lesser extent, Hansen, played. Glad to see that they got a good look and hopefully another chance to get up to the big club by being sent to Manitoba.

As others have already said, I'm disappointed that Bourdon didn't play as well as we'd hoped, but judging from his comments earlier in camp, he took this camp very seriously and probably overthought too many sitations. Add to that that he's coming off an injury - hopefully, he'll be alright.

Another disappointment is that neither BXA, nor Krajicek really stepped up to claim that #4 spot on D like Allen did last year. Of all the players that have left, I think we'll miss Allen's steady, physical presence at the #4 spot the most. But I'm still hoping that BXA stays healthy and does just that.

I remain very concerned about the lack of a decent PP unit; the Swedish Triplets look okay, but how long before other teams take away their possession game? And how will this team fare without a decent 2nd unit PP?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Re Allen, we're kind of guilty forgetting how long he took to find a regulat spot and even then his last season here was aided by the loss of Jovo. Salo and OHlund. Like most here I was disapointed with Bourdon his inability to pivot does not bode well. You can bet every Pro scout watching him recognised this short coming.. On the other hand I thought Krajicek showed to me any way he can add that attacking flair jumping in appropriatly.. Edler I thought looked better playing with the Canucks than he did in the WJC, I have to believe he will make it in a season or so

I can't say I like the idea of Naslund playing with 22&33 to easy for a easy for checkers to shut down, a team that relys on one line ain't going to far
cheers
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Training camp has left me feeling optimistic...

I have always thought that the teams that suffer the least amount of man games lost to injury to its core players are the teams that will make and do well in the playoffs...

I'm betting/hoping the Nucks did their time last season and will have a much healthier seson this year...

When was the last time the Nucks out hit the Flames by a 2 to 1 ratio and then followed that the next day by outhitting the Oilers 32 to 16?...

Bourdon had 6 hits and 1 blocked shot and was a plus 1 in 13 1/2 minutes last game against a very fast Oiler team which suggests he is feeling a little more comfortable against NHL opposition...

Take care...
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

rikster wrote:Training camp has left me feeling optimistic...

When was the last time the Nucks out hit the Flames by a 2 to 1 ratio and then followed that the next day by outhitting the Oilers 32 to 16?...

Bourdon had 6 hits and 1 blocked shot and was a plus 1 in 13 1/2 minutes last game against a very fast Oiler team which suggests he is feeling a little more comfortable against NHL opposition...

Take care...
Very good points
Mark
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Mixed reviews here. I'm not impressed with Flats, I would feel better with another goaler. The 3 Swedes can turn some heads this year, but will it be full time or as a PP unit? I'm still undecided with that.

The last 2 games gave me something to optimist about but I still have my concerns. Kesler and Burrows will be a big part of the team this year, and like Pratt said we should be able to score by committee. And let's hope Luongo got rid of the goal on first shot syndrome out of him.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Linden Is God wrote:Mixed reviews here. I'm not impressed with Flats, I would feel better with another goaler. The 3 Swedes can turn some heads this year, but will it be full time or as a PP unit? I'm still undecided with that.
The back up for Luongo is going to be some special athlete, Playing very infrequently but expected to be at the top of his game when called upon. I think we witnessed some of this with Flaherty, he played poorly first game but looked better in his second game. Flaherty seems to need more starts than he will get with the Canucks, thats his crime as it wqere. He played well and frequenly with the Moose
cheers
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Iagree with westvandal
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

westvandal wrote:I fucking hate the canucks, they're all fags.
:lol:

I missed this gem my first time reading through the thread.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

MarkMM wrote:- Disappointed and surprised with how Slade turned out.
I was pretty surprised. I heard he was awful. How can a guy with his stats in the WHL and his trip to the Memorial Cup last season be that bad?

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

WCE wrote:
westvandal wrote:I fucking hate the canucks, they're all fags.
:lol:

I missed this gem my first time reading through the thread.
Wow, interesting point of view. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'