WHAT 6 Mill a year for Havlat????

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Bartman
MVP
MVP

WHAT 6 Mill a year for Havlat????

Post by Bartman »

Just saw this posted on TSN.ca. A 3 way deal between Ottawa, Chicago and San Jose. The big name involved is Havlat who forced Ottawa to move him by refusing to sign anything but a one year deal. Once being traded this article says that he re-upped with Chicago for 18 million over 3 years.

6 Million a year for Havlat? The guys good but come on!

What is Chicago thinking and what does this say about Havlat's character? If I was a Senator's fan I'd be torn between being choked and glad to see him go.

LINK http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=
R.I.P. Luc.
nibbles
AHL Prospect

Post by nibbles »

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ITS REAL.. i thought it was fake 4 sure hahahaa...

so chicago gets havlat and smolinski
san jose gets mark bell
sens get preissing, henessey and barinka???

lol lol...
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

That is just ridiculous. When will the GMs ever learn? I doubt DN will touch a player like Havlat though.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

If Havlat wasn't going to come back next season, they should have held onto him until the trade deadline and made a deal then.
nibbles
AHL Prospect

Post by nibbles »

I think san jose really didn't do too well in this trade... sens didn't really either..

I don't know if havlat will have much fun playing for such a bad team..

who knows though.. anything can happen in the ''new nhl'' HAHAHAHA
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Yep. $6 million for Havlat would categorically constitute insanity.

You don't suppose Wirtz is trying to beat a murder rap or something . . .? ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

How did Ottawa end up with so many $6milion dollar men?..... I guess we had three. :look:
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

Just shows you that Chicago remains one of the most poorly run organizations in the NHL. That and Bostom...it's sad to see two orginal six teams getting run into the ground buy poor management and Monty Burns type owners.

They were just saying how Chicago couldn't lure any free agents- so they have to trade then shower their players with ridiculous contracts to keep them happy.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Now, if Havlat get $6 million, what does Gagne get? Seven million?

Suddenly Nonis' contracts for Naslund, Mo and Cooker don't look so silly.

If I'm the NHLPA, I'd be getting worried about the impact all this craziness will have on the escrow. They didn't lose any escrowed salary this last season, but I'm not so sure about 06/07.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

This is INfreakingSANE!
Makes Luongo's deal look like a frugal signing at this point. Wow, Havlat & Khabibulin take up about 1/3 of their total salary cap between the 2 of them.

So much for the NEW nhl and SENSIBLE spending.....its just the same old shit we always had, except now we'll have MORE minor leaguers rounding out rosters because thats all the teams can afford.....what happens to the rest of the NHLers who SHOULD be playing but can't land reasonable contracts then?

ugh
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

The salary cap is eliminating the middleman from NHL payrolls.
nibbles
AHL Prospect

Post by nibbles »

havlat IS good... might be worth 6 mil on another team.. but whos he going to play with in chicago?

didnt they get rid of 2 of their 1st line players in bell and arnason..

i guess ruutu and havlat can play together?... i dont know who else they really have? they have bochenski.. errr..

i dont know .. id like to see havlat score 40+ goals, but its going to be tough in chicago
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tukaram wrote:The salary cap is eliminating the middleman from NHL payrolls.
And thats how you kep the salaries down. As a GM or Owner, if you have a couple star players that draw fans to fill your arena, a couple of support guys and fill out the rest of your team with minimum salrary player, so long as you make money at the end of the year, does it really matter?

Middle earner (2-4 million) players are the guys that make the total team salary jump in a hurry.

Sad...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Meerschaum wrote:Now, if Havlat get $6 million, what does Gagne get? Seven million?

Suddenly Nonis' contracts for Naslund, Mo and Cooker don't look so silly.

If I'm the NHLPA, I'd be getting worried about the impact all this craziness will have on the escrow. They didn't lose any escrowed salary this last season, but I'm not so sure about 06/07.
Yes, escrow will be significant when teams on average spend a lot more than the mid-point between the cap and the floor, but escrow is just a mechanism to ensure that the players' share of revenue remain at the fixed percentage. Whether it's high or low, that percentage is fixed and that's all the players are going to get collectively.
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

What a total joke. Injury prone Havlat is worth 3 mil at most. Sens should count themselves lucky that he's headed out of town. I think Ottawa wins in this deal. They seem to be able to develop these young guys and now they have some cap room to boot.