Who has been our MVP?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who has been the Canucks' MVP this season?

Markus Näslund
No votes
Henrik Sedin
38%
Daniel Sedin
4%
Anson Carter
26%
Alex Auld
21%
Sami Salo
4%
Mattias Öhlund
2%
Tyler Bouck ;)
2%
Other (explain your selection)
2%

Total votes: 47

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Jyrki21 wrote:Speaking of the Brothers Line, I decided they deserved a little recognition as a formal unit, so I gave them a little gift on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_Line
I'm filing a complaint and contesting it on the grounds that it isn't unbiased! :mad:

j/k... :lol:
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

So I was thinking about it: I've always been a huge Sedin supporter, and the posts about Auld (that your goalie has always got to be your MVP, that he hasn't been a fantastic game-stealing 'tender, and so forth) have been quite reasonable.

But then I thought about it: if Auld had tanked early on ("shit the bed," as one of his detractors put it, totally prematurely), this team would not be in the playoff hunt. Of course, maybe they really would've traded Bertuzzi for Luongo or whatever pipe dream some had in mind; but any kind of goaltender trade would've been dubious and at the very least would've destablised the team.

But (partly because, as has been said, your goaltender has got to be your MVP, or at least solid) if Auld hadn't chosen this year to come out and play, this team would've spent the year worrying about its goaltending. He has held the season together. So I voted for Auld, in spite of my inclination to Henrik and Ohlund.
LP
AHL Prospect

Re: Who has been our MVP?

Post by LP »

Jyrki21 wrote: Henrik Sedin - I predict he'll be the consensus pick here
For lack of being Av-merican, this comment will have an influence on the outcome of the poll.....

At any rate, my vote is for Anson for some of the reason's you stated....hmmmm.....but it is kind of a chicken and egg question by virtue of the fact that without the finish your line won't score and without the finesse, Anson wouldn't have 30+.....So the question becomes, where do you place greater value?
offthepost.net
LP
AHL Prospect

Post by LP »

What I find interesting is that Naslund has zero (0) votes! WOW....
offthepost.net
adam13
AHL Prospect

MVP- Anson Carter

Post by adam13 »

I think based solely on the importance of the goals carter has scored...he should be MVP I mean the guy has 7 GWGs on his teams number 1 line...Anson Carter has had a great season...hopefully the 'Nucks manage to sign him...he is going to be a free agent.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Sedin's no question with honorable mention to Carter ... Naslund - 0 votes, Bert not even on the radar ... WOW .... who woulda thought that at the beginning of the year eh ... ??

Grizz
LP
AHL Prospect

Re: MVP- Anson Carter

Post by LP »

adam13 wrote:I think based solely on the importance of the goals carter has scored...he should be MVP I mean the guy has 7 GWGs on his teams number 1 line...Anson Carter has had a great season...hopefully the 'Nucks manage to sign him...he is going to be a free agent.
It is going to awefully tough to find room on the payroll for Anson. Start praying now!
offthepost.net
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

LP wrote:
adam13 wrote:I think based solely on the importance of the goals carter has scored...he should be MVP I mean the guy has 7 GWGs on his teams number 1 line...Anson Carter has had a great season...hopefully the 'Nucks manage to sign him...he is going to be a free agent.
It is going to awefully tough to find room on the payroll for Anson. Start praying now!
Cloutier will likely be gone with Auld and Noronen in mix, Park is an unrestricted FA and who knows whats happening with Bert or Jovo ... lots of speculation with them as far as their future with us .... clearly the Sedin line has been our best line this year and they will likely just keep getting better ... it would be a real faux pas by or oversite by DN not to get all three of those guys wrapped up.

Grizz
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

LP wrote:
adam13 wrote: It is going to awfully tough to find room on the payroll for Anson. Start praying now!
Well, as with the "chicken and egg" comment above, it's unlikely that Carter would've had the year he has if he'd been on another line. It's a chemistry thing as much as anything (I feel good about this, because I predicted Carter'd be a good fit before he was even on the radar on the canucksdotcom boards -- I wasn't reading these then), and the chemistry has obviously been great.

So these three guys know that they ought to stick together (or else the twins will want to go somewhere where they know there's somebody else they could work with; it's hard to imagine splitting them up). Hopefully that'll be a mitigating factor in the otherwise drastic cash that people'll be talking about in the offseason.
littlebert
AHL Prospect

Post by littlebert »

i think Auld, he was put into the leading role and has done an awesome job doing it his only problem has been no support by the defence. Next selection would have been Hank.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

LP wrote:
Won't be tough once we off-load Cloutier, and at least one of if not three of (depnding how we do in the playoffs) of Bert, Jovo, and Morrison. Maybe even Cooke, simply because of his price.

Still, the upside to free-agency is that there's a lot of replacements out there to salivate over...(Witt, Mitchell, Sakic and Selanne, Lindros... ;) )
Mark
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

Selanne with the twins, can you say seventy goal season? 8-)
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Selanne with the twins, can you say seventy goal season?
"s-e-v-e-n-t-y g-o-a-l s-e-a-s-o-n"

Yeah i dunno ... do you think Selanne is back to his Paul Kariya days or is he just having a really good year ... whats the likelihood of seeing it again from him ??

Looking at his stats ...

1992-93 Winnipeg Jets NHL 84 76 56 132 45 6 4 2 6 2
1993-94 Winnipeg Jets NHL 51 25 29 54 22 -- -- -- -- --
1994-95 Winnipeg Jets NHL 45 22 26 48 2 -- -- -- -- --
1995-96 Winnipeg Jets NHL 51 24 48 72 18 -- -- -- -- --
1995-96 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 28 16 20 36 4 -- -- -- -- --
1996-97 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 78 51 58 109 34 11 7 3 10 4
1997-98 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 73 52 34 86 30 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 75 47 60 107 30 4 2 2 4 2
1999-00 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 79 33 52 85 12 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 61 26 33 59 36 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 San Jose Sharks NHL 12 7 6 13 0 6 0 2 2 2
2001-02 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 29 25 54 40 12 5 3 8 2
2002-03 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 28 36 64 30 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Colorado Avalanche NHL 78 16 16 32 32 10 0 3 3 2
2005-06 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 70 34 42 76 38

He hasn't really had a good year ( 40+ goals) for almost 10 years now (9). Also he turns 36 this year. IMO his best is behind him ... I would maybe consider it if he was relatively cheap and Carter was not an option

Grizz
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

Ok, forget Selanne, sign Carter, I always thought Carter was 8-) .
I think Burke likes Teamu too much too drive him to the airport anyway. :lol:
Brian Burke
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

Ok. Carter now (as of the second intermission) leads the team in goals. I understand why there is so many votes for Henrik, but for my money Carter is the man.
Brian Burke