Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Post by Meds »

Picker of Cherries wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 pm I like the Canucks chances against Nashville as long as the Canucks don’t play U2 as their entrance song. If they do, all bets are off.
:lol:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think Nashville is a good matchup for us. They are tough, have a goalie that can steal a game or 2 and have some playoff experience. Won’t be a pushover series, and I hope we don’t take them lightly. They could be a sleeper team in the playoffs. They are coming off a massive points steak down the stretch and if they keep rolling hot into the first round, we could get trucked if the team underestimates them. It’s either the gonna be Nashville in 5, or Canucks in 7.. and I have no idea how it’s gonna go until 4:20 of the second period of the second game.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
BoS
CC Rookie

Post by BoS »

I’m just glad they’re not playing the Kings in the first round.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

At least NSH has cooled off a bit - they've won 4 of their last 10, but before that went 16-0-2 :shock:

The last 5 games their stats are almost identical to ours (5-3-1) - GA 15 - Shots against, 1 shot difference per game - they have an edge in shots for, but most importantly, their PP is clicking at 40%, almost double our 21.4%.

Last 10 games show similar comparisions as well
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

BoS wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am I’m just glad they’re not playing the Kings in the first round.
Amen to that. Let them frustrate Edmonton or Dallas - preferably Edmonton, though Vegas might be able to get in their heads.

As for Nashville, they won't be an easy out but Vancouver should beat them if Demko and Hughes play to form and the rest of the team executes Tocchet's structure and gameplan; I believe Tocchet's coaching and play structure will be the difference in this series moreso than any individual player contribution.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I'm glad we aren't facing Vegas in the 1st Rd. Was a bit worried about that - secondly, thinking an LA series would have been boring as shit, so out of the three possibilities, glad its Nashville.

Though, as MCP mentioned - they won't be a push-over. They are one of oldest teams in the league, lots of individual playoff experience with 3 cup winners on the roster.

I think Van is the bigger team, and certainly seems to have the depth. Just need to assign little things Lindholm to shadow Forsberg and his line, and have Joshua forecheck the crap out of Josi - and they don't really have much else.

We won all three against them this year - but that was early in the season, while Van was rolling - and prior to Nashville's crazy streak.

Goaltending is going to be interesting. Saros is a smaller guy, who's best season was 20-21 and I don't think he has really replicated that. There are moments where he is all-world, but others which he looks pretty average. Vancouver has had his number as well. Its remarkable how healthy he has been for the Preds though. Demko, currently the better goalie - but can he stay healthy?

I guess we will find out if Nashville's win streak was the real team, or their last few games?
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 am I'm glad we aren't facing Vegas in the 1st Rd. Was a bit worried about that - secondly, thinking an LA series would have been boring as shit, so out of the three possibilities, glad its Nashville.

Though, as MCP mentioned - they won't be a push-over. They are one of oldest teams in the league, lots of individual playoff experience with 3 cup winners on the roster.

I think Van is the bigger team, and certainly seems to have the depth. Just need to assign little things Lindholm to shadow Forsberg and his line, and have Joshua forecheck the crap out of Josi - and they don't really have much else.

We won all three against them this year - but that was early in the season, while Van was rolling - and prior to Nashville's crazy streak.

Goaltending is going to be interesting. Saros is a smaller guy, who's best season was 20-21 and I don't think he has really replicated that. There are moments where he is all-world, but others which he looks pretty average. Vancouver has had his number as well. Its remarkable how healthy he has been for the Preds though. Demko, currently the better goalie - but can he stay healthy?

I guess we will find out if Nashville's win streak was the real team, or their last few games?
As for first round match ups go, Nashville is probably the best for the Canucks. Perhaps Edmonton but if the refs decided to go full "me, me me" mode, that could have been a horrible match up for the Canucks.

Every team that made it in the West is a threat but Nashville was probably the best outcome possible for the Canucks.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

These are the teams Vancouver lost more than one game to. Do you see the similarities in the line ups?

2 Phi
2 Seat
3 Av
2 Veg
2 Min
2 Dal
2 StLou
3 LA
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Canucks have re-signed Podz for 2 more years, no word yet on the amount per year.

Rick Dhaliwal says it is 1 mil per year
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Good deal for a bottom 6er with upside. We'll need a few of those $1-2M salaries.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 am These are the teams Vancouver lost more than one game to. Do you see the similarities in the line ups?

2 Phi
2 Seat
3 Av
2 Veg
2 Min
2 Dal
2 StLou
3 LA
Good post; something to think about.

On the one hand, there were loses to Minny, Colorado, Seattle, and LA during that mid-to-late February window where the Canucks were simply turning in bad performances and beating themselves so its hard to really tell if the opposition was the main contributor to those losses. With the caveat that some of this is due to that period the Canucks weren't playing like the Canucks (and that some teams are not on this list because the Canucks were playing out of their head or caught the opposition in a bad spot), I'd say that by and large, compared to the average NHL team, these teams largely have play a bit more lunch bucket, with a bit more structure/patience, size on defense, and are a bit more spread out offensively, either due to impressive depth or the lack of a high end player to key in on. Most of these teams also kill penalties well.

There are certainly exceptions to this -- e.g., Minnesota makes no sense. And these descriptions wouldn't be the first used for a team like the Avs, but they are elite at their game when healthy, have outstanding defensive depth, and have a great work ethic. Dallas, too, is much closer to playing this way, but like the Avs, I am comfortable saying straight up they are better on paper and have a high work ethic and so its just not a surprise to give away points to better teams.

But the record against LA, St. L, Phi (who was playing well when the Canucks played them), and Seattle might be most instructive. These teams aren't scary. These teams most represent the qualities I listed. These teams approach the game with the mindset of neutralizing what the opposition does best -- make what you do well less effective -- exploiting mistakes rather than exploiting weaknesses. The Canucks definitely had challenges getting points against these teams, even though setting aside crappy late February games, the Canucks played decently in these contests.
Hono_rary Canadian
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 am Good deal for a bottom 6er with upside. We'll need a few of those $1-2M salaries.
... and we get to keep developing this guy. He could still develop into the prototypical late blooming power forward.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I see Pods going Hogs wild next season... if he plays well enough to get the same kind of opportunity on a scoring line. If Piggy can drive the cart for 11.6, I can't see why Podz can't be shotgunning with Jimothy & The Flow instead of throwing out Suter or 4th liners with them again.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am I see Pods going Hogs wild next season... if he plays well enough to get the same kind of opportunity on a scoring line. If Piggy can drive the cart for 11.6, I can't see why Podz can't be shotgunning with Jimothy & The Flow instead of throwing out Suter or 4th liners with them again.
Nils was picked in the same draft - just 30 picks later - and has proven he can score at the NHL level. Pods hasn't even done that at the AHL level.

I look at some of the picks behind him, and man, that was a bad pick at 10th OA. Boldy was right there... York... Harley. At least it wasn't Turcott bad, but still.

Jesus, starting to sound like the Chef. Posting time out.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

What I'm saying is that Hogs had the same fall from grace that sent him down to the AHL before he had his comeback. AHL scoring isn't the end all be all, otherwise Dries and Bains would be full-time NHLers. I don't think anyone expected this year's Hogs anymore than anyone expected comeback J. Dicky. I also won't go out on a limb and expect either will continue to be consistent 20+ goal scorers for the rest of their careers.

I'd rather give Pods the same chance, even if it's a dozen games as Hogs got with 11.6... if he takes a another big step early next season. Is it any worse than giving those offensive spots to a carousel of Mikheys, Laffys, PizzaMen, Birdbones 2.0, etc? We can't go back in time to redraft.

Btw, I've mentioned before how utterly wrong I was on Boldy :oops:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!