Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2022/23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2022/23

Post by Per »

So, on Wednesday Björklöven beat Djurgården in Stockholm 6-2. Djurgården were demoted from the SHL last seasson and probably thought they could bounce right back, like HV71 did when they were demoted the year before. Not looking so right now, as they are sitting in fifth place, but of course it will all be determined in the playoffs, when the winner of the Hockeyallsvenskan playoffs get promoted to the SHL.

So anyway, this game gave me a chance to take a look at Lekkerimäki, and I thought people might be interested in hearing about him.

Well, he is not standing out, but is a talented young player. In the game yesterday I noted his hockey IQ, he creates stuff. He often does the unexpected, he sets up other players, but I think he lacks the physicality necessary at this level to excel. Now, that can be fixed. Hockey smarts - you either have it or you don’t. He has it. But he is not strong enough to excel against men - yet. Maybe in a year or two if he works out. We should also take into account that in the last year he has battled mono and then had a concussion, so it's not strange that he isn't at his physical peak.

Now, clearly Djurgården believe in him, as they use him on their powerplay. In the game yesterday Lekkerimäki logged 17:38 of ice time. Only seven players on the team had more, and I assume most of them are d-men. He was one of six players on Djurgården to have three shots on goal, no one had more. He is on their second powerplay formation, as I see five players had more pp toi. He was on the ice for both of Djurgården’s goals, which is why I originally figured it was the first powerplay formation; I mean this is the formation that scored both of their goals. He was also on the ice for Björklöven’s short handed goal and the empty netter, so since pp goals don’t count, he was a -2 for the night.

But what I mainly take from this is that the coach thinks Lekkerimäki should be on the ice during powerplays and when you pull the goalie.
That's a good endorsement in my book. On the other hand - their coach sucks, so..... :look:

So my take is, he has the skill but lacks the physicality. He says himselfhe needs to work on his play along the boards, so it seems he is aware of his Achilles heel, which is good. Then maybe he can do something about it.

These are highlights from the game, Björklöven’s third goal is short handed. We have this tiny little French Canadian, Maxime Fortier, who skates like the wind. Djurgården were very upset, as he comes directly from the bench and takes the ice when the guy he is replacing still has some way to go… refs missed it, and basically, players cheat on the line changes all the time.

Last edited by Per on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2022/23

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Thanks Per! Your a boss!

Always good to have a first hand option rather than people forming opinions from click bait articles!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Thanks Per :D

el rey del mambo
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:52 am Thanks Per :D

Did they do a French version???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Tciso wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:03 am

mais oui :lol: :lol: :lol:

el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Corn yes?
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:08 am Corn yes?
Check out the youtube comments.

It seems very popular with French listeners.

It is an infectious toe-tapper admittedly :wink:
el rey del mambo
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:15 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:08 am Corn yes?
Check out the youtube comments.

It seems very popular with French listeners.

It is an infectious toe-tapper admittedly :wink:
It's like their unofficial national anthem. Nothing like celebrating a good surrender.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ABBA released songs in Swedish, English, German, French and Spanish. Their Spanish language album Gracias Por La Música was a huge hit throughout Latin America, especially the hit single Chiquitita, but I love the story about the Spanish version of I Have A Dream.
Pete Seeger was in Bolivia, and he heard some children sing a song. He thought that’s a nice song, maybe I could add a Bolivian folk song to my repertoire. So at his next cocert he told this story and sang or hummed a few bars of it and asked if someone knew this song. Yeah, he was told, it’s ABBA. I don’t think he ever performed it. :lol:

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lekkerimäki out eight weeks with foot injury. :(
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Per wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:38 am Lekkerimäki out eight weeks with foot injury. :(
Per. This one is on you. Yep. I am shooting the messenger :)

Speedy recovery, LetterKenny.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So yesterday they held a charity game here in Gävle between Toronto and Three Crown veterans in honour of Börje Salming and with all proceeds going to ALS research.

Teams:
Tre Kronor Legends

Coaches
Bengt-Åke Gustafsson, Curt Lundmark and Stig Salming

Goalies
Viktor Fasth
Johan Holmqvist

Defence
Tomas Jonsson
Nicklas Lidström
Tommy Sjödin
Dick Tärnström
Mikael Lindman
Jonathan Ericsson

Forwards
Thomas Rundqvist
Anders Carlsson
Marcus Näslund
Willy Lindström
Peter Forsberg
Fredrik Bremberg
Ove Molin
Mats Näslund
Mikael Samuelsson
Henrik Zetterberg

Toronto Maple leaves Alumni

Coaches
Darryl Sittler, Tiger Williams and Inge Hammarström

Goalies
Mikael Tellqvist
Jonas Gustavsson

Defence
Calle Johansson
Al Lafrate
Todd Gill
Staffan Kronwall
Mark Fraser
Per Gustafsson

Forwards
Mats Sundin
Mikael Renberg
Dave McLlwain
Brad May
Alexander Steen
Fredrik Modin
Jonas Höglund
Rick Vaive
Rickard Wallin

Before the game they also retired Salming’s number and raised an image of him to the rafters. Very emotional. You saw old NHL veterans with tears running down their face. The Canadian and Swedish anthems were sung and during the raising ceremony a well known Sami performer sang a jojk, a traditional Sami song or chant that doesn’t have words, but just sounds, in honour of Börje’s Sami heritage.

Ceremonial puck drop by Salming’s eldest daughter, Teresa.

Zetterberg started the scoring for the Three Crowns, but the Toronto Alumni won 3-1 after goals by Höglund, Fraser and Modin.

Forsberg, a famously sore loser, was interviewed after the game, and commented ”I’ve lost games that have hurt more than this. It’s been a very long time since Toronto won anything, so I’m sure they are happy to win this.” :lol:

Stig Salming, in the blue jacket, is Börje’s big brother. Their father died in a mining accident when Stig was 9 and Börje 5, so Stig always made sure to look after his brother. After he joined the SHL team Brynäs, he made sure they also acquired his brother.
Stig has had a rough year; in the past year he lost his wife to cancer, his brother to ALS and his 93-yo mother to complications after falling and fracturing her femur. She died just days before Börje’s funeral. Stig flew up to Kiruna to be there for her surgery, but then flew back to Stockholm for Börje’s funeral and then received a phone call that she had died.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Guess they had to have Tiger Williams on the bench, because if he had been on the ice none of the others would have agreed to play…
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, Björklöven were eliminated in the semifinal of the SHA by Djurgården, who in turn were defeated by Modo in the final.
Modo gets promoted to the SHL. Bet Näslund, the Sedins, Edler, Gradin et al celebrated. Guess Forsberg celebrated too much, because the next day it was all over the media that he and his wife are separating… :wow:

Meanwhile, in the SHL playoffs, Petey’s old team Växjö to my great relief beat Skellefteå to become Swedish Champions.

Guess Petey may have popped open a champagne bottle as well.
Some of the guys he played with are still on the team.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tciso wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:03 am

It was short.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.