Moving forward (poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What should the team do?

Blow it up - fire sale / rebuild
39%
Let it be - the pieces are here
4%
Bruce, there he goes - New coach
4%
Small move(s) - fill in the cracks
17%
It'll never happen, but get new owners
35%

Total votes: 23

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Moving forward (poll)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

OK in all seriousness do the Canucks really want to keep inching closer to the end of the year to sign Bo? He’ll just say “fuck you I’ll take my chances as a UFA to get what I think I deserve”. This is shaping up to be Gaudreau/Calgary 2.0. It’s very real that the Canucks could lose Bo for nothing.

…and lose Kuzmenko

Our deep forward group could look awfully thin next season. Not sure we should be trading the likes of Boeser and Garland until we know what’s happening with Bo and Kuz
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:44 am OK in all seriousness do the Canucks really want to keep inching closer to the end of the year to sign Bo? He’ll just say “fuck you I’ll take my chances as a UFA to get what I think I deserve”. This is shaping up to be Gaudreau/Calgary 2.0. It’s very real that the Canucks could lose Bo for nothing.

…and lose Kuzmenko

Our deep forward group could look awfully thin next season. Not sure we should be trading the likes of Boeser and Garland until we know what’s happening with Bo and Kuz
Even if trading BB and Garland allows for upgrading Myers and Stillman as well as resigning Bo and Kusmenko?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:44 am OK in all seriousness do the Canucks really want to keep inching closer to the end of the year to sign Bo? He’ll just say “fuck you I’ll take my chances as a UFA to get what I think I deserve”. This is shaping up to be Gaudreau/Calgary 2.0. It’s very real that the Canucks could lose Bo for nothing.

…and lose Kuzmenko

Even if trading BB and Garland allows for upgrading Myers and Stillman as well as resigning Bo and Kusmenko?
Do you take that gamble? Maybe Bo has gave an ultimatum Allvin and Ruth don’t want to meet whether they make cap room for him or not and maybe Bo is inclined to go to market at this point, he’s having a good season like Gaudreau had last season, not a best case scenario if you’re a Canuck fan. Are the “rumours” of Stevie Y kicking the Horvat tires real or fake? Maybe Bo has indicated he’d sign with the Wings and Stevie is OK with Bo’s ask? I wonder if Stevie Y is trying to dump Larkin on us for Bo? I highly doubt he wants to trade Edvinsson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He most certainly does not want to trade Edvinsson but his team lacks leadership and scoring up front. They have Seider already and could probably afford to lose SE if they were to gain a top center with plenty of mileage left on the odometer like Bo.

If the raisin were offered Edvinsson I think the trade would've already happened. Larkin is a cap dump, not gonna get them Horvat
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well, where are we at now?

I'm thinking that ownership has to have eyes in their head to see that this is not a coaching problem and that it is the collection of players and that something is sick in the mix.

Boudreau likely finishes the season as ownership won't want to pay another coach not to be here.....and it's not coaching that is the problem.

I suspect that JR/PA recognized early that this group wasn't where it needed to be. Obviously they said as much, but I think they were intentionally understating things to appease the Aquaman. The performance this season should be enough to give them nearly carte blanche in making changes and building this thing up how they want to. New coaching staff, overhaul the roster.

I wonder if Miller being re-signed was also a move to appease ownership. Essentially saying that management believes in this group so we are going to lock up the top scorers.....but leaving themselves the room to move him before the contract kicks in with its NMC.

I'm thinking we see a tear down starting at the TDL and that Boudreau leaves at the end of the season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Rutherford and Allvin are smart then they don't wait until the TDD. They don't panic either. They just quietly recognize that big moves are needed. They let every GM know they are open for hockey trades only and they go to market. They don't try to make moves to salvage the season. If moves are made that do salvage the season great but the intent should be to build for next year while not obviously tanking.

They need to look hard at the cap and their needs going forward for the next 3 years. Look at who they want back and make sure they get them done before years end. Patience now more than ever but the goal should be to clean out the stink and rot. They have been vocal and rightly have not named names but you have got to figure they know names. So work to clean up what does not fit.

If they panic to save the season they will get taken to the cleaners. If they plan for next season they should be able to clean house.

Rumours have persisted that there is a market for Myers. Well, explore it hard and take best offer that does not involve keeping cap.

Look hard at moving one of Boeser or Garland.

Look hard at keeping Bo and if it means a choice between Bo and Miller then I say trade Miller before his NMC kicks in.

Try obviously to get picks for 2023. Try to clear cap. Try to improve the D. For the life of me I don't know why we were not in on the Marino deal and if we were why we could not better the deal that Pitt got.

The mix here is not working. If they know why or suspect why then they must correct that and if that means blowing the season so be it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 am He most certainly does not want to trade Edvinsson but his team lacks leadership and scoring up front. They have Seider already and could probably afford to lose SE if they were to gain a top center with plenty of mileage left on the odometer like Bo.

If the raisin were offered Edvinsson I think the trade would've already happened. Larkin is a cap dump, not gonna get them Horvat
Larkin is over a ppg and is 26. Plays both ends of the ice. How in the fuck is he a cap dump?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 am He most certainly does not want to trade Edvinsson but his team lacks leadership and scoring up front. They have Seider already and could probably afford to lose SE if they were to gain a top center with plenty of mileage left on the odometer like Bo.

Larkin is over a ppg and is 26. Plays both ends of the ice. How in the fuck is he a cap dump?
And he's one of the fastest skaters in the league.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:21 pm If Rutherford and Allvin are smart then they don't wait until the TDD. They don't panic either. They just quietly recognize that big moves are needed. They let every GM know they are open for hockey trades only and they go to market. They don't try to make moves to salvage the season. If moves are made that do salvage the season great but the intent should be to build for next year while not obviously tanking.
That's why I think the deals happen closer to the TDL. Wouldn't making trades now that move out key pieces send the signal that you are sinking the ship.

However, if you are putting a pin in it, and you want 2023 picks, then it does make sense to pull the trigger now on the best assets for the best offer from the team that is most likely to whiff and land you a lottery pick.

With the massive changes in the front office are your sources all dried up now Wids, or do you still hear things occasionally?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I still hear things occasionally but the reliability of what I hear is questionable. So no more direct sources. At this point the only things I hear are what we read about and say ourselves here in this forum so I don't trust my "sources" to have any insider knowledge. If that changes and I have news I will say whether it is a trusted source or not. But for now, nada.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Time to stick a fork in this season and start the massive roster overhaul it needs. People are talking about the apparent pedestrian market for the likes of Boeser, Garland and other bigger-contract players, but so what? Move them out for a bag of pucks, save the cap space for this offseason, and bring up the likes of Lockwood and savour the tankage.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:29 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:21 pm If Rutherford and Allvin are smart then they don't wait until the TDD. They don't panic either. They just quietly recognize that big moves are needed. They let every GM know they are open for hockey trades only and they go to market. They don't try to make moves to salvage the season. If moves are made that do salvage the season great but the intent should be to build for next year while not obviously tanking.
That's why I think the deals happen closer to the TDL. Wouldn't making trades now that move out key pieces send the signal that you are sinking the ship.

However, if you are putting a pin in it, and you want 2023 picks, then it does make sense to pull the trigger now on the best assets for the best offer from the team that is most likely to whiff and land you a lottery pick.

With the massive changes in the front office are your sources all dried up now Wids, or do you still hear things occasionally?
It won’t be for 2023 picks. By the time the “2023 picks” are making hay in the league - 3 - 4 years from now…Petey will be pushing 30 and Bo will be in his 30’s if we resign him. I be making moves for already drafted prospects a couple years into their development curve or current young NHL roster players. Listen, the player drafted from the pick we gave up to get Miller back in 2020 is still developing in Europe and still nowhere near ready to make hay in the big boy pants league. We need to build around the age of our core untouchables like Petey and Hughes.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Keep us in the loop. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:43 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:29 pm

It won’t be for 2023 picks. By the time the “2023 picks” are making hay in the league - 3 - 4 years from now…Petey will be pushing 30 and Bo will be in his 30’s if we resign him. I be making moves for already drafted prospects a couple years into their development curve or current young NHL roster players. Listen, the player drafted from the pick we gave up to get Miller back in 2020 is still developing in Europe and still nowhere near ready to make hay in the big boy pants league. We need to build around the age of our core untouchables like Petey and Hughes.
Stamkos
Hedman
Kucherov
Vasilevskiy

Tampa's Cup winning core that are within 3 years of each other. Kucherov didn't become any sort of impact player in the NHL until 4 years after his draft. He became a 1st line staple in year 6.

Your core is who you build around and lean on to lead the team.....this includes helping the young players develop as they join the organization and work from being AHL call-ups to NHL regulars.

Our "comparable" would be

Bo
Petey
Hughes
Demko

Bo is likely on the outside range for being a core player for this group if they were smart enough to actually enter a real rebuild today. But right now he's the kind of player you want in his role.

Hughes is not impressing this year in the defensive end, and maybe his illness shot him in the foot for this season, but he's not a guy who is going to mentor any sort of big two-way blueliner.

Petey is has shown this year that he might turn into that 1st line center who can lead a team, however I'd prefer someone who is a little more in your face when it comes to accountability etc. for the rest of the team. The things you hear about Crosby driving the bus and letting guys know when they aren't pulling their weight.....we need that. The death stare only goes so far.

Demko looked to be a franchise goaltender at the end of last season. Right now he looks to be a franchise boat anchor. However he's really only in his 2nd full season as the regular starter, so we can give him a longer leash for now.

It's fine to try and grab picks right now, especially in this upcoming draft that is deep. Getting picks in the 2024 draft isn't terrible, however if you are looking to rebuild it's better to pull that band-aid off now while you still have a 4 man group that could lead a team that competes for a Cup when 3 of those guys are still under 30.

You don't trade for picks that are in 2025 or beyond.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:51 am Keep us in the loop. :lol:
To be fair, Dude is parroting things JR has said.
____
Try to focus on someday.