NHL Reffing - protect the stars?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Kenji
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL Reffing - protect the stars?

Post by Kenji »

In principle I think everyone is the same and infractions are infractions. I hate the idea of game management and the split between regular season and no-whistle, no-accountability playoff hockey.

Buiuuuuut let’s say the refs were directed to call it like the NBA. I am not sure what a travel violation equivalent would be in hockey but I’m sure they could call more marginal violations in a way that rewards skill players and cuts down even more on holding, interference, slashing, and agitators in general.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Kenji wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:49 am In principle I think everyone is the same and infractions are infractions. I hate the idea of game management and the split between regular season and no-whistle, no-accountability playoff hockey.

Buiuuuuut let’s say the refs were directed to call it like the NBA. I am not sure what a travel violation equivalent would be in hockey but I’m sure they could call more marginal violations in a way that rewards skill players and cuts down even more on holding, interference, slashing, and agitators in general.
I think in general more power plays rewards the skilled players.

Like most have said, I would welcome consistent reffing, which would in turn protect the stars. But as we've seen since we all began watching hockey, consistent reffing is not in the NHL's blood. In fact, it's the opposite like Kenji mentions (playoffs vs regular season).

Kind of goes back to my original question - without consistent reffing, what protects the players? Gretzky had Sementhead, Pettersson has Schenn. I really don't want to see a roster spot on each team for a designated goon (and the staged fights that would come with that), so is "team toughness" the answer? Should the league mandate consistent calls (vs game management)?

Thinking back to my original thoughts - Topper has me leaning that all players should be considered equal (Topper's commie ideas are spreading). The calls and disciplinary actions are already far too inconsistent to start inferring that less skilled players should be penalized a little more when they take out a star (impossible to define) - plus the player's union would want no part of that.

So to me, it goes back to "Call the damn game that way it should be called - first period, OT, first week of season, Game 7".
Does the NFL let pass interfernce go in the Super Bowl?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:05 am Topper has me leaning that all players should be considered equal (Topper's commie ideas are spreading).
Old school equality vs your original woke equity ideals
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:50 am How about we add in yellow and red cards like Soccer? The hit on Petey was a yellow card hit. 10 minute misconduct, and if you do it (or something equally stupid and dangerous) again, and you are gone for a game, in addition to whatever other penalty/suspension you may get.

I admit that I am a firm believer in 10 minute misconducts for stupidity or dangerous plays.
I like this line of thinking. In soccer the red card hurts the team because the player is tossed and the team is now playing a man down for the rest of the game. In hockey it's 2 or 5 minutes.....a team with a good PK and good goaltender barely feels the effects, and even in the event that the penalized player is given a game misconduct, the team often doesn't suffer for that because it's rarely a key player who takes that penalty.

Maybe penalize the team for that 10 minutes, or at least make every hit from behind like that an automatic major penalty. No room for interpretation, you smack a guy from behind into the wall and you go sit for 5. In general the guys who commit these infractions are 3rd and 4th line players, so them getting 2 for roughing or something and then a 10 minute misconduct is not that big of a hit to the team overall because they can usually do without the guy for that 10 minutes as he doesn't eat a ton of minutes. Make these stupid plays actually hurt the team and it'll clean up because teams will start to police themselves.

Imagine if the Oilers were shorthanded for 15 or 20 minutes a game just on those type of infractions.....McDavid doesn't really kill penalties, so now your best player isn't seeing the ice for nearly the same amount of time, or he's burning minutes and stamina killing penalties. The Oilers team, from the owners right down to the stick boys, are going to be pissed with the guy(s) who are making these bone-headed plays.

Maybe the Oil are a bad example because McDavid is otherworldly and would probably thrive with the extra skating room.....but ya'll get it. :P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:05 am
Kenji wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:49 am In principle I think everyone is the same and infractions are infractions. I hate the idea of game management and the split between regular season and no-whistle, no-accountability playoff hockey.

I think in general more power plays rewards the skilled players.
Speaking of skilled players and consistent/inconsistent officiating.....

Anyone notice the goal McDavid scored last night where he blasted up the ice and as he cut to the net around Hughes he used his free hand to grab and throw Hughes' stick off and away from him? It wasn't just protecting his stick from a reaching poke check, it was also throwing it away from him. He does this ALL the time. He's so damned good at handling the puck with one hand at speed that he often uses his free hand to grab, bat away, and even hold, defenders sticks. If a defender did the same thing with a free hand they would get penalized.

Is this a legal play when you're on offense? Or is this just something that they let star players do because it often leads to exciting scoring plays?

I'm all for protecting skilled players and giving them the opportunity to shine and hit the highlight reel, but I also hate seeing them consistently get away with little infractions that give them an extra advantage when "lesser" players would end up getting whistled for interference or holding.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:50 am How about we add in yellow and red cards like Soccer? The hit on Petey was a yellow card hit. 10 minute misconduct, and if you do it (or something equally stupid and dangerous) again, and you are gone for a game, in addition to whatever other penalty/suspension you may get.

I admit that I am a firm believer in 10 minute misconducts for stupidity or dangerous plays.
yeah. I would like to see more 10 minute misconducts as well. Get them in there for diving and stupid shit like licking people.

But, would the hit on Petey last night been a better call if it was a 2 and 10 (boarding minor and a misconduct) with coincidental roughing minors to Pearson and the other guy?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:04 pm I like this line of thinking. In soccer the red card hurts the team because the player is tossed and the team is now playing a man down for the rest of the game. In hockey it's 2 or 5 minutes.....a team with a good PK and good goaltender barely feels the effects, and even in the event that the penalized player is given a game misconduct, the team often doesn't suffer for that because it's rarely a key player who takes that penalty.

Maybe penalize the team for that 10 minutes, or at least make every hit from behind like that an automatic major penalty. No room for interpretation, you smack a guy from behind into the wall and you go sit for 5. In general the guys who commit these infractions are 3rd and 4th line players, so them getting 2 for roughing or something and then a 10 minute misconduct is not that big of a hit to the team overall because they can usually do without the guy for that 10 minutes as he doesn't eat a ton of minutes. Make these stupid plays actually hurt the team and it'll clean up because teams will start to police themselves.
I like this line of thinking - 2 misconducts and you're gone. Teams get penalized more often for majors, etc - maybe do away with the double minor? It would be a way to try to keep the cheap hits out of the game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:23 pm

yeah. I would like to see more 10 minute misconducts as well. Get them in there for diving and stupid shit like licking people.

But, would the hit on Petey last night been a better call if it was a 2 and 10 (boarding minor and a misconduct) with coincidental roughing minors to Pearson and the other guy?
Yes.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!