Canucks Preseason - 2022

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Preseason - 2022

Post by Curmudgeon »

Tciso wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:59 am
Cornuck wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:11 pm Yep, as long as he doesn't start costing us too many goals, he should stick.
I fear the $4x5 extension that costs us a 1st to get out of.
Well, if Poolman got 4x$2.5 million...wait, Benning got canned, we're all clear.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:47 am Good article at CA about how the cap works, LTIR, etc - and getting cap compliant to start the season.
Great write up, thnx corn
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:47 am Good article at CA about how the cap works, LTIR, etc - and getting cap compliant to start the season.
Great article, Corn, it puts the 11th hour Dickinson trade in a bit better perspective as well. What a mess, though.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:49 am
Tciso wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:59 am
Cornuck wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:11 pm Yep, as long as he doesn't start costing us too many goals, he should stick.
I fear the $4x5 extension that costs us a 1st to get out of.
Well, if Poolman got 4x$2.5 million...wait, Benning got canned, we're all clear.
Curmudgeon, you are an optimist. Wtf are you doing here? 😐 😀
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Lol, I try. You know, sometimes I even ask myself that.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I'm assuming it's the result of a hit from the Oilers game?
𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀 Faber 🔥🎙@ChrisFaber39
Quinn Hughes absent from practice here at UBC.

Connor Garland is here and skating on a line with Bo Horvat and Vasily Podkolzin.

Brock Boeser and Ilya Mikheyev in non-contact jerseys.

10:30 AM · Oct 10, 2022
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:42 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:23 am Aman and Hoglander are different than Karlsson and Rathbone. They made the team because he outplayed others. Karlsson and Rathbone are on the club because of injuries and because they don’t need to clear waivers. As soon as Boeser, Mikheyev and one defensemen is back, pretty sure Karlsson is sent down to Abby, but that could take awhile which let’s Karlsson practice with the big club for a bit, and learn the NHL game better. If everyone is healthy (a rarity), Rathbone will go down, too. MacEwen has to clear waivers so he needs to be better than one of the 13 regular forwards on the team to justify taking him. I’m not sure that MacEwen beats out Joshua for a fourth line role and that’s the roll he is suited for. He won’t play centre above Aman, and Hoglander can play better up and down the line-up when injuries occur. With both Mikheyev and Boeser close to returning, I don’t think there are any forwards the Canucks will claim off waivers, depending on how they feel about Dermott’s injury and play, they could grab a Dman, but I don’t expect them to. Hopefully the additions of Stillman, Joshua, and Lazar add enough grit to make not having MacEwen okay. If he can’t make the Philly line-up, he probably only has an enforcement roll. If Joshua can provide some toughness, check better, play some centre and take draws when needed, he is likely a better NHLer, even if he perhaps can’t fight as well? I like Zac, but I don’t see a claim for him coming today.
This is how it shapes up when Boeser and Mikheyev return:

Pearson-Miller-Boeser
Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland
Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander/Aman

Would you rather have one of Hoglander or Aman sit, or a player like MacEwen, even if it's not him specifically? I don't think either of the Swedes gains by sitting and watching, they need to play, and I certainly wouldn't sit Joshua for either. Karlsson should have been sent down by now, I don't think he's shown much since Penticton.
What are the chances that all 12 stay healthy for a week. Hog still will play lots as the 13th forward. He doesn’t deserve to be sent down. MacEwen has 130 games of NHL experience. Hoglander has 116. Don’t see how Hoglander needs much more seasoning than Zac.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:24 am
𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀 Faber 🔥🎙@ChrisFaber39
Quinn Hughes absent from practice here at UBC.
I'm assuming it's the result of a hit from the Oilers game?
Yeahno, apparently he's been a little under the weather for the past few days...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:13 pm Yeahno, apparently he's been a little under the weather for the past few days...
NON-COVID, as we have to clarify these days...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:18 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:13 pm Yeahno, apparently he's been a little under the weather for the past few days...
NON-COVID, as we have to clarify these days...
Right you are, I think Coach said he's expecting him at practice tomorrow.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 pm Oh top guys like Petey have to become a little testier,
I'm not sure I agree with that idea...
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:55 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:42 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:23 am Aman and Hoglander are different than Karlsson and Rathbone. They made the team because he outplayed others. Karlsson and Rathbone are on the club because of injuries and because they don’t need to clear waivers. As soon as Boeser, Mikheyev and one defensemen is back, pretty sure Karlsson is sent down to Abby, but that could take awhile which let’s Karlsson practice with the big club for a bit, and learn the NHL game better. If everyone is healthy (a rarity), Rathbone will go down, too. MacEwen has to clear waivers so he needs to be better than one of the 13 regular forwards on the team to justify taking him. I’m not sure that MacEwen beats out Joshua for a fourth line role and that’s the roll he is suited for. He won’t play centre above Aman, and Hoglander can play better up and down the line-up when injuries occur. With both Mikheyev and Boeser close to returning, I don’t think there are any forwards the Canucks will claim off waivers, depending on how they feel about Dermott’s injury and play, they could grab a Dman, but I don’t expect them to. Hopefully the additions of Stillman, Joshua, and Lazar add enough grit to make not having MacEwen okay. If he can’t make the Philly line-up, he probably only has an enforcement roll. If Joshua can provide some toughness, check better, play some centre and take draws when needed, he is likely a better NHLer, even if he perhaps can’t fight as well? I like Zac, but I don’t see a claim for him coming today.
This is how it shapes up when Boeser and Mikheyev return:

Pearson-Miller-Boeser
Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland
Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander/Aman

Would you rather have one of Hoglander or Aman sit, or a player like MacEwen, even if it's not him specifically? I don't think either of the Swedes gains by sitting and watching, they need to play, and I certainly wouldn't sit Joshua for either. Karlsson should have been sent down by now, I don't think he's shown much since Penticton.
What are the chances that all 12 stay healthy for a week. Hog still will play lots as the 13th forward. He doesn’t deserve to be sent down. MacEwen has 130 games of NHL experience. Hoglander has 116. Don’t see how Hoglander needs much more seasoning than Zac.
In Hoglander's case, it's ice time, and we'll see how it plays out, but I'd still prefer to have a bit more of a larger physical presence up front, either in the lineup or at the 13th spot. I don't care who it is, and they currently don't have a player like that readily available in Abby either.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 pm Oh top guys like Petey have to become a little testier,
I think that by "Testier" - we just mean we don't want Petey to fall over every time he's touched. Pre-season looked good in that regard, with less players falling throughout the game.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:54 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm
I think that by "Testier" - we just mean we don't want Petey to fall over every time he's touched. Pre-season looked good in that regard, with less players falling throughout the game.
Testier doesn't mean dropping the gloves to fight. Sometimes you can take a penalty with a slash in the ankles or keep your stick up instead of taking a crosscheck to the chest during an after-whistle scrum. Say "Fuck you" instead of "Thank you very much, may I have another?"

Physically push back once in awhile instead of always looking at or pleading with the refs. They're going to target you more if you just keep taking it. And if your teammates don't respond, there is a much bigger culture problem in the room.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:40 pm Testier doesn't mean dropping the gloves to fight. Sometimes you can take a penalty with a slash in the ankles or keep your stick up instead of taking a crosscheck to the chest during an after-whistle scrum. Say "Fuck you" instead of "Thank you very much, may I have another?"

Physically push back once in awhile instead of always looking at or pleading with the refs. They're going to target you more if you just keep taking it. And if your teammates don't respond, there is a much bigger culture problem in the room.
I agree with all of that - this team doesn't have that certain "presence" that makes the opponent think twice. All part of the team culture, and honestly I don't think we've had it since Rypien left.