Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 22-23 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 22-23 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:06 pm I think it's also worth investing in players that are "homegrown". Kids who grew up cheering for the Canucks. Those players will bring more hometown pride to the jersey and, in theory, will be better for the overall culture.....and this organization needs that.
Like Jake?

:mrgreen:
Jake, Kane, lil' trojan.......
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Leaves no surprise are looking for dmen and scoring help up front.
It’s likely we see them add some sandpaper to their d-core and acquire some more toughness on the blue line.

Some intriguing names who are cheap cap hits, good penalty killers, and aren’t afraid to mix it up in the dirty areas of the ice include Vancouver Canucks defenseman Luke Schenn. There’s going to be a ton of trade interest in him as the Canucks are expected to move out several players before the deadline. He makes only $850,000 and is a pending free agent.

...Ideally, the Maple leaves can acquire someone with an offensive punch, Some other forwards to keep an eye on include Frank Vatrano of the Anaheim Ducks, Andreas Athanasiou of the Chicago Blackhawks, and Conor Garland of the Canucks.

As we witnessed with the Timmins trade, the Maple leaves do have some young forwards who entice other teams.

The likes of Alex Steeves, Fraser Minten, Nick Abruzzese, Bobby McMann, Roni Hirvonen, Matthew Knies up front, and young defensemen William Villeneuve and Topi Niemela could be prospects we see discussed in deals in the coming weeks.

If Dubas moves either Niemela or Knies, expect to see a blockbuster deal shaping up as these two are the Maple leaves’ top two prospects.

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leaf ... d-trading/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ All the Leaves prospects suck except for Knies.

And we better not be trading Schenn... re-sign him!
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 pm ^ All the Leaves prospects suck except for Knies.

And we better not be trading Schenn... re-sign him!
Topi Niemela is a pretty solid RHD.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:06 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:50 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:35 pm We trade Miller for Barzal we lose a lot of goal scoring. A lot. Barzal is an ASSists Man
While definitely true, I think that you move Miller if anything remotely like this comes your way. I just have a feeling we are going to be hating his contract by the time we are nearing the end of it's second season.
Do you believe Tri- Cities Barzal’s $9.2 million and his no goals is more palatable?
Yes. I think that Barzal contributed decent offensive numbers in a Trotz system and that he's pacing at more than 1.0 ppg this year now that Trotz is not there. I think that because he's four years younger than Miller which means the contract should age better, and the limited sample size of viewing that I've had of MB is that he doesn't mail it in the way JT does in a pout.

I think it's also worth investing in players that are "homegrown". Kids who grew up cheering for the Canucks. Those players will bring more hometown pride to the jersey and, in theory, will be better for the overall culture.....and this organization needs that.

So would I take 7 years of Barzal at $9.2M until he's 34, or 6 years of JT Miller at $8M until he's 36? Barzal. Every time.
Is the Ghost of Isles ex-coach Barry Trotz still haunting Matthew “Craig Janney” Barzal and his $9.2 million per? 2 goals in 21 games? On pace for 8 on the season? Like Doc says - will he be bringing that hometown zing like Virtanen, Garrison, Stencher, Juulsen, etc?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would you trade Bo’s goals for Barzal’s assists?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:06 pm I think it's also worth investing in players that are "homegrown". Kids who grew up cheering for the Canucks. Those players will bring more hometown pride to the jersey and, in theory, will be better for the overall culture.....and this organization needs that.
Like Jake?

:mrgreen:
Oh, touche. :P

Allow me to rephrase: I think it's also worth investing responsibly in players that are "homegrown".

And to be fair, there was no investment in Jake other than signing him and gifting him a spot.....investment would have been seasoning him in the AHL for a season or two to start to force him to mature.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:02 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:06 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:50 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:35 pm We trade Miller for Barzal we lose a lot of goal scoring. A lot. Barzal is an ASSists Man
While definitely true, I think that you move Miller if anything remotely like this comes your way. I just have a feeling we are going to be hating his contract by the time we are nearing the end of it's second season.
Do you believe Tri- Cities Barzal’s $9.2 million and his no goals is more palatable?
Yes. I think that Barzal contributed decent offensive numbers in a Trotz system and that he's pacing at more than 1.0 ppg this year now that Trotz is not there. I think that because he's four years younger than Miller which means the contract should age better, and the limited sample size of viewing that I've had of MB is that he doesn't mail it in the way JT does in a pout.

I think it's also worth investing in players that are "homegrown". Kids who grew up cheering for the Canucks. Those players will bring more hometown pride to the jersey and, in theory, will be better for the overall culture.....and this organization needs that.

So would I take 7 years of Barzal at $9.2M until he's 34, or 6 years of JT Miller at $8M until he's 36? Barzal. Every time.
Is the Ghost of Isles ex-coach Barry Trotz still haunting Matthew “Craig Janney” Barzal and his $9.2 million per? 2 goals in 21 games? On pace for 8 on the season? Like Doc says - will he be bringing that hometown zing like Virtanen, Garrison, Stencher, Juulsen, etc?
The coach of Barry Trotz is not haunting Matthew Barzal and his 85 point pace.
Chef wrote: Would you trade Bo’s goals for Barzal’s assists?
Quit obfuscating, nobody is talking about trading Bo for Barzal.

I would trade Miller's 10G/9A and minus-10 for Barzal's 2G/21A and plus-4.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can toss in the Capitals to the pile of teams wanting Mr. Captain Bo Horvat on their squad.

Eklund with a few quips:
Big rumor today….the Canucks are looking to move for a D-man and the Capitals are attempting to climb back into the playoff race…..Horvat has been a player Laviolette has always wanted….
leaves, Hawks and Sharks working to bring Karlsson to Toronto with Chicago absorbing some cap in return for assets
Jakob Chychrun will be returning to the lineup on Monday and as many as 8 teams will have scouts there I am told.
AZ will want to move him before he gets injured again.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:37 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 pm ^ All the Leaves prospects suck except for Knies.
All 160lbs of him? :lol:

He put up some decent numbers in the Finnish league a year ago.

But c'mon, it's the Finnish league!

And he's NOT putting up decent numbers in the Finnish league this year, so yeah...

This runt will never be an NHLer, don't listen to the Leaves fantasy hype.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:34 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:37 pm
All 160lbs of him? :lol:

He put up some decent numbers in the Finnish league a year ago.

But c'mon, it's the Finnish league!

And he's NOT putting up decent numbers in the Finnish league this year, so yeah...

This runt will never be an NHLer, don't listen to the Leaves fantasy hype.
Hey bro, he's 5'11, 170lbs! aha, Niemela just needs 10-12 lbs of muscle.

Recent Norris trophy winners:

Adam Fox 5'11 182lbs
Cale Makar 5'11 187lbs

The new wave bruh!
Quinn Hughes 5'10 180lbs
Tory Krug 5'9 194lbs

And of course my good man, I'm not saying he will be of the Norris trophy winning ilk as the aforementioned, but merely showing you, you don't have to be 6'3 215lbs Rob Blake size to be a highly effective NHL dman in this modern era, of course that helps, but if you get a couple smaller uber talented dmen, you can surround them with the giant dmen to handle the day-to-day rigors of the combatant NHL games + playoffs.
When he was drafted, he profiled as a modern-day defensive defenseman and the organization raved about his off-puck instincts. In the two seasons since then, Niemelä’s offensive game has progressed in a big way and he is now considered among the best young blueliners playing outside the NHL.

His coming out party was the 2021 World Junior Championships, where he tallied eight points in seven games on his way to being named the tournament’s top defenseman, and he has only continued to build off of that performance. He is currently representing Finland once again at the World Juniors reboot in Alberta and, as of this writing, has four assists through four games.

Niemelä graded out near the top of the league in just about every offensive category in 2021-22, and he was particularly impactful at even strength.
Of the 32 points he recorded on the season, 20 of them came at even strength, including nine goals. He wasn’t simply racking up secondary assists either and was directly involved in creating a lot of offense for his team, with 22 of his points being either a goal or first assist.

He took on a sizeable workload for such a young player, and though his goals against numbers were slightly below average relative to both his teammates and the rest of the league, his ability to drive offense from the backend still helped him finish near the top of the league in relative goals for percentage.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I was thinking and I know it's totally risky, but I think the Geezer and the Chipmunk should consider trading Demmer to fix our RS D once and for all. I know Demmer's stock is a bit low right now, but if they can get a good, youngish RS D like BirdBones Dobson (or take your pick for a RS D, u guys know better than me), they should do it. Just roll the dice with Spencer Marty Brodeur (the goalie off the street) and give him the ball. I know our 2 guys in Abby are not exactly inspiring confidence right now as both their numbers are very mediocre. If both of them are not rdy/good enuff, just trade for a cheap backup somewhere. In the offseason, give Ian Clark the green light to pick another 1-2 project netminders who he feels he can groom into the NHL that we can sign in the free agent market.

Secondly, I think they should just unload the contracts of Garland and/or Mikeheyev and/or Pearse, then use that money to resign BoHo. Just give BoHo the same contract as Millzy if they have to, he deserves it. He's our captain, played his whole career here, represents us well and has been loyal to the franchise. I don't mind going cheap on the wingers, only short-term deals and close to league minimum wagers.

There are a number of avenues they can take to fill roster spots:
a) Sign guys who might be a bit on the older side, but were good players in the recent past and has a good chance for a bounce back year (ie: Vanek/Chiasson types).
b) Save some money for close to camp and see which UFAs are still out there and desperate to sign (ie: Tyler Motte).
c) Go for the next international sensation who wants to try his hand in the NHL (ie: the Kuzmenkshow)
d) Just play young guys on entry lvl deals (ie: Podz/Hoggy/Karlsson types)
Pay up for our core and star players, as for the rest of the roster, whatever... who cares.

As for Millzy, I like him, but I don't really care what they do with him. If they keep him, then fine. Despite his short comings, he's still a good player and I think he still has a few good years in the tank. If they can find a taker who's willing to commit to that contract and we can get a couple picks/prospects, that's fine too.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Trading Demko is risky business, Snoozi. You need Nets in this game Jabroni

RS Myers with one year remaining at this trade deadline is more attractive to teams than people realize. The lack of quality D in the game is a problem and will be a hot commodity at the TDL. Garlands contract combined with the shitty season he is having ain’t appealing not to mention he’s a winger. Centres as we know are valuable and at the deadline if the Canucks are out, one of Bo or JT will be moved for a good return
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

You keep Demko.

As Toronto/Edmonton have proven, it's almost impossible to trade or sign a top-tier goalie.

Even $10Mx4 left, Bobrovsky is getting outplayed by Spencer Knight this yr. in Florida.

Imagine being stuck with a $10M backup?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If Chicago wants that chance at 1st overall.

I wonder if we can move that 1st rounder +Myers+Poolman for Seth Jones with $2.5M retention, $7M cap hit x 8.

Hughes-Jones top pairing IT"S OVER! Also, but got damnit, we chop off $6m and $2.5M.

Hughes-Jones
OEL-Schenn

or

OEL - JONES
HUGHES - SCHENN