July 13 2022 is Free Agent Day

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: July 13 2022 is Free Agent Day

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:11 am
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:25 pm and he sure as shit isnt soft.
He sure is soft as shit...
Lol I’m blowing some smoke.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:39 am So John Hokey is basically saying that he and his wife just didn't want to be in Cowtown for another 8 years. It didn't really even matter if they weren't that close to the east coast, they just wanted to leave and go elsewhere.

Of course he probably would have preferred NJ, PHI or NYI, but I think once those deals didn't materialize, he was happy even with going to Columbus for $millions.

Good luck there, JG.
I had read that JG was offered more by New Jersey, so there's probably something else afoot
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Did his wife not just graduate medical school? I read somewhere that she was an active part of the decision. They agreed on the general area they wanted to return to but she was looking at specific hospitals she wanted to practice in or maybe its residency. In any event, I think they both wanted out of Calgary and both wanted to be as close to the East coast as they could get but that she had a list of preferred destinations for her career. So maybe it's just that simple. It was a family decision on what the best fit for both of them was.

I dont think there is any question they wanted out of Calgary and I think should have been more candid with the Flames about that. Her career is important too and if they made the decision in that light then they did what was best for them. Just should have been more candid with Treliving. It would have still hurt but it would have been easier to accept I think.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think he should have told them last summer he intended to test UFA. John Tavares pulled the same bullshit with NYI. Hopefully JT Miller doesn’t pull the same nonsense. Be up front ffs.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:18 am I think he should have told them last summer he intended to test UFA. John Tavares pulled the same bullshit with NYI. Hopefully JT Miller doesn’t pull the same nonsense. Be up front ffs.
Exactly.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:20 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:18 am I think he should have told them last summer he intended to test UFA. John Tavares pulled the same bullshit with NYI. Hopefully JT Miller doesn’t pull the same nonsense. Be up front ffs.
Exactly.
He probably has been. Does anyone here seriously think management has not talked to the JT camp? The media is speculating the shit out of this.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Brad Hunt is off to Colorado for 2 years.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

York Hunt no longer smelling up the backend. No more Chase-ing.

Genis non-moves.

Carl approved :thumbs:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:15 am
Exactly.
He probably has been. Does anyone here seriously think management has not talked to the JT camp? The media is speculating the shit out of this.
Obviously they’ve talked to him. It’s less obvious what was said by either side.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Exactly.
I'm sure they're talking, and Miller is saying he wants massive money on this contract.

Hence Allvin is not giving other teams permission to talk to Miller pre trade.

Hence JR saying to the media "a deal has to make sense".

All of that says they're negotiating, and they are millions apart.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:29 pm
Exactly.
I'm sure they're talking, and Miller is saying he wants massive money on this contract.

Hence Allvin is not giving other teams permission to talk to Miller pre trade.

Hence JR saying to the media "a deal has to make sense".

All of that says they're negotiating, and they are millions apart.
Term is a huge sticking point as well. I suppose the JT camp has an overall figure in mind and the AAV will differ depending upon term. I assume either way too rich at this point. Miller is one year older that Johny Hockey so if we use 9.5 million perhaps a six year term makes sense. But 9.5 is too rich for me. We will see if its too rich for the Canucks.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carl Yagro wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:41 am Genis non-moves.
:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:17 pm
donlever wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:55 am I'm on board with the signing.
Me too - brings a lot to the table that the Canucks lacked. Though scoring consistently isn't going to be one of them.

Its funny though, when the Canucks announced it, my wife's phone beeps, alerting her of the signing, she shows it to me and goes - "Isn't that the guy, who always gets breakaways, and you say 'don't worry, he'll just shoot it into the goalie's crest' when we watch leaves games on HNiC?"
JPP watches leaves games !!!! lol. I was just happy that the Canucks were not the #1 team being scored against on that highlight reel.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:19 am Brad Hunt is off to Colorado for 2 years.

He'll be mountain climbing in Colorado, smoking that sweet reefer at 5280 feet.

"Hike" Hunt
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I'm bullish on the Lazar and Joshua signings. Both can play center, Lazar is righthanded and could be better on faceoffs, but Joshua is strong in that area. Lazar led the Bruins in hits last year, Joshua had 77 in 30 games with the Blues and led them in hits per game. Both can kill penalties, appear to be very solid defensively and strong on the forecheck. Put Lockwood with them, and they'll grind the opposition down nicely.

Not a lot of scouting reports out there on Joshua, but found this write-up from Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stlouisblues/c ... _of_years/