2022 Canucks Draft Review

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2022 Canucks Draft Review

Post by Cornuck »

We ended up with 3 D, 2 F, 1G - a good mix. 2 Swedes, 2 Canadians, a Yank and a Russian. One player barely under 6', but only 17 and growing. I doubt we'll see any suit up for the team within a couple of years, but at least there's a couple of players to keep an eye on. :)

So who are these guys?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R1 P15 Jonathan Lekkerimaki R SWE 5' 11" 171 SWEDEN DJURGARDEN

Pure goal-scorer who can create his own opportunities with an array of deadly shots in his arsenal. Has the potential to produce in a top-six role at the NHL level.

Elite Prospects: That shot may be the best of Lekkerimäki's offensive tools, but it's not the only one. He's also a reasonably deft handler, with the skill to blend pass receptions into dangles, deceptive maneuvering, and a sound mechanical base with the puck almost always handled in his hip pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_yNQO3xMII

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R3 P80 Elias Pettersson D SWE 6' 2" 185 SWEDEN-JR. Orebro Jr.

Fluid-skating two-way blue-liner with size and a solid shot. Needs to work on his playmaking and using his body more efficiently, but projects as a second- to third-pair defenseman.

Elite Prospects: Elias is a good skater with a long stride. He can travel with the puck and is quick out to the corners. Elias is very involved in the game and drives it with a strong first pass or puck travelling. He has good control and his head up. He uses mobility and reach to close gaps and likes to shut down with a hit too. Elias is not only physical, he is highly competitive in his own end too. When his team needs him he steps up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatryJrk_oI

R4 P112 Daimon Gardner C CAN 6' 4" 200 HIGH-MN Warroad

Elite Prospects: Always inside-focused, Gardner’s sense prevails across his shifts. He drives middle lanes, exploits his frame advantages to protect against defenders, and has handling, shooting, and passing skills that all blend into a relatively sophisticated offensive package. Off-puck, Gardner is a constant rotator, who jumps in willingly to help win battles or bully net front defenders to create screens.

“He is frankly a monster on the walls,” said Elite Prospects’ Daniel Gee in an April scouting report.

“Not the greatest skater,” reads a scouting report from Draft Pro Hockey. “Looks choppy on his skates…tends to slow down with the puck on his stick.”

A big bonus for the Canucks is that Gardner is on his way to their own backyard. He’ll be playing next season in the BCHL with the Chilliwack Chiefs, which will give the Canucks lots of opportunities to keep a close eye on his development.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KK8BsRdCb4I

R5 P144 Ty Young G CAN 6' 2" 181 WHL Prince George

Elite Prospects

What makes Ty Young interesting a goalie prospect is, ironically, the fact that he is one of the youngest goalies available. With a September 11th birthday, he’s only 5 days away from not being eligible until next year’s draft. He’s also 6’3”, which is a good height to have for a goalie. At first glance, his .899 sv% doesn’t look great but there are some contextual things to keep in mind.

First, his team — Prince George — was tied for the fourth worst record in the WHL. He also didn’t get into any WHL games until they started trading away their better players, including Taylor Gauthier who was signed by Pittsburgh recently to an ELC as an undrafted free agent, who was arguably the best goalie in the league this season. Prince George’s other goalie is Tyler Brennan, who Bob ranked as the best goalie in this year’s draft at 62nd overall. Despite being almost a full year older than Young (Sept 27, 2003) and being ranked so much higher, Brennan posted an identical .899 sv%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9PxC4e84fo

R6 P176
Jackson Dorrington D USA 6' 2" 192 USHL Des Moines

Elite Prospects

First and foremost, he’s a big guy who looks to play a two-way game. He uses his size to engage physically and can use either his size or his stick to take the puck from opponents in puck battles. He’s also used that size to defend opposing rushes and deny zone entries. Additionally, he had decent gap control and the ability to pivot well to either side.

He doesn’t take many risks with the puck, and can use that safety to make smart breakout passes to help his team transition into the offensive zone. Given the time and space, especially while on the power play, he can make some good passes to set up teammates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMYx5GXEdA

R7 P208 Kirill Kudryavtsev D RUS 6' 0" 200 OHL Sault Ste. Marie

Elite Prospects

Kirill Kudryavtsev is a two-way defender with tons of skill. He played his first season of North American hockey this season as a member of the Ontario Hockey League’s (OHL) Soo Greyhounds, where he scored an impressive 39 points in 68 games. In 2020-21, Kudryavtsev found moderate success in the top Russian junior league (MHL), but his decision to move to a new continent was likely the best choice he could have made to improve his draft stock.

Kudryavtsev has the patience and maturity to let the game come to him rather than trying to force his will on it too often. One common criticism about him, similar to what Shane Wright receives, is that he is good at everything but exceptional at nothing. Kudryavtsev is reliable defensively with an advanced ability to block shots, and he is also a consistent presence offensively, where he makes safe, smart passes with accuracy.

He also provides good support on both the power play and the penalty kill, a level of versatility that makes him a workhorse defender who plays a ton of minutes. He has a good shot from the point, with serious power on both his wrist shot and slap shot, though his accuracy could use some work.

Kudryavtsev is also a good but not great skater. He is smooth with a respectable top speed that allows him to participate in plays off the rush and also to retreat to his own end to make a defensive stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8FP0q6fqTI
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: 2022 Canucks Draft Review

Post by Lancer »

Yeah, I don’t see any of them being roster considerations for another two years at least - likely three.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:12 pm Yeah, I don’t see any of them being roster considerations for another two years at least - likely three.
Yup.

In the meantime it's great having Per here to give us updates on the Swedes.

Per buddy!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Allvin did what was necessary. Attempted to restock the prospect pipeline. It will take a few years to see how that’s working, but he made the picks.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Takes effort to put a post like this together Corn.

Thanks for doing so.

I've done a fair deal of research on all the picks since draft day and have an affinity for 1, 4, 6 and 7.

I have several comments/thoughts on each I could post.

Perhaps later and certainly only 1 at a time around here.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:03 pm Takes effort to put a post like this together Corn.

Thanks for doing so.

I've done a fair deal of research on all the picks since draft day and have an affinity for 1, 4, 6 and 7.

Why don't you like Great Value Pettersson Donny?
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

These scouting reports always sound good but... and this might sound pessimistic (or realistic)... but I think the only guy here who might get more than 50 NHL games is LickHerInTheMaki.

Most prospects, and not just Canuck ones, will be lucky to get a cup of coffee and a refill in the NHL. I don't hold out much hope for any of our 2020 and 2021 picks.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:33 pm I don't hold out much hope for any of our 2020 and 2021 picks.
Lol what did they have left for 4 picks in 20/21?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:31 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:33 pm I don't hold out much hope for any of our 2020 and 2021 picks.
Yeah, not hearing much noise for those 2 years....

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/tea ... 08756.html
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:14 pm
donlever wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:03 pm Takes effort to put a post like this together Corn.

Thanks for doing so.

Why don't you like Great Value Pettersson Donny?
Can we just call him Gus Pettersson?
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Even if we kept all of our 1st and 2nd round picks for those years and they quickly graduated like all of the previous years, the team wouldn’t have been as far along as now.

These lower round picks don’t look like they’re going to amount to much, which is normal for lower picks but we can’t pretend we haven’t gotten amazing contributions from Miller and Garland.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just think shoulders...Doyle wanted Muhkmohammedulin
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What are the odds of a mid first rounder having a meaningful NHL career? 30%?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:31 pm
Yeah a seond and some fifths and sixths I think. Might have been five of them in total.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:13 pm Just think shoulders...Doyle wanted Muhkmohammedulin
Does the Chef let you lick his fingers after these crafty takes? :oops:

If they didn’t acquire Miller who well outperformed pick 20 from 2020 and pick 70 (I think) form 2019, they would have likely been a decent bet to pick from Anton Lundell, Dawson Mercer, Seth Jarvis, or Brayden Schneider in 2020.

This nonsense that gets parroted about the trade being for Mukamadullin is the height of stupidity.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”