Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:55 am Wow that’s pretty crazy! You don’t trade Miller for role players. No way buds. :mex:

Cutting edge buds.
What do you think of what Allvin said?
I’m blown away. He’s no Gordon Gecko but he’s definitely a wordsmith.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:02 am “I don't want a third-line guy in the first round, you can find them in free agency. C+ players, you can find them in free agency. What you can't find in free agency are difference makers. You can't buy difference makers, it's too expensive." - GM Patrik Allvin

I gotta tell ya, I like this Allvin a lot. You don’t trade for or draft role players, bottom pairing players, 3rd or 4th line players. You draft and trade for different makers. It’s why you don’t trade a major asset like Miller for role players. I’m already seeing Lekkerimaki high on updated Top NHL team affiliated prospect lists being described as a Sebastian Aho type!
He also can’t find young right-handed top four defensemen. In the video it looks like he had a decent offer to trade down that he was considering. He should have taken it - fail.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:27 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:55 am Wow that’s pretty crazy! You don’t trade Miller for role players. No way buds. :mex:

Cutting edge buds.
What do you think of what Allvin said?
I’m blown away.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

On John Scott’s pod, JT Miller announces he wants to stay in Vancouver. How do we accommodate Mr. Miller because obviously it’s the best for everyone if he stays here long term
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:sly: q
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:55 pm On John Scott’s pod, JT Miller announces he wants to stay in Vancouver. How do we accommodate Mr. Miller because obviously it’s the best for everyone if he stays here long term
It sounds Ike they are a ways apart. Like between 1.5 - 2 million a year apart. Maybe more. Skunkiar Shah said the Canucks are holding firm at low 40’s (millions) for total money. So over 6 years, 7 million? That ain’t getting it done. I think JT would and should get low 50’s minimum. I’d have no problem with that. 6 x 8.5. Get er done!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:09 pm :sly: q
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:55 pm On John Scott’s pod, JT Miller announces he wants to stay in Vancouver. How do we accommodate Mr. Miller because obviously it’s the best for everyone if he stays here long term
It sounds Ike they are a ways apart. Like between 1.5 - 2 million a year apart. Maybe more. Skunkiar Shah said the Canucks are holding firm at low 40’s (millions) for total money. So over 6 years, 7 million? That ain’t getting it done. I think JT would and should get low 50’s minimum. I’d have no problem with that. 6 x 8.5. Get er done!
I think he’s getting traded. When that is remains to be seen
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I would guess he does want to stay and negotiations may go well into the season. JR mentioned a week or so before the trade deadline as his hard deck so Miller's posse will work to that deadline if he truly wants to adorn the stinky whale forever

I want Miller to stay. He's a warrior and is a helluva good player.

I'd rather trade Bo to be frank and I would expect he could be transformed into that righty we need
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:41 pm
I would guess he does want to stay and negotiations may go well into the season. JR mentioned a week or so before the trade deadline as his hard deck so Miller's posse will work to that deadline if he truly wants to adorn the stinky whale forever

I want Miller to stay. He's a warrior and is a helluva good player.

I'd rather trade Bo to be frank and I would expect he could be transformed into that righty we need
I agree about Bo vs Miller. Bo is a good guy but that’s the problem he’s a “good guy” as in Trevor Linden “good guy”. The “good guy” days are over for ole Chef. Let’s raise the asshole quotient of this team a la the Curt Fraser Tiger Williams era
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

lol old time hockey DonCherry blah blah he always says. Now he all of a sudden want angry guys. I say I want players to be a bit angry and mean and I’m a thug. Hilarious. :lol:

I’d trade Bo for the right return. Pickle is he’s two years younger than JT and will come in a fair bit cheaper. Only guys here I’m married to keeping are the Mule, Thatcher and Quinton.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

If JT wants to stay, we can sign him any time this fall. Hell, if he had a bad season, we can sign him in the spring for less. But, sooner is more comfortable for us fans. And, don't they all say they want to stay, right until they leave.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, of course Miller wants to stay but he was also clear that they were not close to a deal. He also does not want the distraction of this heading into the season. Sure sounded to me like he will not cave in and will insist on getting paid, both in term and cap, for what he feels he is worth. He has laid this at Allvin's feet. Pay me or trade me.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...or he's politicking.

The Bizarro World Ryan Kesler as it were.
DeLevering since 1999.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

How many teams will be able to afford Miller if he hits the market next summer? How many are good teams? The Blues maybe with the Tarasenko and O'Reilly contracts ending.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:45 pm How many teams will be able to afford Miller if he hits the market next summer? How many are good teams? The Blues maybe with the Tarasenko and O'Reilly contracts ending.
You keep making that point Curm.

Could Florida afford Tkachuk?
DeLevering since 1999.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

The Panthers didn't sign Tkachuk as an UFA though. More just trying to piece together teams that out of the gate could make it work without trading quality players for nothing or dumping contracts with quality assets.

Wouldn't it make sense to try to understand that if they start the season status quo? Would Kadri signing lower than his ask, Miller reverting to PPG production, and limited feasible, attractive landing spots be advantageous to the Canucks in their efforts in re-signing him?