Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Madcombinepilot »

With the season over, I figure its about time for the new thread to start.

Last years summary, I stood by the 20-21 statement that he should be building for this upcoming season. With the new management and coaching regime, we saw a glimpse of what could be possible with this group, with us being a top 10 team after the changes. The question is still there: can this team compete in the playoffs? There has been MASSIVE turnover on the roster in the last 2 seasons, and the upcoming off season will see more, but not as much as the last 2 seasons. JB had faults (the listings are many) but he did seem to improve from his first couple years here. Now, with the reigns being handed to Allvin, we get to see the new direction he wants to go.

2nd round of the playoffs or bust.

Out from last year:
Bailey, Rempal, Juulsen, Bowey, Dries, Brisebois, Dowling and Burroughs. One thing JB did ok was get some bottom talent back on the farm. If these guys get resigned, it should all be 2 way contracts as they set the 'minimum standard' for veteran callups from the farm. They are ALL past their windows, all had their shot at the show, and are here now to simply provide veteran leadership in Abby and bottom 6 depth.
[Edit: Dries and Brisebois signed 2-way deals]
Halak and Brad Richardson.. just walk away from these contracts. The backup goalie spot should be able to be filled at training camp by Martin or Mikey, and if not, a backup can he signed for cheap. Richardson just walks.
Chaisson.. I am torn with him. I am ok if he wants to sign a 800k 1 year deal to be out 13th forward. Its nice to know that we have a serviceable guy who can spot fill the middle 6.
Dickenson - Needs to be moved. He doesn't suck as a person or a player, just sucked playing for us. not sure if it was culture or systems..
Poolman - Not sure if he is ever going to play hockey again. could be LTIR forever
Sutter and Ferland - LTIR for ever and ever. never play again. like ever.

While the pipeline is dry of legit top end prospects, there are a couple of blue collar kids down there that potentially could fill bottom 6 forward roles this season (mostly Lockwood) and Rathbone might make the bottom pairing. IMO, The knock on Rathbone (while he apparently has the skill set) is that this team already has enough smaller, shifty guys (Hughes and Petey) and I don't think Rathbone is ready to play a mans game in the playoffs. There might be a trade market for him, and while we are not in a position to give away assets, a 'hockey trade' for Rathbone is a possibility.. Unless the plan is to develop him for 1 more year and see if he can replace OEL, and Move OEL Next offseason... and that's a path I am down for with for Rats.

Lineup coming back (as on the roster before draft day) - lines not fixed, just posted for speculation)

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boesser
Garland - Miller** - Kuzmenko (if he makes the team) **Miller, depending if he traded or not**
Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander (could be swapped with Kuzmenko) ** if no Miller, Horvat is 2C, and we need a replacement 3C
(Lockwood) - Lammiko - Highmore (Lockwood if he makes it out of training camp)

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - War Giraffe
Rathbone - Dermott/Poolman
Hunt

Demko
Martin (or Mikey)

[Edit: Thanks for the lineup fix, JPP!]
There are a LOT of questions on this team, as well as the path we take, and it all comes down to Jonathon Tanner Miller... If they keep him, they could lose him next year for nothing due to the cap, but if they move him, it needs to be this offseason at his highest value. They then will need to replace him with a 3rd line center (as Horvat slides back up the chart), HOPEFULLY get a 2nd paring RHD, and a 1st round pick.. If the 3rd line center doesn't come back, they we need to sign a 3rd line center as a UFA, and get additional assets with JT trade. If we go the route of keeping JT, it can be done if a few players are willing to take a bit of a haircut on salary, and NOT gouge for the maximum dollars (see the post from Tciso about a month ago where he broke down salaries). I am good with either direction the team takes, but they better have an extension hammered out before august, or JT hits the bricks.

One UFA I would take a long hard look at it Tyler Motte. if Motter wanted to come back, at anything less than about 1.8m, I would take it. simply put, by every analytic out there, he makes the 4th line better. I don't want to pay anyone on the 4th line more than 1.5, But I think I would spend it on Motte. He has an engine that doesn't quit, and plays hard in the playoffs. If Lockwood was the spare 'bottom 6' forward, and got into 40-50 games, that would be fine with me.

After that, its a question of asset management and completing a draft. This organization needs prospects if they are going to try and open a 8-10 year competitive window, as the team will need guys playing above their values on ELC's.

Team needs:
- Sort out JT
-- If JT stays, our 4th line needs an upgrade (bring back Motte if price is right)
-- If JT goes, fill the hole at 3C, and sort out the 4th line
- upgrade RHD. Still looking for the long term partner for Hughes. the team cant afford to spend 8 years looking for a match like they did with the twins. Schenn works in a pinch, but they need an upgrade on him. If that means Myers has to go to afford it, so be it.
- Organizational depth. Either Draft some guys or get a haul for JT.. but sort this out or anything we do is a a short term solution for a long term problem.
- Lastly, fix whatever the problem is (Culture, system, leadership - WHATEVER) so the team starts on time next season. Its a dual issue. We cant afford to have a first 25 games like we did, and we have to figure out how to score the first goal sometimes.
Last edited by Madcombinepilot on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Zedlee »

Good first post. Lots in there.

To your comments I'll add:

Boeser: he has the Canucks over a barrel. He can just accept his QO and hit free agency after that, if the Canucks don't give him what he wants. Quite a conundrum for Canucks.

Dickinson: I'm betting he has a resurgence and fills the 3C spot. He was good in Dallas and hopefully he can find his game again.

Miller: will be traded. With new management in place, the urge to make a splash, acquire a high draft picks and prospects and put their stamp on the team will be too hard to pass up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Halak and Richardson are UFA.

Why not keep Abby boy Juulsen around?

Poolman and Dickinson should be shot into the sun. A nice parting gift from a boozer.

If Klimovich makes the team it will be a long season
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 pm
Lineup coming back (as on the roster before draft day) - lines not fixed, just posted for speculation)

Garland - Miller** - Klimovich (if he makes the team) **Miller, depending if he traded or not**
Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander (could be swapped with Klimovich) ** if no Miller, Horvat is 2C, and we need a replacement 3C

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - War Giraffe
Hunt

Demko
Martin (or Mikey)
I hope you mean Kuzmenko here... D. Klimovich is very young, and apparently hasn't had much coaching. Was a healthy scratch of bunch in the playoffs for the AHL Canucks. He is an outside shot of ever making the NHL, let alone in a top 6 role.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So what's the story with Mike DiPietro? Is there any indication of him developing into an NHL goalie yet or is he a declining asset?

The team didn't find him a spot for a while during the pandemic, can he recover from that?
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Zedlee wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:10 pm Boeser: he has the Canucks over a barrel. He can just accept his QO and hit free agency after that, if the Canucks don't give him what he wants. Quite a conundrum for Canucks.
Actually Boeser has TWO years to go before he can "hit free agency".

Also if he chooses to sign the qualifier, Canucks would probably take him to cutdown arbitration:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 60#p471660

I predict Boeser signs for something like $6.5M x 5.

And I'm good with that, he had a rough season but he's a 30-goal 30-assist guy (his pace over his career).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:45 pm So what's the story with Mike DiPietro? Is there any indication of him developing into an NHL goalie yet or is he a declining asset?

The team didn't find him a spot for a while during the pandemic, can he recover from that?
I'd be surprised if he is re signed. He has regressed since sitting out the season before last after a promising rookie year.

Was awful last year, especially when it really counted. Silovs is the kid I think they will try to develop in Abby.

And Blob is right about Klimovich. He'll be hard pressed to be a good AHLer next year. He is working on his game out in Delta this summer I have read.
el rey del mambo
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 pm

Garland - Miller** - Klimovich (if he makes the team) **Miller, depending if he traded or not**
Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander (could be swapped with Klimovich) ** if no Miller, Horvat is 2C, and we need a replacement 3C

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - War Giraffe
Hunt

Demko
Martin (or Mikey)
I hope you mean Kuzmenko here... D. Klimovich is very young, and apparently hasn't had much coaching. Was a healthy scratch of bunch in the playoffs for the AHL Canucks. He is an outside shot of ever making the NHL, let alone in a top 6 role.
I did indeed. fixed, and thanks! (I was getting a bit drunk while making this years ! :D )
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

If Dickinson is still here at seasons start I expect him to have a better season. Some players take a bit of time to adjust to a new team, and with the coaching change and all the other covid crap didn't make it any easier. I'm back & forth on Miller, but I think it would be best to trade him IF the return is good. I think Boeser gets resigned, I doubt he wants to change teams right now after going through all the emotional issues with his dad passing. The D needs a bit of a makeover and the only way I see that happening is through a Miller trade.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...unless, perhaps, it's to Minnesota.

I understand Guerin is under the gun with Parise and Suter buy outs ao not even sure it could realistically occur.

But, if anywhere, that may be the place he would want to go.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Not sure if Minnesota can do much in the next 3 years. The Parise/Suter cap hit will be $12M+ this upcoming season, then 2 more years at almost $15M. I'm not even sure they can sign Fiala to a new contract without moving someone like Dumba out. Can't see how they can take on Boeser.
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:21 pm I'd be surprised if he is re signed. He has regressed since sitting out the season before last after a promising rookie year.

Was awful last year, especially when it really counted. Silovs is the kid I think they will try to develop in Abby.
Was never impressed by Mikey. Never had any faith even without last year's regression.

Also, the new assistant to the GM and Abby GM has been pumping the shit out of Silovs this summer. They no likey Mr. Mikey.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:54 pm ...unless, perhaps, it's to Minnesota.

I understand Guerin is under the gun with Parise and Suter buy outs ao not even sure it could realistically occur.

But, if anywhere, that may be the place he would want to go.
Minnesota is hooped. They have to unload Fiala not because they want to but because they have no choice. You’re only trading Boeser to Minny if you are taking a similar contract back. The only thing Minny can take back is picks and prospects
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yep, no idea the severity of Billy's issues, just sayin' that would be the place if Boeser had a choice.
DeLevering since 1999.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

If Dickinson is still here come training camp, he’ll have stiff competition for a roster spot.

If Boeser is still here come training camp, his mobility needs to improve. A leaner frame would do him wonders.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

everyone talks about Petey and Hughes, but I think the ace in hole the Canucks have is Demko, that's what Toronto and Edmonton don't have, a franchise goalie.

bubble demko was like patty roy or hasek got the team far in the playoffs, he's only going to get better as goalies age like fine wine.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.