Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I know which I’d prefer.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:42 pm I know which I’d prefer.
You’ve made that very clear, yes.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:28 pm Playoffs - 5/6 years, 5 series wins.

Playoffs 2/8 years, 1 series win, one intramurals win.
Guys who insist on playoffs every year can't handle a rebuild.

Oh they might CALL for a rebuild... but they can't handle a rebuild.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:17 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:28 pm Playoffs - 5/6 years, 5 series wins.

It was a comment regarding each GM’s tenure here. Try to keep up.

But keep up with the nonsense - it’s what you’re good at.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:31 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:17 pm

It was a comment regarding each GM’s tenure here.
I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about.

You've criticized the Benning years a gazillion times due to a lack of playoffs.

I'm suggesting you can't handle a rebuild.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:31 pm But keep up with the nonsense - it’s what you’re good at.
Oh yes, poster Blob is a bastion of non-nonsense. :lol:

But of course Mëds would agree with you, that's the main thing. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:03 pm Ehrhoff was a welcome addition and pretty important piece for their best years.
And MG didn't want to shell out beyond $4.5m ish per for him, even though he was the best QB the team had ever since Lumme.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:52 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:03 pm Ehrhoff was a welcome addition and pretty important piece for their best years.
And MG didn't want to shell out beyond $4.5m ish per for him, even though he was the best QB the team had ever since Lumme.
We did get a 4th rd pick for him after playing 2 seasons for us. Put him up in the ring of honour!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:52 pm
He was signed away from Van for one of the worst contracts ever at the time. He likely had those numbers in mind for Van and MG said no
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

^Sucks tho' as Hoffer was a good fit with the twins at the time on the PP.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:24 pm
Topper wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:59 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:53 pm
Topper wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:56 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:34 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:23 am
I never understood all the animosity towards Gillis.
Me either
He did nothing for the future of the team.

Tinkered with 3rd and 4th line was all he did.

Was fortunate the Sedin's developed beyond anyone's expectations because there was nothing coming along to replace the WCE without them.
He at least didn’t leave the team cap strapped. The prospect pipeline is no better than when he left.
He left the team with one of the oldest rosters in the league chocked full of trade protected contracts that cost additional resources to move on from.
Ballard and Booth were bad mistakes but they didn’t give up huge assets to acquire these guys. Neither guy fit in though. But they were both compliance buyouts.

Edler and the twins were signed to solid long term deals.

They had a legit top 4 D in 2014 when Eye Bags left with a shit load of cap space, a lot of placeholders in place and a couple of good young players. Horvat, Marky, Tanev. Edler was 27. Hamhuis, Bieksa and Harrison on D. Biter, Hansen, Higgins, Mathias up front. No need for more placeholders at that point.

They had a good piece in Kesler to move.

To me cap space is damn near as important as having a good pipeline in a hard cap system.
Nice line up for 2010, not so for 2015.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Shitty year, but bet Bo -resigns $7.75

Wifey: over a million??????????????? or make the wife happy.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

I've been pretty dormant this season but I guess the latest shitshow with the Pearson injury has spurred me to vent a little.
I didn't get to hear all of the Rutherford presser today but what I did hear didn't answer much of the questions I had before.

From Iain MacIntyre's article on Sprotsnet.ca (https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... nd-injury/):
"Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford told Sportsnet late Friday that he was unaware that there was any concern about Pearson’s medical care until Vancouver defenceman Quinn Hughes told reporters after Thursday’s 5-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning that his teammate’s injury 'wasn't handled properly.' Upon learning of Hughes’ comment, Rutherford said he spoke with general manager Patrik Allvin and coach Bruce Boudreau, and that both were also unaware there had been any concerns with Pearson’s treatment beyond the setbacks in his recovery."

How does this even happen? They have how many hundreds of hockey people in the front office this season, and the status of a veteran roster player had each and every one of them in the dark? Jesus Christ. Even if you've delegated, the GM and President should be aware of the situation of every and all roster players in my opinion. This franchise is one gong show after another.

Again from MacIntyre:
“'We want to talk about what happened, the decisions that were made and why,' Rutherford said. 'We want everyone involved to have a say and be able to talk to each other and ask questions. That’s very important."'

So you want to get involved with a players ill health after the fact, instead of being directly involved from the get-go. That is some brain trust in charge of operations. Tanner was having a piss poor start to the year and in my opinion was likely going to end up as one of the first casualties of this new regime. But now what? Especially if his career is over, the team won't even get a meager asset in return. This is just like Benning V.2 - a management group that appears to be completely bereft of leadership (remember the COVID outbreak, trotting out Green to address Virtanen, and so on and so forth), and also seem to have no plan or at best a plan that keeps changing directions. For examples: signing Miller before deciding what to do with Horvat; coming up with or signing off on a marketing campaign about playoffs and unfinished business and then coming out and trying to sound like you knew things could unfold this way and stating success never happens as fast as people would like (uh, we would of all been happy with playoffs this year, a pretty low bar), saying you are hamstrung by the cap but still going out and making moves/spending money on forwards instead of D and then saying the cap is worse than you thought. Christ on a cross - every Tom, Dick and Tuna knew we were cap hooped and that was before signing Boeser, Miller, Mikheyev, & Kuzmenko before releasing any pressure on cap constraints beyond turfing Dickinson (which came after those other moves) and eating a proverbial dick by paying a 2nd round for the privilege of doing so. And the cap going up is his answer today? Keeing Boudrau as a lame duck coach and constantly throwing him under the bus publicly at every opportunity and now rumours of Tocchet coming in. Oh boy, the fun just never stops.

It took 40+ years but this franchise finally has this life-long fan feeling pretty much indifferent to tuning in to games. Congratulations!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:47 am I've been pretty dormant this season but I guess the latest shitshow with the Pearson injury has spurred me to vent a little.
I didn't get to hear all of the Rutherford presser today but what I did hear didn't answer much of the questions I had before.

From Iain MacIntyre's article on Sprotsnet.ca (https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... nd-injury/):
"Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford told Sportsnet late Friday that he was unaware that there was any concern about Pearson’s medical care until Vancouver defenceman Quinn Hughes told reporters after Thursday’s 5-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning that his teammate’s injury 'wasn't handled properly.' Upon learning of Hughes’ comment, Rutherford said he spoke with general manager Patrik Allvin and coach Bruce Boudreau, and that both were also unaware there had been any concerns with Pearson’s treatment beyond the setbacks in his recovery."

How does this even happen? They have how many hundreds of hockey people in the front office this season, and the status of a veteran roster player had each and every one of them in the dark? Jesus Christ. Even if you've delegated, the GM and President should be aware of the situation of every and all roster players in my opinion. This franchise is one gong show after another.

Again from MacIntyre:
“'We want to talk about what happened, the decisions that were made and why,' Rutherford said. 'We want everyone involved to have a say and be able to talk to each other and ask questions. That’s very important."'

So you want to get involved with a players ill health after the fact, instead of being directly involved from the get-go. That is some brain trust in charge of operations. Tanner was having a piss poor start to the year and in my opinion was likely going to end up as one of the first casualties of this new regime. But now what?
Chinese walls between management/coaching staff and the medical staff.

While general guidelines and timelines may be shared, the last thing in the world you want is management/coaching staff being involved in the day to day of a players medical treatment. That could lead to all sorts of accusations of meddling in a player's treatment.
Rocky Dennis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:47 am ...A management group that appears to be completely bereft of leadership... , and also seem to have no plan or at best a plan that keeps changing directions. For examples: signing Miller before deciding what to do with Horvat; coming up with or signing off on a marketing campaign about playoffs and unfinished business and then coming out and trying to sound like you knew things could unfold this way and stating success never happens as fast as people would like (uh, we would of all been happy with playoffs this year, a pretty low bar), saying you are hamstrung by the cap but still going out and making moves/spending money on forwards instead of D and then saying the cap is worse than you thought. Christ on a cross - every Tom, Dick and Tuna knew we were cap hooped and that was before signing Boeser, Miller, Mikheyev, & Kuzmenko before releasing any pressure on cap constraints beyond turfing Dickinson (which came after those other moves) and eating a proverbial dick by paying a 2nd round for the privilege of doing so. And the cap going up is his answer today? Keeing Boudrau as a lame duck coach and constantly throwing him under the bus publicly at every opportunity and now rumours of Tocchet coming in. Oh boy, the fun just never stops.

It took 40+ years but this franchise finally has this life-long fan feeling pretty much indifferent to tuning in to games. Congratulations!
Aluminum pots
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The PA is investigating and Rutherford welcomes it. If they find nothing, then no harm no foul. Sometimes shit happens, end of story.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Here's a link to the press conference on SN https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/jim- ... n-canucks/
el rey del mambo