Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:26 pm Yes, all night long I have a massive cheese-flavoured kickstand...
Swiss cheese too loose for you
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:28 am if you didn't notice, Miller's face-off has been shit this year.

This guy has been one dimensional and lazy.
Millzy @ his worst is still better than Petey though. It has historically been one of his strengths and he has been one of our better faceoff men, just behind BoHo. I think Millzy can get back up there once he gets his confidence/mojo back. He is still our 3rd best F/O guy; Sheldon Dries is currently 2nd, but with a small sample size.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:19 pm ... and then they invented the blue pill.
Lol...Creeper used to go on and on about those little blue pills...
The blue pill combined with ecstasy, come on Donny, get your rave on, it’s a scene
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Petey is our best 2 way, 200’ Center by a country mile when it comes to defense awareness, his only fault is his face offs which is why he ain’t getting the tough match ups. But visiting teams on the road don’t get last call on match ups so it’s an assignment a coach can only control at home. That being said post face offs Petey makes up for his lack of face off heft substantially defensively, he’s no idiot in that department, extremely dependable.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

'Snoozi :thumbs:

What is Pettersson's career FO%? 41%? I'm sure there was a good reason why Green never used him on the PK. And when BB would likely always have another center on the ice with him to take the draws.

And how many one dimensional lazy players have Canuck fans supported over the years who have never even produced at the same 3 year rate? The dog-piling is ridiculous. Reminds me of the Sedins witchhunt of the past.

Look, I like Bo. I think Petey is one of the best picks in Canucks history, but geez... where has Bo led this team in 10 years? People were all over Petersson's poutiness, lack of mental and physical strength and his #1 center legitimacy until this season. He always had the 200ft awareness but wasn't ready to handle it all the resposibilities early on. Yeah, there was a reason Miller was the #1 center for the last 2 seasons.

Trade the guy if it makes this team better going forward. You'd probably have to trade everyone to do it properly, but the constant harping on one guy because he signed a big contract is absolute nonsense.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bo No Assists is the opposite of Petey, good on face offs but terrible defensively, the effort in the d-zone isn’t there for Bo. He needs to sharpen up in that department
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I kinda like our forward group, and the core of Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, the team is just missing an elite 3rd line, the utility line, forecheckers, shutdown line, PK special ops unit that can chip in goals.

Put that high scoring forward group in front of a
2020 defense unit consisting of:

Hedman-Cernak
McDonaugh-Shattenkirk
Sergachev-Bogo
Rutta-Schenn
Coburn

Vasilevskiy

We'd be steamrolling teams.

OEL&Myers are paid way too much and take up too much cap for their roles.
I wish OEL was making $4.8M(Sergachev current cap hit, but will be 8.5m) and Myers $2.95M(Cernak current cap hit, but will be 5.2m) = $7.75M, instead of OEL $7.26M and TM $6M = $13.26M.

$5.5M of wasted cap.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The guys disappointing this season are the supporting cast members....Garland, Pod, Mickey exleaf
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:45 am The guys disappointing this season are the supporting cast members....Garland, Pod, Mickey exleaf
Yeah for sure Garland, Pod, very disappointing but not so sure Mikheyev, I don’t mind him. I’d add Hoglander into that mix as well but knew before season started that Bruce has issues with Hog so kind of handicapped him at the onset for sure. I’d also add Boeser to a lesser extent, I expected a barn burner season out of him. The wingers which I thought would be our strong suit have been our weak suit for the first quarter of the season, with the exception of Mikheyev our wingers are a root cause for our horrific team defence
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:35 am OEL&Myers are paid way too much and take up too much cap for their roles.
I wish OEL was making $4.8M(Sergachev current cap hit, but will be 8.5m) and Myers $2.95M(Cernak current cap hit, but will be 5.2m) = $7.75M, instead of OEL $7.26M and TM $6M = $13.26M.

$5.5M of wasted cap.
Yeah with those 2 earning 16% of the cap it will be hard for the team to move forward
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:54 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:13 am
Arbour wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:56 am
CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:28 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:51 pm
Arbour wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:35 pm Miller I wouldn't trade unless the offer was something unreal. Even if he plays wing, he does play well with Horvat, although I would prefer to see him with Petey where he provides both physicality and to certain extent protection,
Yeah, Millzy has been good on the wing with BoHo, but if he's not going to centre his own line, I would like to see him play wing with Petey. Millzy has struggled defensively, but faceoffs is one of his big strengths. I think he can help Petey there and take some draws. I know Mikeheyv and Kuzzy has been good with Petey, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Lotto line back together again (Millzy-Petey and Brockstar). Win or lose with our big guns, roll the the dice and see if the lotto line can change our fortunes and help get some more Ws.
if you didn't notice, Miller's face-off has been shit this year.

This guy has been one dimensional and lazy.
He's not hitting as much either. Could he be protecting an undisclosed injury? The difference in his play from last year is pretty profound. I've been on the side of keeping him but, if Miller is not injured, and is as you suggest CrzyCanuck and what appears to be his indifferent play persists, maybe moving him this year might be the solution to finding the money/cap room to sign Horvat. Hopefully it's just some sort of slump and with a few team wins he begins to get his game back. No more blind cross ice passes though.
Honestly, I think Miller could still be moved after christmas. He has n o protection this year, and a team that is on the rise, looking for a veteran who still produces with cost certainty could be interested. In this situation, JT is still worth a 1st (unprotected -- or even 2 seconds), a second line player or 2nd pairing defenceman and a prospect. Not the return some were hoping for, but it clears the contract, gets assets back, and keeps the team young. While I dont believe in 'full tank', this team still needs to be structured and finish the rebuild. we are not there yet.
Madcap…question…are we a trade obsessed hockey nation here on the wet coast? I just had to endure 2 hrs of the Halford and Brough show making trades after trades after trades their entire segment. It’s like that all day long on 650.
Well, I wont speak for others, But I am not. Its pretty rare I am on the 'trade is solution' wagon.

But in this particular case, I feel that by extending Miller (opposed to trading him for assets) is rushing the rebuild and will do nothing but extend our window of "below average mediocrity". This team needs to look at who will be here (and contributing!) in 3 years, and everyone else must go. Not a "fire sale" as some suggest, but a structured replacement of targeted players who will fit the plan of the build... opposed to the bandaid solutions we have seen from whomever is available at that particular moment.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

donlever wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:00 pm Letter from 83 year old, West Van resident who designed rink and stick logo addressed to Frankie.

Dear Sir,

What are you selling – hockey or jerseys? Johnny Canuck didn’t help you last night against the expansion Las Vegas team when you blew a two-goal lead with 10 minutes left in the game. It didn’t help you against Boston, Toronto or Montreal either. What are you trying to establish here? All the different jerseys didn’t help when Bure was here or the Sedins. OK, they came close, but no cup. It’s only been 52 years, Mr. Aquilini.

Tradition and pride in uniforms are a bit of a stretch with your teams. I am prejudiced, as I designed the "stick in the rink" logo in 1970, along with the blue and green uniforms.

Blue and green is the West Coast look, "stick in the rink" is hockey. What are you trying to do with the image of the team? The smart look of a consistent logo and jersey creates a tradition and history and gives team players pride when they put it on, e.g. Montreal, Toronto, Boston and Detroit.

Arthur Griffiths could not stand the money he was losing with poor attendance, so he went to California to get a new look. Coach Harry Neal said when they played in New York on Halloween, they won best costume.

My logo is already established with the shoulder look and the history, but the players must feel they are in a fashion show and that is why they blow a two-goal lead with 10 minutes to go!

I guess the sweater business is doing OK for you – it’s Christmas.

I imagine the "stick in the rink" would look good beside the Stanley Cup.

Maybe our grandchildren will enjoy it, right Francesco?

Yours truly,

Joseph Borovich
West Vancouver
Beauty!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:31 pm Bo No Assists is the opposite of Petey, good on face offs but terrible defensively, the effort in the d-zone isn’t there for Bo. He needs to sharpen up in that department
Bo isn’t terrible defensively. He’s average. I agree the compete level and his read of the play could improve. Miller and Brock on the other hand are getting lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Big disappointment for me so far is Piggy and Podkolzin. I hope the beating he took doesn’t sewer his game any further. Piggy has cement hands. He can get where he wants to go but he’s got no mitts, a weak shot. Pump and dump maybe?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

DeLevering since 1999.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »