“I was wrong about this player”

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: “I was wrong about this player”

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:51 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 pm Pettersson and Hughes

I thought they were both too frail, but they've survived this long.
You’re that draftsman who is drafting the Billy Beane’s and Nolan Patrick’s 10 times out of 9, perfect specimen’s in all facets who score well on scouting reports, but you ignore the X-Factor as it don’t jive with analytics
I'm not drafting anybody.

Nobody thinks I'd be a top 10 GM in the league.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm
Gaudette? Hobey Baker winner - thought we stole one there! So many times he seemed to start pulling it together, then.... well, we all know....
Scored twice against Sweden the other night! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank and Dank. I didn't think they would ever amount to more than decent 2nd line forwards.

Cory Schneider. I thought Gillis screwed that one up bad. Turns out the panic attacks were a real thing and his NHL career, while respectable, did not pan out as an elite with any longevity.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm McDavid. I didn't think he had this battle level in him
Same here.

I thought he would be the best regular season player since Mario Lemieux, but unlike 66 he would get stuffed in the playoffs.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Messier.

I always thought he would become less a self absorbed, selfish, arrogant, douchebag prick as he got older.

I was wrong.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 am Messier.

I always thought he would become less a self absorbed, selfish, arrogant, douchebag prick as he got older.

I was wrong.
Cornuck, your thoughts? :P
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:07 am
I was wrong.
I never had any hope. MCP is must have done a lot of drugs back in the day... ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 am
Mëds wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:07 am
I was wrong.
I never had any hope. MCP is must have done a lot of drugs back in the day... ;)
Jack and Coke is a drug, right??!?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I tend not to get overly enthusiastic about draft picks (which rarely pan when selected later in the draft) or acquisitions. Nor do I get overly critical.

Here are probably my biggest misses:

Brett Skinner. Saw him play in college and thought he was a diamond in the rough. It didn’t cost much to take him (a third rounder?) and I can’t even remember when he departed from the organization, but I remember thinking the team could plan on him developing into an NHLer.

Alex Mogilny/Mark Messier. Mogilny really didn’t disappoint as a Canuck (Messier did), but I remember thinking that the Canucks were going to go back to the Stanley Cup when they had Messier, Mogilny, and Bure (what was that, 97-98?) and it was a total train wreck of a team.

Keith Ballard/Mason Raymond. I had been very impressed with Ballard’s play in both Phoenix and Florida. The price to acquire him was high, but I thought it addressed what a very good team needed to be even better. The Canucks in fact got better, but in spite of Ballard. As for what was given up, I was surprise the Canucks weren’t dealing Raymond and holding onto Grabner. As it happened, Grabner didn’t even make the Florida team and was waived, so the league didn’t view him all that highly. And Raymond? He was an underappreciated asset. Never more than a complementary player, but his game improved (especially in the neutral zone) when I thought he was just a tweener. I later became a pretty big defender of what Raymond brought to the table.
Last edited by UWSaint on Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hono_rary Canadian
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I've whiffed on a number of the Sedin wingers it seems. Always thought - THAT'S THE GUY! Finally!

My missed predictions (thought these guys would fit well)

- Arvedson: Pretty good skater, defensive minded RW, thought, he could take the D-Zone stuff, and let the Sedins take care of the O-Zone. Nope.

- Bernier: Slow as fuck, but big. Would create space in the cycle and stick up for the twins. Go to the net and bang in the garbage. Nope.

- King: His first, what was it, 10-15 games. Couldn't miss the net. Finally, the Sedin's 30-goal winger. Nope.

- Vrbata: Great first season, what the heck happened in season 2? Nada.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:09 am I've whiffed on a number of the Sedin wingers it seems. Always thought - THAT'S THE GUY! Finally!

My missed predictions (thought these guys would fit well)

- Arvedson: Pretty good skater, defensive minded RW, thought, he could take the D-Zone stuff, and let the Sedins take care of the O-Zone. Nope.

- Bernier: Slow as fuck, but big. Would create space in the cycle and stick up for the twins. Go to the net and bang in the garbage. Nope.

- King: His first, what was it, 10-15 games. Couldn't miss the net. Finally, the Sedin's 30-goal winger. Nope.

- Vrbata: Great first season, what the heck happened in season 2? Nada.
lol..I missed on Burrows!! I honestly thought he peaked with Kesler on the 3rd line.. (I totally forgot about that! :D )
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Good topic!

Probably often more wrong than right if I really look back when giving opinion. Is what it is really, we only have a fraction of the available information on players and even if we had more I'm not entirely sure if I'd be right more often or just wrong for different reasons. 8-)

If I was paid to do this I might be a tad concerned!

I guess recently would be Loui Eriksson, I though he might be at least functionally useful.

Luongo's fragile confidence I was also grossly unaware of which caused me to overestimate his level of compete. Thought for sure he'd bring us a Cup.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:34 pm Luongo's fragile confidence I was also grossly unaware of which caused me to overestimate his level of compete. Thought for sure he'd bring us a Cup.
X2.

Fucking Luongo.

I recall he was on after Hours one time and answered a query with.."blah blah blah when we win the Cup yada yada yada"..as a segment of his response.

I Should have known at that moment we were fucked.

Fucking Luongo.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Aaronp18 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:34 pm I guess recently would be Loui Eriksson, I though he might be at least functionally useful.
Luongo's fragile confidence I was also grossly unaware of which caused me to overestimate his level of compete. Thought for sure he'd bring us a Cup.
I think Loui had everyone fooled - a few shifts of good chemistry with the twins and he was here - at least he disappointed right from the start.

And yes - Luongo.... still had some success here, but not consistent when we needed it most (and no, I don't blame 2011 on him alone).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah...Luongo choked in the post season outside of 2011 as well.

Fucking Luongo.
DeLevering since 1999.