The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which Canuck forward should not be brought back for the 2022/2023 season?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 am

Miller
11%
Boeser
10%
Garland
4%
Horvat
No votes
Hoglander
No votes
Pearson
4%
Dickinson
19%
Chiasson
15%
Richardson
10%
Sutter
26%

Total votes: 89

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Post by Cherry Picker »

JR and his crew have big decisions to make this offseason. Are they going for a quick fix, or making major moves to rebuild around a younger core? The defense needs work, but I expect not much to change because of the difficulty moving the larger contracts. Maybe Rathbone replaces Hunt. Hopefully they get a top two right-side defensemen, which probably means a top forward is traded out. The Goalie’s are likely set with Demko and likely Martin as backup. The big questions are at forward. Will Miller’s age when his next contract expires and his salary demands mean he is moved out? Does Boeser’s qualifying offer and lack of speed mean he takes a slow walk out of town? Does Boeser’s lack of value because of his high qualifying offer mean Garland is moved to create cap space instead? Is Hoglander moved because of the perceived lack of trust from the coach? Is anyone even willing to trade a top defensemen or top defensive prospect to the Canucks? What other veteran depth forwards should JR bring back?

In the poll, you can vote against bringing back as many forwards as you want.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If I was the new management group and was looking over the past 50+ games...I would be moving Boeser and Myers out to save cap and increase foot speed. They occupy key roles and regularly have their lack of mobility/coordination/puck handling skills exposed regularly by the faster teams.

They simply earn too much to be this great of a liability and i would move the 2 of them out for sure.

Dicky and Sutter coming back should also be a hard no.

I resign Chase for another league minimum 1 yr. He is cheap insurance who can spot into the top 6 (yes hes a little weak for that role but those affordable utility guys come in handy)
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Is this Martin fellow a proven back up?

...this I can comment in, I don't yet believe so, it appears Demko faded badly at seasons end and while we do not know for certain it is a byproduct of his workload we can, based on eyeball analytics and common sense, make presumptions for the intent of our MB discussions.

Perhaps we need someone we can trust for 25 games as opposed to a 26 year old journeyman with 3 under his belt?

Admittedly I know fuck all about Martin other than what I can Google...so there is that.

How did he look in Abby Megs....is he a credible NHL backup?

Can they even get out from under Halaks cash?

It appears so minimal but he's on our tab for 1.5 next year correct? Do we yet reside in a cap scenario where we can rid ourselves of this player and eat some money.

Is it even worth it?

Is the conversation/dollar amount so trivial as to not matter in the grand scheme?

He's been a credible net minder throughout his career...does he get another shot here?

Don't know....but Demko needs to be protected with at minimum a decent running mate imesho.

I do know this however.

Frankie wants a down payment April 30 for next year's seasons.

He'll get mine for obvious reasons but the bill has arrived and the cost is heavier than last year.

I wonder how much push back the team gets on that?
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Spoke to Deep Throat today, out of the blue. So what he says is:

Petey has issues in the lock room. He wasn't specific and said we will talk over the summer but indicated that there are some issues there. Have no idea what.

With respect to Miller. He has said that he loves Vancouver and has no problem playing out his contract here. But he feels the Canucks should look at all their options. In other words, he is not keen on re-signing here. He is a Trump loving Republican and his wife wants return to live in the States. He has not asked for a trade but has somewhat indicated that the Canucks may want to consider that. I expect that both parties will call it a disagreement on cap and term and the Canucks will look to trade him. They had offers at the TDD and few nibbles. They did not get an offer anywhere close to what they felt he was worth. It is a possible to do a sign and trade but a deal like that will take time to put together. I suppose if the Canucks open he bank JT may decide to stay but all indications are that they he would prefer to go back to the States.

On BB. The Canucks want to move on from him. He is a well loved guy and easy to shoot the shit with but he lets the players run the show. His attitude is that they are pros and you need let them play. He has little team structure and little on ice structure. The Canucks feel they are in the middle of public relations nightmare. The fans love "Bruce there it is" and they fear if they dont bring him back there will be a huge backlash. Perhaps Bruce will make it easy on them and accept an advisor role?

The new management sees a cultural problem. No specifics but the feeling is that we don't have the right mix of players. They want to be busy this off season and try to set a culture then make that happen. They also want to get much needed cap space. That we all know already.

Deep Throat has no idea who the Canucks are targeting as a new coach and thinks the Maurice rumours while having some merit are more the makings of the media. They want a systems coach. A coach known for creating structure on and off the ice. So who is that?
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The first conversation to have is with JT. What will it take to bring him back in term and cap hit? Once you find that out, you move on to Boeser and then to Horvat. If you can find someone to take Myers, great. I think he does far more good than bad myself but he is overpaid by a million. So is OEL. It part of me would like to see what OEL can do on that middle pair if he doesn’t have to babysit.

I’d say some decent surgery needs to be done. Not a tear down but they need to move out a few significant pieces. A couple forwards and at least one high paid D. Tucker Poolman shouldn’t be back at all. Neither should Dickinson. You can replace those slugs with minimum wagers.

I’m also not sold on Spencer Martin being the defacto #2 guy here. Benning should have just hung onto Holtby at the end of the day if he thought Halak was the answer. They will end up getting rammed on the cap worse paying bonuses and buyouts. I’d bring in another vet to compete for the backup job but at the threshold that you can bury him if he sucks with no cap hit.

For the tenth year now, they have to get bigger, faster and younger. Hopefully they work towards that goal.

They could do a lot worse than Brad Richardson as 13/14 forward. Keep Schenn around. Chiasson had a nice year but I let him and Hunt go and say thank you for your service. Lockwood needs to play. Lammiko has not earned a spot yet.

JT has to be the first conversation or right up there. I’m ambivalent about #6. He played well in the bubble season but he skates like a beer leaguer. I’m not sure he can get away with that unless he starts paying a price for space like guys like Toffoli do.

Keep BB and give him a couple years. He’s a good coach.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Well Wids post is not reeking with positivity.

Thanks for the update HW.

So is Pouty Petey a real thing?

We saw signs of it this season for sure.

Lots of two steps back one step forward work to do yet perhaps.

EDIT: Speaking of the PR nightmares Wids refers to. Our ownership group appears to have a particular affinity for locating such predicaments.
DeLevering since 1999.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Petey is 23 years old. No need to panic.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I don’t mind Lammikko and Richardson at a million dollars as fourth line/13th forward types. I think Lammikko will be resigned.
Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lockwood, Highmore and Lammikko are all young, decent skaters with cheap contracts. They should all be back unless some other GM makes a great offer. The Canucks need more of these. Chiasson got hot near the end of the season, but I’d look to replace him with a younger, faster, and nastier player.

They should move on from Miller if the only other option is to open the wallet wide. If there is no discount to stay, walk away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:49 am I don’t mind Lammikko and Richardson at a million dollars as fourth line/13th forward types. I think Lammikko will be resigned.
Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lockwood, Highmore and Lammikko are all young, decent skaters with cheap contracts. They should all be back unless some other GM makes a great offer. The Canucks need more of these. Chiasson got hot near the end of the season, but I’d look to replace him with a younger, faster, and nastier player.

They should move on from Miller if the only other option is to open the wallet wide. If there is no discount to stay, walk away.
His wife may drive the boat here.
The only HW the Canucks need
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

i was happy with the forward group for the most part. Dickinson can go,hopefully Sutter doesn't return, i expect Hoglander to rebound.
One or two of the top 6 needs to go & Boeser has always been the most logical to move. Too bad about Miller, but if he wants to move on then so
be it.
Not a Myers fan, even though he seems to have improved this season over last. I doubt Canucks will find a trade though, so they're stuck with him for
another 2 seasons (not the end of the world). Poolman should have never been signed & a buyout or sweetener seems like the only way out for that
contract.
This is a tweak scenario not a teardown. Let's see what this new management group can do.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:55 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:49 am I don’t mind Lammikko and Richardson at a million dollars as fourth line/13th forward types. I think Lammikko will be resigned.

His wife may drive the boat here.
I support his wife. Time to move on before locking into a rich contract he won’t likely live up to. Great season, but for a change it’s time for the Canucks to sell high at his max value. Let him return to the states and enjoy the next Trump presidency. Don’t hold off until the next trade deadline as he will probably never repeat the numbers he got this season, or even worse, he could get injured and no other GM will trade anything for him. This summer should be a win-win for the Canucks and the Miller family, perhaps even arrange a sign and trade if it means a better trade return.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I am soooo gratified by Hockey Widow's deep throat!

The path seems clearer.

Miller sign-and-trade (make them take RSD Poolman in the deal) for that youngish RSD stud we need.

(hopefully boisterous Miller was the one troubling quiet Petey)

Use Boeser's poor season + threat of cutdown arbitration to re-sign him at ~ $6M x 6.

(write into the contract that he must take skating lessons) :wink:

Dump Dickinson with a wee sweetener.

Would be nice if we could bring in a young-ish tough-ish shutdown 3rd liner on a fair contract

... but I have no idea how we do that.

Halak out, Martin in.

NEXT YEAR BABY!! :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am Is this Martin fellow a proven back up?
Not proven, but he appears to be ready for the shot.

And the fact Canucks recently extended him to his first ever one-way contract says Canucks agree.

Man he was amazing in those 3 games on the big club...

donlever wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am ...this I can comment in, I don't yet believe so, it appears Demko faded badly at seasons end and while we do not know for certain it is a byproduct of his workload we can, based on eyeball analytics and common sense, make presumptions for the intent of our MB discussions.
Yeah, Demmer is definitely exhausted having played 34 more games thus far than ever.

donlever wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am Perhaps we need someone we can trust for 25 games as opposed to a 26 year old journeyman with 3 under his belt?
Yeah, they'll have to bring in a (cheap) vet just in case Martin fails.

donlever wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am Can they even get out from under Halaks cash?

It appears so minimal but he's on our tab for 1.5 next year correct? Do we yet reside in a cap scenario where we can rid ourselves of this player and eat some money.
I'm not sure if his bonus can still be traded but it'd have to be before the end of the season.

Personally I highly doubt it.

He's on our tab for just $1.25M next year.

($250K bonus for .905+ SV% threshold was not achieved)

donlever wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am Is it even worth it?
Nahhh, with all the changes coming they can make it work...

donlever wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am He's been a credible net minder throughout his career...does he get another shot here?
Interesting.

Maybe he could be that just-in-case vet I spoke of above

... would have to be on minimum-wage contract with no bonuses/trade-protection of course.

But maybe 37-yr-old Halak goes for it?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Thanks for the post, HW. Even though Petey's been putting up the points, has his shot back and is playing well - it seems like he never smiles, or doesn't enjoy the goals and wins like he used to. Hopefully this gets sorted out in this off-season.

Miller seems to heading out of town, which the team should be able to live with - as long as we get a good return (top 4 D).

Boeser could go either way. He seems to coast more than he should - but then once Bo went out, he picked up the slack. To me, he seems to be 'pacing himself' (to put it nicely). Still a fan, but this will be a very interesting negotiation, if he's not traded first.

So if we end up with a happier Petersen, no Miller and no Boeser, the offense will take a hit just on that. But an improved Hoglander and Pod should help offset that.

Trading out some of the placeholders like Dickinson, Pearson, Garland should only be worth it if we don't retain or throw away picks.

On D - I think Myers is the only one on D we 'might' be able to move and after July 1, he submits a 10 team list which will hamper things a little. Maybe a sweetener is needed to move him, if we have someone coming from a Miller trade.

We lose the Luongo penalty finally, but pick up Jake and Holtby - so we're only saving about $500k on that front. :/

Spencer Martin should be given a shot at backup, he looked good here - but almost in a 'flash in the pan' kind of way. If he looks good in training camp, great - or do we sign another Holtby? I think either way, Demko is going to be stuck playing a LOT of games next year. Hopefully the team won't be needing to ride his coattails again.

As others have said, Miller is the first part of the off-season puzzle to solve. I'm sure the team has been talking to his agent, and once the season's over, they'll get serious.

Despite the many unknowns, this team has a great core and with decent coaching should be considered a lock for the playoffs next year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If Miller's wife is wanting to move back to the States, it will be done, ala Chris Pronger's short tenure in Edmonton.

Miller is on a sweet contract for another year, had a monster season, should be worth a mint.

I'm guessing they'll do:

- one big trade
- shed some cap moves (sacrificing a pick)
- sign a couple key UFA's and take it from there.

JT Miller moved for:

- an NHL player
- two picks (1st and 2nd modified protection)
- top prospect.

Try to get out of Dickinson and Poolman's contracts, maybe toss Poolman in the Miller deal.

Add a 2nd to Dickinson to get a Sam Bennett deal (project player).
Florida moved Heineman + 2nd for Bennett + 6th.

July 1st sign Trocheck and Manson.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.