The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which Canuck forward should not be brought back for the 2022/2023 season?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 am

Miller
11%
Boeser
10%
Garland
4%
Horvat
No votes
Hoglander
No votes
Pearson
4%
Dickinson
19%
Chiasson
15%
Richardson
10%
Sutter
26%

Total votes: 89

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:45 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:58 pm So long as there isn’t any movement restrictions, I would sign this.
You’re gonna get a minimum of 3 exceptional years out of Miller in a 6 year contract. But the Cat will be a longevity machine in an old man Joe Pavelski/Corey Perry way. You’ll get a solid 6 years from Miller on 6 year extension, 100%!
Well, the load your selling is the agents PoV (a commison bases scum sucker at the best of times) and thats a 9+x7… but the reality of a guy in his 30’s have 4-5 50(ish) point seasons with the intangibles he brings is worth 8-8.5 to THIS team at THIS time… so long as the contract is movable down the road, if necessary.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Canucks actively looking to replace Scott Walker who will not return to the team next season.
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:17 pm
Doesn't really make sense to think we should hand Miller a blank cheque but at the same time you see little value in moving him.

As you said, Miller's don't grow in trees. So it's reasonable to think if we should sign him at all costs that some team would be willing to move heaven and earth to get the rarity in Miller.

So what do we do?
I can't think of a bigger conundrum this team has faced in the last 20 years. Maybe go back to Burke choosing between extending Naslund or signing Niedermayer.
You’re gonna get a minimum of 3 exceptional years out of Miller in a 6 year contract. But the Cat will be a longevity machine in an old man Joe Pavelski/Corey Perry way. You’ll get a solid 6 years from Miller on 6 year extension, 100%!
I tend to agree that Miller will age well, more like Kopitar than Benn. He's peaking in his late-20s, which is contrary to the norm of peaking in early-20s for most offensive stars. His style of play doesn't seem to lead to injury concerns.

But I really believe Miller ain't signing for $8.5mx6. Maybe - $8.5x8. On a short-term, if he hits the UFA market, he'll easily get Panarin/Tavares money. So how is Rutherford going to persuade Miller to leave millions of dollars on the table for the pleasure of being a Canuck?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm I can't think of a bigger conundrum this team has faced in the last 20 years. Maybe go back to Burke choosing between extending Naslund or signing Niedermayer.
Luongo or Schneider?
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm So how is Rutherford going to persuade Miller to leave millions of dollars on the table for the pleasure of being a Canuck?
His wife is a new scout and makes $2m per.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm So how is Rutherford going to persuade Miller to leave millions of dollars on the table for the pleasure of being a Canuck?
His wife is a new scout and makes $2m per.
lol, outside the box thinking right there.

But....

Can she make good Sammys?

Which also leads to the question...

When Rays wife is up to make lunch do they call it Cammis Sammys down at Rogers?
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

donlever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:16 pm Canucks actively looking to replace Scott Walker who will not return to the team next season.
So, further to the above, Bowness resigned today and his staff won't be back in Dallas either.

I see John Stevens is therefore free.

I know nothing about him other than he has both HC and AC experience in the show.

Potential assistant for us??
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:53 pm
When Rays wife is up to make lunch do they call it Cammis Sammys down at Rogers?
:lol:

If they don't they're leaving some serious revenue on the table IMO!

Definitely would help cover the cost of the extra sammich mak....er scout.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:55 pm
donlever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:16 pm Canucks actively looking to replace Scott Walker who will not return to the team next season.
So, further to the above, Bowness resigned today and his staff won't be back in Dallas either.

I see John Stevens is therefore free.

I know nothing about him other than he has both HC and AC experience in the show.

Potential assistant for us??
Timing is interesting for all these coaching departures.

Could see a few change zip/post codes.

Rutherford should have a bit of pull, plus adding a solid coaching staff can help attract any UFAs we may want to fill spots with.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm
I tend to agree that Miller will age well, more like Kopitar than Benn. He's peaking in his late-20s, which is contrary to the norm of peaking in early-20s for most offensive stars. His style of play doesn't seem to lead to injury concerns.

But I really believe Miller ain't signing for $8.5mx6. Maybe - $8.5x8. On a short-term, if he hits the UFA market, he'll easily get Panarin/Tavares money. So how is Rutherford going to persuade Miller to leave millions of dollars on the table for the pleasure of being a Canuck?
Panarin/Tavares were 27 when their big contracts started and will be 34 when they end.

A lot of prime years wrapped up in those contracts.

Miller, as you know, will be 30.

That will affect both salary and term.

I say JT gets even less of each than what the Dude suggested.
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Not a Miller commentary by any means but wtf is a Panarin? Dude is making 10 plus mill? He scored the round 1 OT winner in game 7 on a seeing eye shot okay but wtf else has he done out there in 8 games?

Close to fuck all in my estimation.

Dude needs to earn his dough, wake the fuck up (not for Corn of course).

As far as Miller goes I am now leaning towards the keep him side of the equation at this point (unless the contract demands are stupid of course).

And.

If he wants to stay....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Word on the street is that at the deadline the Rags offered up Lundkvist, Chytil, and a 1st for Miller.

JR declined.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah Don, Panarin and Tavares (ESQ's 2 comparables) are overpaid for sure.
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:16 pm Word on the street is that at the deadline the Rags offered up Lundkvist, Chytil, and a 1st for Miller.

JR declined.
...both appear decent young players from what I've seen in the playoffs but admittedly 8 games is the apex of what I know about them.

It's a platform to work from at the very least should Miller have to go.
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:16 pm Word on the street is that at the deadline the Rags offered up Lundkvist, Chytil, and a 1st for Miller.

JR declined.
I hate this offer. Again Chef is not a fan of watered down return packages in quantity. It’s a ruse, into thinking plenty for 1 (Miller) is better when in fact you’re just getting a whole bunch of meh/tweeners for giving up a an impactful game changer superstar. You win with excellent players not a bunch of meh quantity. I’d be asking for Lafrenierre straight up. And let us remember something, the Rangers 2022 1st round pick is currently 26th overall :lol: that’s garbage in a shitty draft class
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau