The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which Canuck forward should not be brought back for the 2022/2023 season?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 am

Miller
11%
Boeser
10%
Garland
4%
Horvat
No votes
Hoglander
No votes
Pearson
4%
Dickinson
19%
Chiasson
15%
Richardson
10%
Sutter
26%

Total votes: 89

donlever
CC Legend

Re: The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Post by donlever »

....did Docs post say a 2022 first?
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:49 pm ....did Docs post say a 2022 first?
The rumour that's out there doesn't specify.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The 2022 draft isn’t garbage. It just isn’t as strong as 2023. I had to read how poor the 2017 draft was on this board umpteen times. Wasn’t true. Lotsa good players drafted in that draft. Dallas drafted three stud players at key positions and drafted a solid third liner as well.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Dallas made a nice late first round pick in 2017 I see.

We got EP so :thumbs: .

Kole Lind I guess turned into a wasted pick and Gadjovich is gonzo so tough 2nd round for us eh.
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:01 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm [

But I really believe Miller ain't signing for $8.5mx6. Maybe - $8.5x8. On a short-term, if he hits the UFA market, he'll easily get Panarin/Tavares money.
Panarin/Tavares were 27 when their big contracts started and will be 34 when they end.

A lot of prime years wrapped up in those contracts.

Miller, as you know, will be 30.

That will affect both salary and term.

I say JT gets even less of each than what the Dude suggested.
Panarin and Tavares were also 87/84 point players, not 99 pointers. And signed their contracts under a lower cap.

A 100-point UFA Miller will be one of the top UFA signings of recent history if he makes it to ufa.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

donlever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:41 pm Dallas made a nice late first round pick in 2017 I see.

We got EP so :thumbs: .

Kole Lind I guess turned into a wasted pick and Gadjovich is gonzo so tough 2nd round for us eh.
Dallas nailed both their first rounders. They nailed their 2nd rounder and then got a solid player in the 5th. At this point they have 3 of the top 10 players in that draft. Heiskanen is likely equal to EP.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:45 pm

But I really believe Miller ain't signing for $8.5mx6. Maybe - $8.5x8. On a short-term, if he hits the UFA market, he'll easily get Panarin/Tavares money.
Panarin/Tavares were 27 when their big contracts started and will be 34 when they end.

Panarin and Tavares were also 87/84 point players, not 99 pointers. And signed their contracts under a lower cap.

A 100-point UFA Miller will be one of the top UFA signings of recent history if he makes it to ufa.
My point outweighs yours by a long shot.

The teams signing those guys were each getting three sub-30-years-of-age seasons!

With Miller you're getting ZERO.

Prime years are huge!

Everyone knows players begin to regress in their 30s (including GMs).

This will be the main factor in lowering the term/salary of Miller's contract relative to Panarin/Tavares.

And come on, Miller had ONE 99-point season. :lol:

(he likely regresses toward the mean)

Tavares and Panarin are career point-per-game guys.

Miller has only been a point-per-game guy since he came to Vancouver.

Also Panarin/Tavares absolutely destroy Miller in the Goals Department...

"Lower cap"?? The cap is the same now as when Panarin signed and just $2M higher than when PJ Boy signed.

(we know it will go up a mere $1M the next 2 years and after that all bets are off)

Panarin/Tavares signed pre-pandemic when everyone was positive the cap would continue to rise massively

... meaning more money for Panarin/Tavares in those contracts.

Knowing what we know now, those two would never have received that much.

Likewise... knowing what we know now... well said knowledge applies downward pressure to Miller's next contract.

Fans are saying "OMG OMG Miller's contract is going to be a bad one because of his age + coming off a career year!!"

It's like a lot of fans don't realize GMs get the big bucks to see all these things... and much much more.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:45 pm

And both of those guys are overpaid.....Tavares more so based upon point production, Panarin more so based upon overall usefulness.

If there's not discount from Miller then ship him out. The longevity hasn't been there to make me feel comfortable that he is going to be a 90+ point guy on the regular.

There's also the argument that playoff winners don't blow their wad on just a couple guys.....Tampa may be the exception.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Problem with Tavares is his skating. The borderline bad skaters fade out faster than most in the NHL (Jamie Benn for example). Miller is a fantastic skater, that doesn’t look like like something he will lose in the next 3-4 seasons and even if he loses a step he’s still miles faster than Tavares. Panarin is puny and plays the perimeter, fantastic regular season player like Marner is but like Marner he sucks post season. Again, Miller playe the hard areas, Panarin the Puny doesn’t
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m not sure I’d say Miller is a fantastic skater but he’s certainly quicker than Tavares and Benn.

I wonder if the Flyers may be a suitor for JT. Or Columbus. Both teams have some interesting assets.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:29 am I’m not sure I’d say Miller is a fantastic skater but he’s certainly quicker than Tavares and Benn.

I wonder if the Flyers may be a suitor for JT. Or Columbus. Both teams have some interesting assets.
The Flyers have made it known they are about to do a full tear it down rebuild. Miller isn’t in their wheelhouse which is unfortunate because Miller is from Pennsylvania

Miller is a very good skater bro, geezus h crepes who ya watching? Jason Allison?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:36 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:29 am I’m not sure I’d say Miller is a fantastic skater but he’s certainly quicker than Tavares and Benn.

The Flyers have made it known they are about to do a full tear it down rebuild. Miller isn’t in their wheelhouse which is unfortunate because Miller is from Pennsylvania

Miller is a very good skater bro, geezus h crepes who ya watching? Jason Allison?
There's a difference between a very good skater and a fantastic skater.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ok, he ain’t Pavel Bure, McDavid, Barzal, Mike Gartner ffs, Yvonne cournoyer, is that better? He’s a very good skater.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Did the Flyers tell you this in your sleep? Any links to the grand announcement?

He’s an above average skater- maybe even good. Nowhere near “fantastic” skaters like Connor, Mack or Barzal. Hell he’s nowhere near as quick as Motte.

What does Jason Allison have to do with anything?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:53 am

What does Jason Allison have to do with anything?
Him and Dana Murzyn went to the same skating school