The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which Canuck forward should not be brought back for the 2022/2023 season?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 am

Miller
11%
Boeser
10%
Garland
4%
Horvat
No votes
Hoglander
No votes
Pearson
4%
Dickinson
19%
Chiasson
15%
Richardson
10%
Sutter
26%

Total votes: 89

Kenji
MVP
MVP

Re: The Canucks 2022 Offseason.

Post by Kenji »

This is a great thread, lots to ponder on.

My take is that it seems that JR and his two years to excellence comment means no teardown but more depth and a couple of good additions up top.

That sounds like JB and his promises.

So I’m inclined to wonder if there should be a teardown this time.

But I’m also of the view that the idea itself may not be bad, that better execution could mean a quick effective reload.

If it doesn’t work then the pain will be immense.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:54 pm Aaron, I feel if we're going to trade one of our big 5 forwards, it needs to involve a top-4 RSD coming back.
Anything but this and the window to win now is closed. This one tweak is the difference between winning now and spinning their wheels maybe making the playoffs, but not much else.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I can't see a teardown happening. Trading a forward for a D isn't a teardown, and I don't see Quinn, Demko, Bo or the alien getting traded. A teardown would be trading 2 of them. Not happening
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

dangler wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:19 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:54 pm Aaron, I feel if we're going to trade one of our big 5 forwards, it needs to involve a top-4 RSD coming back.
Anything but this and the window to win now is closed. This one tweak is the difference between winning now and spinning their wheels maybe making the playoffs, but not much else.

Not sure it’s ‘anything but this’… the Canucks are close to competing.

If they maintain their forwards, They need an upgrade at 3rd Center, and a replacement for Motte to make the 4th line run again (stats and eye test show our 4th line was not effective without Motte) as well as a couple of RS defenceman. The depth issues for the team need time to fix themselves through the draft as the cupboards are bare, and imo, giving up picks for players at this stage is not the right answer.

The 3C position is Dickensen. His cap hit is 2.6m. He has rational skill set and contract. He is tradeable for someone else’s 3C with only a mild sweetener. A second option is to explore UFA replacements and trade Dickenson for a later round pick (this is my preference, but sometimes there is a hockey trade out there that makes sense)

Resign Motte if he will take 1.5 or less. As far as depth guys go, he seems to be more valuable to us than anyone else. If he wants more, go shopping in UFA for someone else. There is no need to trade for 4th liners.

RS defence.. we are looking for 1 or possibly 2 guys. If we can find a Poolman replacement through free agency (or a cap dump trade to a team like Tampa for Cernak - as an example [this is the only way I would give up a draft pick]) then we are good. I am happy with Schenn as our #6 defenceman, sign a Schenn clone for depth and carry on. Let Myers (and OEL) play out his contract(s) or take assets for him, but don’t spend assets to remove him from the team. We don’t have to move him and he is only overpaid by a couple million. We are all a little gunshy of Loui style ‘dead space contracts’ around here but forget that OEL and Myers are simply overpaid (about 2 million each) but not unserviceable as players.

I guess I am saying that if we add a 5million dollar RS defenceman, (according to Tciso math), we are closer to competing than most people think.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:48 am

If they maintain their forwards, They need an upgrade at 3rd Center, and a replacement for Motte to make the 4th line run again (stats and eye test show our 4th line was not effective without Motte) as well as a couple of RS defenceman. The depth issues for the team need time to fix themselves through the draft as the cupboards are bare, and imo, giving up picks for players at this stage is not the right answer.

The 3C position is Dickensen. His cap hit is 2.6m. He has rational skill set and contract. He is tradeable for someone else’s 3C with only a mild sweetener. A second option is to explore UFA replacements and trade Dickenson for a later round pick (this is my preference, but sometimes there is a hockey trade out there that makes sense)

Resign Motte if he will take 1.5 or less. As far as depth guys go, he seems to be more valuable to us than anyone else. If he wants more, go shopping in UFA for someone else. There is no need to trade for 4th liners.

RS defence.. we are looking for 1 or possibly 2 guys. If we can find a Poolman replacement through free agency (or a cap dump trade to a team like Tampa for Cernak - as an example [this is the only way I would give up a draft pick]) then we are good. I am happy with Schenn as our #6 defenceman, sign a Schenn clone for depth and carry on. Let Myers (and OEL) play out his contract(s) or take assets for him, but don’t spend assets to remove him from the team. We don’t have to move him and he is only overpaid by a couple million. We are all a little gunshy of Loui style ‘dead space contracts’ around here but forget that OEL and Myers are simply overpaid (about 2 million each) but not unserviceable as players.

I guess I am saying that if we add a 5million dollar RS defenceman, (according to Tciso math), we are closer to competing than most people think.
Well Myers is a $6 Mill. RS defenseman. You think someone worth a million less is going to fit the bill?
You seem more concerned with a 3rd C & a Motte replacement than the RS D.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:47 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:48 am

Well Myers is a $6 Mill. RS defenseman. You think someone worth a million less is going to fit the bill?
You seem more concerned with a 3rd C & a Motte replacement than the RS D.

Well, I was actually looking to upgrade ‘the Poolman’ slot by about 5million (or so) to have someone to play with Hughes who is better than Schenn.
And yeah, I think a 4.5 (ish) million dollar guy could play the second pairing RS Dman. Lots of people are keen on getting rid of Myers and/or OELs contracts, I was commenting more on that we are simply overpaying them a bit and they are a serviceable 2nd pairing, as such, we don’t need to ‘dump the contracts’ (which means we pay to get rid of them).

Guess I could have worded that better.

And yeah, if we don’t change our main forward group, by filling the 3C and Motte replacement makes us a solid 4 line team. Dickenson turns our Top 9 into a Top 6 (offence goes to die on his stick), and without Motte, our 4th line sucked. Need to have 4 lines that can play in the playoffs. Petan, Rempal, Dries etc. simply are not gonna cut it.

Working on ‘The Tisco Budget’, I can see management simply retooling the team (figuring out the bottom 6), adding 5million (ish) to the RS defence, signing some UFA depth (like Chaisson) and seeing how they do next year.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:44 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:36 pm
Tciso wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 pm
2Fingers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:10 pm
donlever wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:51 pm
2Fingers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:42 pm When trading JT it’s not just about the return. It’s about not having Byers remorse in 3-4 years from now.
Yep, agreed, Lyndon Byers remorse is the fucking worst.

:wink:
Bloody autocorrect.
It happens. Like the time my buddy texted his wife that he was running late, and it got autocorrected into "you ruined my life, you crazy bitch".
HA!

Sounds like a new version of the old faux pas joke...
2 pickets to titsburg please.
Exactly! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...so speaking of the Poolman, I watch Jani Hakanpaa play solid minutes against the Flames last night, throw his big frame around (250 hits this year) even against the likes of Lucic and block shots at right side D (110 blocks) and I harken back to his 3 year 4.5 million dollar deal and the conversation Curm, myself and others had about this player post Poolman signing.

Revisionism for sure but Jani was perhaps the better option after all....
DeLevering since 1999.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Thank you to whomever made my text bold.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:01 pm Thank you to whomever made my text bold.
It’s really the little things hey MCP… :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

rats19 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:01 pm Thank you to whomever made my text bold.
Yeah. We don't usually see someone nail the proper use of "whom" vs "who". Well done.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Tciso wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 pm
Yeah. We don't usually see someone nail the proper use of "whom" vs "who". Well done.
Tragically, we didn't this time, either. It should have been "whoever" in that case.
(Honestly, I wouldn't point it out except that it had already become a point of discussion.)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:03 pm (Honestly, I wouldn't point it out except that it had already become a point of discussion.)
...is mentioned once behind the original use actually a point of discussion?

DeLevering since 1999.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

donlever wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:32 pm ...is mentioned once behind the original use actually a point of discussion?

Maybe ? :eh:

I haven't seen a threshold specified.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Dude.

:D