2014 draft 8 years later

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2014 draft 8 years later

Post by Cornuck »

If the kid wasn't a complete moron, it would have been a good pick. You can't always predict how the jump to NHL fame will work on some people. Jake 'should' have been a safe, good pick.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Virtanen was also rushed too quickly to the pro's imo, shoulda stayed all his years 20< in junior, two years in the AHL before becoming a Canuck, but way back then the Canucks didn't have much (sans Bo) if any youthful prospects to put in, all we had were older vets on the decline from the 2011 era.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:43 pm Virtanen was also rushed too quickly to the pro's imo, shoulda stayed all his years 20< in junior, two years in the AHL before becoming a Canuck, but way back then the Canucks didn't have much (sans Bo) if any youthful prospects to put in, all we had were older vets on the decline from the 2011 era.
So you're saying that Jake was a victim of the Gillis era drafting and development plan?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:43 pm Virtanen was also rushed too quickly to the pro's imo, shoulda stayed all his years 20< in junior, two years in the AHL before becoming a Canuck, but way back then the Canucks didn't have much (sans Bo) if any youthful prospects to put in, all we had were older vets on the decline from the 2011 era.
So you're saying that Jake was a victim of the Gillis era drafting and development plan?
Jake was, and always will be, a victim of his own doing.

I blame his pick on whoever was responsible for the interview process or background checks. Knew an Abby hockey coach and Jake’s attitude was well known even before he got drafted!
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:37 pm
mr perfect wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:31 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:41 am I love Demko but the highest I could put him would be 5. Oddly Gustav Forsling is omitted. I guess it takes Nikita Tryamkin putting on a Canucks ball cap on Twitter or Instagram to shoot him back into the top 5.
Benning was 2 months on the job. The entire staff at the draft was MIke Gillis’ staff, he obviously wasn’t there long enough to say “it’s my way of the highway”. Gilman loved Virtanen, the Aquas during too. Benning actually wanted Nylander but towed the company line
Bullshit.
I know. It’s hard to accept isn’t it? It’s an adjustment
OK, let me explain it to you better.

Horseshit about timid Jimmy.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:38 pm Jake was, and always will be, a victim of his own doing.

I blame his pick on whoever was responsible for the interview process or background checks. Knew an Abby hockey coach and Jake’s attitude was well known even before he got drafted!
Yeah, everyone knew he was a party boy... guess the hope was he'd outgrow it.

But I know people in Abby who have always said he gives off a weird vibe on top of that.

Blown pick, too bad...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So Gillis gets credit for the 2014 draft?

Or just the shitty picks?

Hard to keep up with all the moving goalposts.

Something tells me the hive mind crew wouldn’t be shuffling the Virtanen pick on Eye Bags had it been Ehlers or Nylander.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 am So Gillis gets credit for the 2014 draft?

Or just the shitty picks?

Hard to keep up with all the moving goalposts.

Something tells me the hive mind crew wouldn’t be shuffling the Virtanen pick on Eye Bags had it been Ehlers or Nylander.
lol Mëds is the one you want to ask.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:09 pm Benning actually wanted Nylander but towed the company line
Where do you come up with this shit?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jake and his brother think of themselves as ladies men, both him and his bro have a history with being fuck ups in that regard. Jakes bro impregnated some young gal in his teens, she had the baby. The two of them are a couple of Bimboys who love hanging out in clubs looking to score chicks
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:43 am Jake and his brother think of themselves as ladies men, both him and his bro have a history with being fuck ups in that regard. Jakes bro impregnated some young gal in his teens, she had the baby. The two of them are a couple of Bimboys who love hanging out in clubs looking to score chicks
Sounds like pretty well everyone when we were 18-20. He's an 80s man trapped in a millenials body
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:51 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:43 am Jake and his brother think of themselves as ladies men, both him and his bro have a history with being fuck ups in that regard. Jakes bro impregnated some young gal in his teens, she had the baby. The two of them are a couple of Bimboys who love hanging out in clubs looking to score chicks
Sounds like pretty well everyone when we were 18-20. He's an 80s man trapped in a millenials body
Well, when you’re an NHL professional there’s a certain level of how you handle yourself out in public that should be considered when chasing the ladies down.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:55 am
Well, when you’re an NHL professional there’s a certain level of how you handle yourself out in public that should be considered when chasing the ladies down. Jakes bro well he probably doesn’t need the mention but I know people who know him and he’s a bigger idiot than Jake. It seems to run in the family
These types kids are a product of weak parenting. If they grow up in an environment devoid of structure they become giant man babies as men
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:58 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:55 am
Well, when you’re an NHL professional there’s a certain level of how you handle yourself out in public that should be considered when chasing the ladies down. Jakes bro well he probably doesn’t need the mention but I know people who know him and he’s a bigger idiot than Jake. It seems to run in the family
These types kids are a product of weak parenting. If they grow up in an environment devoid of structure they become giant man babies as men
They are Bimboys, nothing more nothing less. Unfortunately we drafted Jake, move on I guess
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

High picks (top 10)should be used on centers and defensemen unless the winger is an exception, can't miss prospect. I figure this is one of the reasons Benning traded last year's pick out