Benning's Legacy - the team he built - Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did Benning do?

A+ | The man is a genius and will have statues built around town
4%
A | He did a really good job at building future contender
4%
B | He did a decent job of acquiring some pieces to build around
27%
C+ | He did ok considering ownership forced some moves
23%
C | Very average - some good moves, decent picks, but some major mistakes
27%
C- | Average moves, but on the whole, the cons outweigh the good
8%
D | He wasted his time in Vancouver and anyone could have made those picks
8%
F | Complete shitshow - we'll need to tear down and rebuild around a small core
No votes

Total votes: 26

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Benning's Legacy - the team he built - Poll

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:22 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:04 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am. Even today’s team has only three top 4 guys.
Who is #3?
I think Myers is a #4 guy this year for sure. His first two years he struggled but I think he’s played pretty well most of the season.
If it wasnt for the Duncan Keith punishment I'd disagree but he moved his gangly ass up a wrung in my books with that one play
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am. Even today’s team has only three top 4 guys.
Who is #3?
I think Myers is a #4 guy this year for sure. His first two years he struggled but I think he’s played pretty well most of the season.
If it wasnt for the Duncan Keith punishment I'd disagree but he moved his gangly ass up a wrung in my books with that one play
Lol. He got that hit in because he was fresh.

If he plays too much, he gets mentally tired and he goes from the War Giraffe to the Chaos Giraffe.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:54 pm
Who is #3?

If he plays too much, he gets mentally tired and he goes from the War Giraffe to the Chaos Giraffe.
I'm with you on moving him out if the situation presents itself though. His cap hit is about double what it should be
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:36 pm
Who is #3?

I'm with you on moving him out if the situation presents itself though. His cap hit is about double what it should be
Are you saying he isn’t worth $6M? 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am Bottom line is there wasn’t a garbage fire left like some people like to think.
Yes there was. The fire was out of control and major
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:37 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am Bottom line is there wasn’t a garbage fire left like some people like to think.
Small little brush fire. Problem is Benning tried to put it out with a Jerry can of gas.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:12 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:37 am
Small little brush fire. Problem is Benning tried to put it out with a Jerry can of gas.
He tried stepping on the pesky fire but his pant leg caught on fire eventually engulfing him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

2Fingers wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:11 pm
Who is #3?

Are you saying he isn’t worth $6M? 8-)
That's exactly what I'm saying and why he will be JRs trade #1
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am
As a player and former Selke winner and 40 goal scorer he was absolutely as good as Miller. Elmer should have nutted up and played hardball with him. Bottom line is there wasn’t a garbage fire left like some people like to think. Elms inherited five top 4 d men. We haven’t even had four top 4 d men on the same roster since Bieksa got run out of town. Even today’s team has only three top 4 guys.
Oh I agree, Kesler was great and still on the cusp of the decline (a good cautionary note for how to handle Miller?), I'm just referring to the fact that the only option was to trade him to a single team. And at the risk of naming He Who Shall Not Be Named, Benning was in that position because the previous GM fucked it up at the TDD when Kesler was willing to waive to 6 teams.

I should really try to track down Kesler's radio interview from the last TDD where he laid out how it all played out, it was so fascinating. But he knew he was handcuffing Benning, and did it anyway.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cuz, I don't think you're replacing Myers with a $3 million dman. Definitely not in UFA. Right-shooting D make a million extra for being a righty, then Myers gets a mil extra for being over 6'3. It all adds up dude.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:38 pm
Cuz, I don't think you're replacing Myers with a $3 million dman. Definitely not in UFA. Right-shooting D make a million extra for being a righty, then Myers gets a mil extra for being over 6'3. It all adds up dude.
Just not seeing it. Hambone (knee slapping clapping extravaganza) is an equal level piece, Schenn is pretty close.

He doesn't bring the offense that he had previously shown before Van. He plays physical sure but so do Schenn and Hambone.

What exactly is he actually bringing that justifies the $$$$?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:38 am I was merely adding to the discussion a sampling from how ultra important the workings provided by the previous management to Gillis how that hard work benefitted Gillis greatly. We could be looking at a similar situation with the recent handover from the Benning regime to the Rutherford regime….or not. That remains to be seen.
I agree with Chef (in spite of his relentless, low-quality trolling) that some of the impact of Benning's work remains to be seen, depending on what the current management group is able to do with the assets he acquired. And that it will be difficult to distinguish how much the of the results of any subsequent transactions have to do with the quality of the assets, or the trading acumen of the current group.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:33 pm So far 9 realistic votes out of 11. Would be curious to hear from posters that have been bullied away or can’t be bothered with the board anymore. IN, Diehard, Nuckertuzzi, Herb, DBR, etc.

11 opinions is a joke
While I tried to keep an open mind -- and to some extent, as described above, continue to -- obviously to this point I haven't been a huge fan of Benning's work in Vancouver. I am surprised to learn, though, that I am the only one on the board who rates it that poorly. Maybe an echo-chamber, maybe some recency bias (his later work being better than his earlier work). But it's a (nearly) cap-maxxed team with a very thin prospect pool near the bottom of the division. Is building a small core with the resources of 6 top-ten draft picks really that impressive a feat? Or is everyone else convinced that Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes (and whoever else might be part of your vision of the core) are a nucleus of a championship team?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:36 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am
As a player and former Selke winner and 40 goal scorer he was absolutely as good as Miller. Elmer should have nutted up and played hardball with him. Bottom line is there wasn’t a garbage fire left like some people like to think. Elms inherited five top 4 d men. We haven’t even had four top 4 d men on the same roster since Bieksa got run out of town. Even today’s team has only three top 4 guys.
Oh I agree, Kesler was great and still on the cusp of the decline (a good cautionary note for how to handle Miller?), I'm just referring to the fact that the only option was to trade him to a single team. And at the risk of naming He Who Shall Not Be Named, Benning was in that position because the previous GM fucked it up at the TDD when Kesler was willing to waive to 6 teams.

I should really try to track down Kesler's radio interview from the last TDD where he laid out how it all played out, it was so fascinating. But he knew he was handcuffing Benning, and did it anyway.
In hindsight Elmer should have told him to shut his mouth and told him to expand his list or he could sit and rot. I know I said I understood why Elms did it at the time and applauded him for acting swiftly, it was a mistake. He should have told Kurt Overhardt to fuck off.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:38 pm then Myers gets a mil extra for being over 6'3.
I think there should be some kind of exemption for that stat when 9 or 10 of the inches are just neck.

It's not like the ability to see over tall fences is that big an asset to defenceman.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:55 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:38 pm then Myers gets a mil extra for being over 6'3.
I think there should be some kind of exemption for that stat when 9 or 10 of the inches are just neck.

It's not like the ability to see over tall fences is that big an asset to defenceman.
:lol: