Benning's Legacy - the team he built - Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did Benning do?

A+ | The man is a genius and will have statues built around town
4%
A | He did a really good job at building future contender
4%
B | He did a decent job of acquiring some pieces to build around
27%
C+ | He did ok considering ownership forced some moves
23%
C | Very average - some good moves, decent picks, but some major mistakes
27%
C- | Average moves, but on the whole, the cons outweigh the good
8%
D | He wasted his time in Vancouver and anyone could have made those picks
8%
F | Complete shitshow - we'll need to tear down and rebuild around a small core
No votes

Total votes: 26

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Benning's Legacy - the team he built - Poll

Post by rats19 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:55 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:38 pm then Myers gets a mil extra for being over 6'3.
I think there should be some kind of exemption for that stat when 9 or 10 of the inches are just neck.

It's not like the ability to see over tall fences is that big an asset to defenceman.
But it’s certainly a 6 million dollar reach…. :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:54 pm In hindsight Elmer should have told him to shut his mouth and told him to expand his list or he could sit and rot.
I think that comes back to the folly of a "re-tool on the fly". Benning thought he needed to get on with it to bring the team back to competitiveness ASAP. (And I concede those may have been his orders.) If he had really been aiming to produce as good team as he could by 2022, (i.e. perform a re-build) he might have played it the way you suggest.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:53 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:38 am I was merely adding to the discussion a sampling from how ultra important the workings provided by the previous management to Gillis how that hard work benefitted Gillis greatly. We could be looking at a similar situation with the recent handover from the Benning regime to the Rutherford regime….or not. That remains to be seen.
I agree with Chef (in spite of his relentless, low-quality trolling) that some of the impact of Benning's work remains to be seen, depending on what the current management group is able to do with the assets he acquired. And that it will be difficult to distinguish how much the of the results of any subsequent transactions have to do with the quality of the assets, or the trading acumen of the current group.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:33 pm So far 9 realistic votes out of 11. Would be curious to hear from posters that have been bullied away or can’t be bothered with the board anymore. IN, Diehard, Nuckertuzzi, Herb, DBR, etc.

11 opinions is a joke
While I tried to keep an open mind -- and to some extent, as described above, continue to -- obviously to this point I haven't been a huge fan of Benning's work in Vancouver. I am surprised to learn, though, that I am the only one on the board who rates it that poorly. Maybe an echo-chamber, maybe some recency bias (his later work being better than his earlier work). But it's a (nearly) cap-maxxed team with a very thin prospect pool near the bottom of the division. Is building a small core with the resources of 6 top-ten draft picks really that impressive a feat? Or is everyone else convinced that Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes (and whoever else might be part of your vision of the core) are a nucleus of a championship team?
I had him rated between a C - and a D. Anyone giving him an A or an A+ is clearly trolling the place, even a B for that matter. Rats and Corn had good realistic takes. It’s astonishing he kept his job as long as he did. But alas he’s gone and it feels fucking great.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:16 pm Anyone giving him an A or an A+ is clearly trolling the place, even a B for that matter.
So 36% of the posters here are trolls? :lol:

Isn't it more reasonable to suggest the 12% that gave him less than C are the trolls?

Come on Blob, you've been slagging Jimmy every other post since he left, THAT is trolling pal....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:55 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:16 pm Anyone giving him an A or an A+ is clearly trolling the place, even a B for that matter.
So 36% 8% of the posters poll respondents here are trolls? :lol:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:54 pm In hindsight Elmer should have told him to shut his mouth and told him to expand his list or he could sit and rot.
I think that comes back to the folly of a "re-tool on the fly". Benning thought he needed to get on with it to bring the team back to competitiveness ASAP. (And I concede those may have been his orders.) If he had really been aiming to produce as good team as he could by 2022, (i.e. perform a re-build) he might have played it the way you suggest.
Well, I can't help but think that the best this new regime is going to attempt is a "re-tool on the fly".

Benning turned over 90% of his team in 3 years, no way do we see anything similar from Allvin.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:55 pm
So 36% of the posters here are trolls? :lol:

Isn't it more reasonable to suggest the 12% that gave him less than C are the trolls?

Come on Blob, you've been slagging Jimmy every other post since he left, THAT is trolling pal....
And you have been licking his anus just as many times which is absolutely trolling. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:15 pm
Well, I can't help but think that the best this new regime is going to attempt is a "re-tool on the fly".

Benning turned over 90% of his team in 3 years, no way do we see anything similar from Allvin.
Onward and upward here… not playing the game anymore today.

This is interesting. 90 % of the roster I three years but he was already here for four years previously so I don’t know if you are suggesting he’s only done these big changes within that three year period. A lot of guys that got launched are guys he brought in. Granlund, Guddy, Del Otto, Louie, Beagle etc
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:15 pm

No, I wouldn't think so. But in theory, the team has already been in some version of a rebuild mode for the five years since they were first willing to say the "R" word, so unless you gave Benning an "F", you have to suppose that at least some of the work is already done.

Edit: actually, that's a fun point. Which of the current players do you think will be the core of a Stanley Cup Champion? Which other supporting players currently on the roster, or in the prospect pipeline, will also be part of that championship team? And which players will have to be replaced by others not currently in the organization?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:54 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:36 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am
As a player and former Selke winner and 40 goal scorer he was absolutely as good as Miller. Elmer should have nutted up and played hardball with him. Bottom line is there wasn’t a garbage fire left like some people like to think. Elms inherited five top 4 d men. We haven’t even had four top 4 d men on the same roster since Bieksa got run out of town. Even today’s team has only three top 4 guys.
Oh I agree, Kesler was great and still on the cusp of the decline (a good cautionary note for how to handle Miller?), I'm just referring to the fact that the only option was to trade him to a single team. And at the risk of naming He Who Shall Not Be Named, Benning was in that position because the previous GM fucked it up at the TDD when Kesler was willing to waive to 6 teams.

I should really try to track down Kesler's radio interview from the last TDD where he laid out how it all played out, it was so fascinating. But he knew he was handcuffing Benning, and did it anyway.
In hindsight Elmer should have told him to shut his mouth and told him to expand his list or he could sit and rot. I know I said I understood why Elms did it at the time and applauded him for acting swiftly, it was a mistake. He should have told Kurt Overhardt to fuck off.
Wasn’t there a better deal on the table but the Canucks nixed it so RK said screw you and only gave 1 team as an option?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

2Fingers wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:06 pm
Wasn’t there a better deal on the table but the Canucks nixed it so RK said screw you and only gave 1 team as an option?
As Kesler told the story, he waived to 6 teams that he considered contenders for a TDD deal. He was told (via rumours I think, not from his agent) that he was going to Pittsburgh. He was stoked, because he thought the Penguins had a great shot at winning the Cup. Then the deadline came and went, he was still a Canuck, and he was royally pissed.

Then Gillis gets fired, Benning comes in, calls Kesler and says don't worry, we have your list of teams, we'll move you out. Kesler tells him - Nope, the list is now Anaheim or Chicago, nowhere else. Kesler, to his credit, didn't sugarcoat it or try to justify it, he just explained that was his reaction to how pissed off he was to still be a Canuck and that it had nothing to do with Benning.

Kesler was especially pissed when Pittsburgh went on to win the Cup the following year.

Edited to add, HW was scooping the talks at the time here, and she was under the impression that the Pittsburgh deal was done, I don't believe there's ever been a great explanation for why it fell apart on the 1 yard line.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I heard the Aquilinis jumped in and kiboshed it. Beginning of the end for Eye Bags.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All I know is, last nights absolute pure domination of the Flames was BenningBuilt 100%
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:23 pm All I know is, last nights absolute pure domination of the Flames was BenningBuilt 100%
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:23 pm All I know is, last nights absolute pure domination of the Flames was BenningBuilt 100%
That’s quite a great take. Still not close to a consistent playoff team … twice in seven years? Pat Quinn was winning divisions and got to Game 7 of the finals within seven years. And oh yeah he also coached the team as well and didn’t slither sway and hide from the media when times got tough.