An Apathetic Death

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Where do you land in terms of give a shit factor?

Don't miss a game, plan the parade after a win and burn it all down in a total rage when they lose, wearing Canuck coloured shades 24/7.
4%
Regularly tune in, a win means a good day tomorrow and a loss means I'll be hyper-analyzing, hungover, and grumpy tomorrow.
8%
Regularly tune in, yell at the TV over mistakes, cheer the big plays, but once the game is over life goes on.
54%
Usually tune in, don't really care too much about the outcome, just watching to be up to speed in conversations at CC.
No votes
Usually tune in, but it's just out of habit and I'm probably doing something else at the same time.
8%
Half-time viewer, catch the highlights, salute the wins but don't get too hung up over a loss.
8%
Other priorities but will set the VCR and watch later while skipping commercials.
4%
The team is background noise, something to talk about but I don't give a shit either way.
No votes
Don't watch at all, I'm just here because the quality of reprobate on this hockey talk message board is so damned high.
15%

Total votes: 26

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: An Apathetic Death

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pmRota
Donny have you seen Rota all tweaking and shit? He's a weird fuckin dude man
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 pm
donlever wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pmRota
Donny have you seen Rota all tweaking and shit? He's a weird fuckin dude man
Leave Rota alone. He loves a good time
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Darcy Rota is a great guy and an unbelievable athlete. I played some ball against him years ago and golfed behind him a few times at alumni tourneys, and you won't meet a better person. Fast skater, physical, good scrapper, and a solid scorer, Canucks could use a player like that down the left side right about now.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:58 am Darcy Rota is a great guy and an unbelievable athlete. I played some ball against him years ago and golfed behind him a few times at alumni tourneys, and you won't meet a better person. Fast skater, physical, good scrapper, and a solid scorer, Canucks could use a player like that down the left side right about now.
Helluva golfer too I am told.

Rota had "Imma kill you MF'er" eyes when he was fighting or pissed.

This current team with a Rota, a Fraser and a Diduck added is a completely different animal.

And those are not Superstar HOF players.

Just good, tough, honest hockey players.

We still produce those in Canada right (I know Fraser is American thanks)?
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:58 am Darcy Rota is a great guy and an unbelievable athlete. I played some ball against him years ago and golfed behind him a few times at alumni tourneys, and you won't meet a better person. Fast skater, physical, good scrapper, and a solid scorer, Canucks could use a player like that down the left side right about now.
Did you guys play pass the toilet roll too or....?

:D
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doc where is that Darcy Rota tweaking gif you shared a number of times
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am
Helluva golfer too I am told.

Rota had "Imma kill you MF'er" eyes when he was fighting or pissed.

This current team with a Rota, a Fraser and a Diduck added is a completely different animal.

And those are not Superstar HOF players.

Just good, tough, honest hockey players.

We still produce those in Canada right (I know Fraser is American thanks)?
You're right, Rota is a great golfer and his eyes would light right up when he lost his shit. Schmautz was kind of the same but more ruthless. The Canucks didn't get nearly enough for Schmautz when they dealt him to the Bruins, I guess Oddleifson and Walton did give them a couple decent seasons, and I remember when he came back his line with Williams and Brasar was very productive. This is a good take:

In Williams' book he called Fraser a battleship of a player and that's a perfect description. Another player I was disappointed to see go, but I knew they were at least getting a sniper back in Tanti. The Fraser KO of Farrish is a classic.

Diduck was a beauty, Quinn got stiffed on the deal sending him to Chicago, and I've said it a million times, but another player who would be perfect right now is The Strangler, Garth Butcher.
Last edited by Curmudgeon on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:31 am
Did you guys play pass the toilet roll too or....?

:D
Couldn't spare a square.

You're starting to sound like one of those woke GenZs masquerading as Canucks fans who were making fun of Steamer for mispronouncing Podkolzin's name at the draft without even knowing who he is and what he's meant to the franchise and community. Show some goddamn respect! lol
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:15 am In Williams' book he called Fraser a battleship of a player and that's a perfect description. Another player I was disappointed to see go, but I knew they were at least getting a sniper back in Tanti. The Fraser KO of Farrish is a classic.
Thats a beaut Curm!

I love the Fraser "quit fucking around, lets go" gesture.

Take a close look at that boys and girls.

Fraser had FAST hands man.

You almost miss the second jab after he lands the first his hands moved so quick.
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I saw Fraser put Terry O’reilly on his ass at the old Coliseum back in the day.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

They may not have won much but the Steamer etc. era Canucks didn't lack jam. Friend of mine was a buddy of Denis Potvin, and Potvin said the one guy he hated playing against was Stan because no matter what he always finished his check and made you pay. There were some entertaining games at the Coliseum.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Arbour wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:37 pm They may not have won much but the Steamer etc. era Canucks didn't lack jam. Friend of mine was a buddy of Denis Potvin, and Potvin said the one guy he hated playing against was Stan because no matter what he always finished his check and made you pay. There were some entertaining games at the Coliseum.

DeLevering since 1999.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Don't see too much of that anymore. Of course with the new equipment guys like Potvin and Scott Stevens would probably be suspended for life.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Kariya might be dead.

Did Potvin not put Bob Dailey down and out in a game at the PC one time?

I was a kid at the time going to games on my Dads dime but seems to me I recall it happening?

Was it Dailey?

Or was it maybe Guevremont?

As an aside Potvin Sucks chants can be heard, for no specific reason whatsoever, at Yankee, Mets and Knicks games as well....
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potvin obliterated my buddy’s cousin in 78. He still had a pretty good career but he always lamented that his skating was never the same after that hit from Potvin tore his knee to shreds. For whatever reason Jake Milford traded the kid to the leaves the next year with Rick Vaive for a veteran wrestler and Jerry Butthair.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”