WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WTF is up with Pettersson?

He's nursing an unknown injury.
13%
He's still working himself into game shape.
16%
He doesn't want to be here.
3%
Sabotaging the coach.
No votes
Nothing is wrong - he'll come around soon.
29%
Nothing is wrong - this is what we have now.
16%
It's a mental thing / he's distracted.
16%
It's a coaching problem.
6%

Total votes: 31

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 am Almost all of their failings stem from the fact that they've allowed the throatchinian to neuter the group of any physical presence and pushback. That element is the glue that bonds a team, especially a young bunch like we have.

Nobody is banging bodies and creating room for these smaller skilled players. It's pathetic.

Maybe Zac Mac wasn't the best player or anything but he got in there and bloodied noses.
This

The mix is pathetic, it’s clear as day. The straw that broke that back was not signing Tanev and Markstrom, those two had lots of respect in the room. Markstrom was like a father figure to Petey and Hughes loved Tanev. Should’ve traded Demko, signed Marky. After that last playoff run, Demko’s value was high. Stupid move, Demko could’ve returned a player. Resigning Virtanen and not resigning Toffoli was also dumb. The players seemed pretty upset they didn’t bring back Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli

I’d say the same for Edler, he had a presence in that dressing room

This team reminds me so much of the Taylor Hall era Oilers

Green is hopeless, he can’t coach skilled players and seems to have a dislike for truculence. It’s an indictment seeing how well ex Canucks blossom elsewhere. Don’t think Schmidt liked Green one bit and vice versa
Markstrom hit his potential and contract renewal at the wrong age. It was stupid of Elmer to let him walk for nothing, his rights should have been traded for something (if possible).....but considering the state of the team I don't think it would have made a difference. If you pay attention, Demko is actually a better goaltender for this current disaster. Markstrom was pretty average last year in Calgary behind a floundering defensive system. Sutter righted that ship and Marky is shining like Kipper did during the first Sutter go-round in Cowtown.

No argument on Tanev. While I'm indifferent to him leaving there was no real need to let him walk. A right side of Tanev, Myers, and Schenn, would have been far better than Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn.....so long as Tanev remained healthy.

I thought the scuttlebutt was that Edler didn't want to re-sign here?

The swap of Schmidt and Poolman is very telling. A guy leaves team A and returns to good form with team B and the guy from team B goes over a cliff with team A. Hmmmmmmmm......
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:06 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:03 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:58 am Benning leaves for the next gm some impressive young pieces to build around. The most difficult to acquire assets are in place, now if they can find someone who recognizes what is holding back the team (mentioned above) I honestly figure they can make some noise.

Jimmy may not see the weaknesses but he was able to draft talent. I'll give him that
Agreed

But that won’t change the “win now, fuck the future” directive. Not one bit.
Or letting critical assets walk for no apparent reason other than economics (Tanev/Toffoli).

The Markstrom situation was more complex. They kept the asset with the higher ceiling and I don't think there was a wrong decision but they definitely could've converted Demko into a need like a top 4 righty and still had elite goaltending.
Demko will be an elite goaltender for years to come. Who would've guessed Tanev would finally beat the injury bug. The Nate Schmidt was a strange experiment but that not working out is entirely on Green not knowing the fuck what he's doing.
WTF was the owner chatting with his players about? That's not a sight you see often. Kind of tells you everything you need to know. Fucking guy bangs on Roberto's door in Florida to tell him what he wants to say. Meddlesome? You can't make this shit up.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:19 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 am Almost all of their failings stem from the fact that they've allowed the throatchinian to neuter the group of any physical presence and pushback. That element is the glue that bonds a team, especially a young bunch like we have.

Nobody is banging bodies and creating room for these smaller skilled players. It's pathetic.

Maybe Zac Mac wasn't the best player or anything but he got in there and bloodied noses.
This

The mix is pathetic, it’s clear as day. The straw that broke that back was not signing Tanev and Markstrom, those two had lots of respect in the room. Markstrom was like a father figure to Petey and Hughes loved Tanev. Should’ve traded Demko, signed Marky. After that last playoff run, Demko’s value was high. Stupid move, Demko could’ve returned a player. Resigning Virtanen and not resigning Toffoli was also dumb. The players seemed pretty upset they didn’t bring back Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli

I’d say the same for Edler, he had a presence in that dressing room

This team reminds me so much of the Taylor Hall era Oilers

Green is hopeless, he can’t coach skilled players and seems to have a dislike for truculence. It’s an indictment seeing how well ex Canucks blossom elsewhere. Don’t think Schmidt liked Green one bit and vice versa
Markstrom hit his potential and contract renewal at the wrong age. It was stupid of Elmer to let him walk for nothing, his rights should have been traded for something (if possible).....but considering the state of the team I don't think it would have made a difference. If you pay attention, Demko is actually a better goaltender for this current disaster. Markstrom was pretty average last year in Calgary behind a floundering defensive system. Sutter righted that ship and Marky is shining like Kipper did during the first Sutter go-round in Cowtown.

No argument on Tanev. While I'm indifferent to him leaving there was no real need to let him walk. A right side of Tanev, Myers, and Schenn, would have been far better than Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn.....so long as Tanev remained healthy.

I thought the scuttlebutt was that Edler didn't want to re-sign here?

The swap of Schmidt and Poolman is very telling. A guy leaves team A and returns to good form with team B and the guy from team B goes over a cliff with team A. Hmmmmmmmm......
Disagree about keeping Demko over Markstrom. The intangibles with having Markstrom around are clearly noticed in the room right now, the lack thereof not having him around anymore. He was well liked and respected, a very vocal leader and Petey looked up to him. I’m not sold that you need “young goalies” you drafted etc. We could’ve gotten a very good asset for Demko.

Things went way south when Tanev and Markstrom were let go to sign elsewhere, the room deflated. Tanev and Edler should be retiring as Canucks. Very idiotic mistake IMO
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:34 am Things went way south when Tanev and Markstrom were let go to sign elsewhere, the room deflated. Tanev and Edler should be retiring as Canucks. Very idiotic mistake IMO
Whether we kept them or not, and both would be doing well here right (in theory) - the players left behind should be professional enough to get past this and start earning their pay. If they're pouting / not focused / uninspired, etc after 20 games, then they're a lost cause, Bo should lose the C and then be gutted when the new GM comes in.

*Spoiler alert: We get to watch them flounder for another 60 games.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:34 am Things went way south when Tanev and Markstrom were let go to sign elsewhere, the room deflated. Tanev and Edler should be retiring as Canucks. Very idiotic mistake IMO
Whether we kept them or not, and both would be doing well here right (in theory) - the players left behind should be professional enough to get past this and start earning their pay. If they're pouting / not focused / uninspired, etc after 20 games, then they're a lost cause, Bo should lose the C and then be gutted when the new GM comes in.

*Spoiler alert: We get to watch them flounder for another 60 games.
It’s not about the players getting past that. You remove too many character guys in a short while it’s going to have an impact, guys like Tanev, Markstrom, Edler and even Stecher as well. The guts also couldn’t contain themselves on how much they loved having Toffoli around. There is not enough character in that room now, it’s a lame room. Bo is a good guy, no denying that but he doesn’t scream “character” for your captain, he’s a bit dull IMO, good guy and all. If they trade Miller the text will no life to it. Big mistake trading Miller, the dude has a soul.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

A defence of Hughes, Tanev, Edler, Benn, Schenn and insert expensive UFA( Myers+ OEL’s $$ ) is much better than the current abortion. We are stuck with Myers for three more years and OEL for five. 13 million for those two guys :scowl:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:04 am A defence of Hughes, Tanev, Edler, Benn, Schenn and insert expensive UFA( Myers+ OEL’s $$ ) is much better than the current abortion. We are stuck with Myers for three more years and OEL for five. 13 million for those two guys :scowl:
Yeah it’s not looking good. I don’t have a great problem with the OEL/Garland transaction but the revolving door has caused a problem in the room. It seems we jettison out more character players every year than needs to be, the team has no soul right now. Expecting to gel with others like they’ve been life long besties is ridiculous, you need a consistent constant, but it seems we are well past that like the damage is done. I’m seeing great similarities with this current group and the Taylor Hall era Oilers, no heart, no soul. The kids are running the asylum. Ridiculous really
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:10 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:04 am A defence of Hughes, Tanev, Edler, Benn, Schenn and insert expensive UFA( Myers+ OEL’s $$ ) is much better than the current abortion. We are stuck with Myers for three more years and OEL for five. 13 million for those two guys :scowl:
Yeah it’s not looking good. I don’t have a great problem with the OEL/Garland transaction but the revolving door has caused a problem in the room. It seems we jettison out more character players every year than needs to be, the team has no soul right now. Expecting to gel with others like they’ve been life long besties is ridiculous, you need a consistent constant, but it seems we are well past that like the damage is done. I’m seeing great similarities with this current group and the Taylor Hall era Oilers, no heart, no soul. The kids are running the asylum. Ridiculous really
Maybe Bo is the problem.....maybe he's not captain material?

He's the longest serving Canuck now. He's the guy who they "started" the rebuild with really. Any time a team goes into rebuild mode the torch has to be passed along at some point, and really the plan was to do exactly what they've done. Perhaps it was accelerated by a year due to Hughes and Pettersson having such outstanding rookie campaigns and subsequent impact on the team, but the torch always needs to be passed.

Markstrom was not a mistake. However, keeping him probably would have been fine too.

Tanev was allegedly offered the same money to stay here but got a year more term in Calgary and didn't seem to want to wait to see what would shake out while Elmer was chasing OEL.

Toffoli was also allegedly offered the same money to stay here but got impatient and signed in Montreal.....and it's not like he waited a long time.

Edler apparently elected to test UFA. This is telling about the team (if true). The guy had been here the longest of anyone and had always refused to waive his NTC because he wanted to stay in Vancouver. For him to decide he didn't even want to talk about re-signing, and then went and signed with a team that is not a contender.....that's where shit smells bad.

But if Bo can't unite this group when you've got 7 guys who have been here for more than 3 years, plus the 2-3 year crowd.....well something isn't right.

That is only to say IF the problem is in the room and due to a few outgoing personnel.

The fact that they are currently doing sweet nothing about the state of things is the most frustrating.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Mëds wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:56 am
Edler apparently elected to test UFA. This is telling about the team (if true). The guy had been here the longest of anyone and had always refused to waive his NTC because he wanted to stay in Vancouver. For him to decide he didn't even want to talk about re-signing, and then went and signed with a team that is not a contender.....that's where shit smells bad.
I hadn't thought of it in exactly those terms but you're right: that's a very telling point. We can try to read the tea leaves and argue about exactly what, but clearly something is very wrong in Canuckville.

The Little Eagles deserved the rebuke, but I also think it was classy of Dumoulin to clean it up like that so a Canucks player didn't have to. I suppose most NHLers without an NTC know that there but for the grace of the Hockey Gawds, and an unfortunate trade, go they.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:02 am Even if Petey has it in himself to right the ship and level off as a legit top line player, the failing of the organization to make changes both on and behind the bench if likely forcing a situation where Petey needs a change of scenery to get back on track.....they've just let things stew and fester, and this is clearly not one of those situations where the best thing you can do is nothing at all.
If it's a change of scenery he needs, then hopefully the break for the Olympic tournament can help him get his mojo back. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:02 am Even if Petey has it in himself to right the ship and level off as a legit top line player, the failing of the organization to make changes both on and behind the bench if likely forcing a situation where Petey needs a change of scenery to get back on track.....they've just let things stew and fester, and this is clearly not one of those situations where the best thing you can do is nothing at all.
If it's a change of scenery he needs, then hopefully the break for the Olympic tournament can help him get his mojo back. :|
Is that what he'd get?
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:30 am
Is that what he'd get?
Better hold back the snark around The Perster. He once posted a picture of himself holding a weapon of mass distruction as a warning to potential snarksters

Take heed
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well after last night Petey might not need to go anywhere for that change of scenery.....the scenery in Vancouver looks like it might be about to change.