WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WTF is up with Pettersson?

He's nursing an unknown injury.
13%
He's still working himself into game shape.
16%
He doesn't want to be here.
3%
Sabotaging the coach.
No votes
Nothing is wrong - he'll come around soon.
29%
Nothing is wrong - this is what we have now.
16%
It's a mental thing / he's distracted.
16%
It's a coaching problem.
6%

Total votes: 31

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Post by Cornuck »

Ok - we're 11 games into the season, the kid has new contract and it should all be good, right? It's obvious he has the talent, that's not the question - so 'something' seems to be amiss with his play and effort. So what's the deal?

Although Pettersson has more raw talent than either Sedin, it might be worth noting that the Sedins took a while to develop. They had 4 years of growth, then a year in Sweden for the lockout and came back as (pretty much) PPG players. EP40 started out a PPG player and has regressed to about 1/2 that (last season and this).

He's playing more, he's shooting more - but he seems less involved. WTF is going on?

Injury? Mental? Still playing into game shape? Maybe there is no problem and we're over-reacting to a slow start?

I figured this is a big enough topic for its own thread, and I'm curious what thoughts are out there.

11 games
1 goal (on the PP)
4 assists
5 points (3 on the PP)
3.2% shot percentage (career avg: 16.5)
28.99% faceoff percentage (career avg: 40.8)
20:59 avg TOI (career avg: 18:34)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Re: WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Post by donlever »

All I've seen is highlights of solid and sometimes dazzling play in previous years and some shitty shifts in one and a bit games in 2021 so I'm not going to vote.

I will say this though.

The Sedins had to, and did, fight through more thuggery than it appears EP has to in the current rendition of the NHL.

He does seem a bit weak on the puck and easily pushed aside (or down).

Currently I wouldn't have an opinion on why that is due to the aforementioned lack of background intel.

Is he strong enough (physically and mentally) to succeed in this league?

Who said this is what we have now?

5 bucks on Reef!!

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s called missing the last 30 games of last season due to a nagging injury, and missing a good portion of training camp

Settle the fuck down everyone
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I see someone who isn't in shape both physically and mentally.. He isn't a great skater to start with but he can usually get to loose pucks or cause center ice turnovers with quickness and I'm not seeing any of that. His conditioning must be off and its affecting his anticipation of plays as well.

Otherwise the wrist must still be weak and he can't let shots go as quick yet.

My money is on weak wrist and shitty conditioning
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:16 am Settle the fuck down everyone
Lol, ah Dude, it's just a topical conversation about the Canucks which is what this GDHTMB is for right?

Not sure "everyone" really needs to "settle down".

Surely discussing the situation regarding what should be one of our elite players is as interesting and intriguing to many here as you and Blob debating LA King draft picks ad nauseum.

You are getting a bit cantankerous in your old age eh?

DeLevering since 1999.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pettersson hasn't seemed committed to the game since coming back. Even at half tilt, he's creative and should be able to find ways to make things happen but he really hasn't been. In that regard, I've been disappointed in his effort level. At some point I'm hoping a level of urgency kicks in and it supersedes the humdrums he seems to be in right now.
He aint the only one though! It would do this team a world of good if the extraterrestrial Petey powers showed up. A couple or three others are notably slumping just as bad.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:16 am It’s called missing the last 30 games of last season due to a nagging injury, and missing a good portion of training camp

That’s rich coming from you.

He is just not into it right now, his brain is till back in Sweden.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I wouldn't be concerned if we had seen some 'flashes' of his brilliance and talent in these games, but he just looks flat. Hoglander (among others) isn't lighting it up, but we'll see the odd play that shows hope for more. I'm just not seeing this with Petey.

It seems more mental than physical to me (just a guess).

I'd love to watch a game live and see how looks away from the play, on the bench, etc - so see if he's "into it", or just going through the motions.

I'm also guessing that this recent break was the longest he's been away from competitive hockey since he first laced up the skates. It might also be the first real challenge he's faced as a player. The pressure won't be letting up on him until he start showing something, so if it's mental - this could take a while.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I think you have to give the guy a bit of leeway. He's still a young guy and he's just going through a bad stretch.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:16 am It’s called missing the last 30 games of last season due to a nagging injury, and missing a good portion of training camp

Eggsactamundo my North Shore mafioso…you can tell his confidence and strength is not there yet. It will get stronger….like the force…in me… :look:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Arachnid wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:32 am…you can tell his confidence and strength is not there yet. It will get stronger….
His quickness has regressed and that can only be he let his off season training fall behind. Maybe all the duck faced photograms or whatever they are should be dropped and a more concerted effort placed into getting stronger/faster/better.

I predict he has a poor season but next year comes back ready to roll
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

BCExpat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:18 am I think you have to give the guy a bit of leeway. He's still a young guy and he's just going through a bad stretch.
Easy for a guy to say who is living in the midst of a sky high euphoria while following a team that apparently can not lose and rarely gets scored on.

Everything is just peachy kean positive in the Expat world these days.

Your freaking car is probably washing itself these days as well.

:wink:
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

donlever wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:15 am

Who said this is what we have now?

5 bucks on Reef!!

Reef is among almost 40% of people who feel the same way :sly:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2Fingers wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:05 am
He is just not into it right now, his brain is till back in Sweden.
Top shelf commentary from Hibiki
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:36 am
Arachnid wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:32 am…you can tell his confidence and strength is not there yet. It will get stronger….
His quickness has regressed and that can only be he let his off season training fall behind. Maybe all the duck faced photograms or whatever they are should be dropped and a more concerted effort placed into getting stronger/faster/better.

I predict he has a poor season but next year comes back ready to roll
He was more concerned about his “brand” than playing hockey, now he’s realizing he fucked up last year not staying in game shape when injured.