WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WTF is up with Pettersson?

He's nursing an unknown injury.
13%
He's still working himself into game shape.
16%
He doesn't want to be here.
3%
Sabotaging the coach.
No votes
Nothing is wrong - he'll come around soon.
29%
Nothing is wrong - this is what we have now.
16%
It's a mental thing / he's distracted.
16%
It's a coaching problem.
6%

Total votes: 31

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

donlever wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:18 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:40 pm
donlever wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:51 am I just love how you think the team will magically be better with a new GM but same owners. Ain’t happening, same shit different dude in the chair. The shit show will continue
I don't disagree.

So what's the point in continuing to pay attention?
That's why I will continue to prefer to believe that the ownership situation could be managed by the right GM until the conclusion that ownership issues are completely intractable becomes inescapable.
Geezus H are you stubborn, smell the coffee Brewhouse.
Edit...b 4 doc and ap jump all over me...

He ain't saying you're wrong Dude.
I'm glad I was able to make my meaning clear to at least one other poster.
donlever wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm
He's just saying for the sake of his fandom he chooses to believe otherwise.
For as long as that's logically sustainable. Chef's case is persuasive, but not compelling -- not yet, anyway.

And while H.W.'s insider insights offered many unflattering perspectives on the Little Eagles' operation, "intractably interfered with hockey operations" did not seem to be amongst them, if I read it right. (Excepting "you need to replace that coach" which I can easily overlook because it seemed pretty obvious to everyone else in the hockey world.)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Not sure RG.

The whole Brad Richard's thing eats at me ya know.

Smoke.

Fire.
DeLevering since 1999.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:19 pm He’s gonna be blaming Benning for many years to come like blaming Mike Gillis for many years and more
I don't recall any posts where I blamed Mike Gillis for the state of the team after he was fired, beyond agreeing with you that Benning started in a difficult position.

I think that the new GM will also be starting in a difficult position. Yes, there's talent on this roster, but there was talent on the roster Benning inherited, too. There's probably more young talent on this roster, but bigger holes, too.

The only point of blaming the old GM that I can see is the way you used it: to excuse the poor performance of the current GM.

I will judge New Guy, whenever he starts, the same way as I do all GMs during their tenure. I will base my expectations on how what they say and do looks to me at the time (bearing in mind that the GM is always acting on a larger information set than any fan), and my final assessment on the performance of the team.

Did we ever agree on how much time it's fair to give a new GM before we can judge the team he's put together? I don't recall you specifying an interval. I think eight years it too much. I believe it will be fair to judge New Guy after five.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

donlever wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:17 pm Not sure RG.

The whole Brad Richard's thing eats at me ya know.

Smoke.

Fire.
I'm not even sure that's the strongest evidence. It's possible I'm being willfully blind, though I'd prefer to describe it as "willing suspension of disbelief".

I at least want to wait and see how it goes with New Guy. Like I said (and this may just be Doc's potion talking here, but) there's at least a chance that the Little Eagles have twigged to the idea that people who aren't hockey experts fucking around with the operation of the team could cost them serious money -- if it hasn't already -- and if they were guilty of such things before, they've seen the error of their ways. Maybe now that the toy is no longer new it's not as much fun to play with; maybe they are more adverse to the idea of depreciating their asset than they used to be.

For now, for me, there remains enough doubt to keep the process entertaining.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So Pettersson will light it up for 3-4 goals tonight, Green will blow his brains out. (Just a guess) :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:36 pm So Pettersson will light it up for 3-4 goals tonight, Green will blow his brains out. (Just a guess) :D
I would be comfortable with the 3-4 goals, not so comfortable with the rest...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Goals in consecutive games now and is it just me or is he beginning to look like the old Petey again?
Getting some of that swagger back.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:05 pm Goals in consecutive games now and is it just me or is he beginning to look like the old Petey again?
Even seeing the semi sarcastic grin a bit again.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:05 pm Goals in consecutive games now and is it just me or is he beginning to look like the old Petey again?
He looks more engaged in every zone…..and he has since Green was shown the gate.

Whodathunk that a coach could hold back a team at the NHL level that badly.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:46 pm Whodathunk that a coach could hold back a team at the NHL level that badly.
I would not have predicted an effect as large as we have observed. Interesting and worthwhile lesson.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Mëds wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:46 pm
He looks more engaged in every zone…..and he has since Green was shown the gate.

He does Mëds, and Boudreau's coaching and style of play along with having Garland and Pod as consistent linemates is perfect timing all around.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Ditching the longer stick may have helped as well. I wonder why he tried longer sticks in the first place?

Whatever Green & Co. were trying to do with him, it clearly wasn't working. Almost as if he and a guys like Boeser were taking what Green was telling them to do to passive extremes - I can only speculate as to why. Maybe playing not to lose instead of playing to win?

Petey has some more road to travel before we see vintage Petey but he seems to be on track.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:39 pm

He does Mëds, and Boudreau's coaching and style of play along with having Garland and Pod as consistent linemates is perfect timing all around.
The players hate having a coach juggle lines constantly.

Bruce (there it is) hasn't changed fuck all
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Having linemates who can both make plays and shoot the puck helps. The difference between this line and the old Lotto Line is the difference between Garland and Boeser. Garland is the better playmaker and digger while Boeser is the better shooter. Podkolzin does a lot of what Miller does - just not as well. Having Podkolzin and Garland meshing with Pettersson now really allows BB to deploy Miller at centre - though I still like him better as a power winger. I don't think the Lotto Line needs to reunite at all to get Petey going.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Having linemates who can both make plays and shoot the puck helps. The difference between this line and the old Lotto Line is the difference between Garland and Boeser. Garland is the better playmaker and digger while Boeser is the better shooter. Podkolzin does a lot of what Miller does - just not as well. Having Podkolzin and Garland meshing with Pettersson now really allows BB to deploy Miller at centre - though I still like him better as a power winger. I don't think the Lotto Line needs to reunite at all to get Petey going.
The other thing being accomplished is distributed scoring threats through 3 lines.

Boeser - Miller - Dicknson/Hoglander
Hoglander - Horvat - Dickinson/Pearson
Garland - Pettersson - Pod

When given the greenlight to go out and make something happen instead of sitting back playing rope-a-dope-d it's pretty obvious why they are suddenly having some success on the scoreboard and in the win column.

The Canucks have 3 lines that can actually generate offense.....good luck to most opposing coaches trying to line match against that.