WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WTF is up with Pettersson?

He's nursing an unknown injury.
13%
He's still working himself into game shape.
16%
He doesn't want to be here.
3%
Sabotaging the coach.
No votes
Nothing is wrong - he'll come around soon.
29%
Nothing is wrong - this is what we have now.
16%
It's a mental thing / he's distracted.
16%
It's a coaching problem.
6%

Total votes: 31

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: WTF is up with Pettersson? (Poll)

Post by Strangelove »

They say there's a fine line between genius and insanity...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Aaronp18 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:34 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:10 pm Earlier in the season I saw Pettersson after a couple goals for, and he didn't look the least bit interested let alone excited, like he'd rather be on a boat somewhere in the Mediterranean or working on his "brand" online and between that having a bad case of masonraymonditis, I'm not sure how he turns it around here.
If we knew how he could turn it around then I'm sure he would.

Maybe there's a lot more to be said for his comment before he signed in the off-season about wanting to play for a winner! Perhaps thats why he didn't sign a longer term deal.

Is there something the players know that we don't (can almost guarantee this is true), but then what is it and can it be rectified?

And it's not like he's the only one!
He sure has the talent to. Could be wrong, I think both parties wanted to do a long term deal, but the Canucks cap situation prevented it.

I hear you on the rest, I was pointing to the departures from the room and how they went down, along with Pettersson specifically spending too much time with social media and on his brand, going back to the start of last year and I wouldn't doubt if it's still a factor. One of many, perhaps.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pettersson is a beaut, don’t you worry about him. This thread should be shut down and a new one started discussing in a concerning way, Doyle’s disgusting eating habits that keep him hovering around 250 lbs, 5’-10.5”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:57 am Pettersson is a beaut, don’t you worry about him. This thread should be shut down and a new one started discussing in a concerning way, Doyle’s disgusting eating habits that keep him hovering around 250 lbs, 5’-10.5”
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

One thing I noticed about Pettersson last night is that his effort level is inconsistent. It was higher more often last night than in previous nights, but some of that might have been because mommy and daddy were in the stands.

The other thing that stood out was his reaction to the post he hit. The play wasn't dead and he just stood there raised his hands and shrugged in frustration for a second before trying to re-engage in the play.....after that his effort was more inconsistent, and when he put more into it there were more errors and too many "one man attempts".

Even if Petey has it in himself to right the ship and level off as a legit top line player, the failing of the organization to make changes both on and behind the bench if likely forcing a situation where Petey needs a change of scenery to get back on track.....they've just let things stew and fester, and this is clearly not one of those situations where the best thing you can do is nothing at all.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

^^^^Petey is the new Edler^**^
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Almost all of their failings stem from the fact that they've allowed the throatchinian to neuter the group of any physical presence and pushback. That element is the glue that bonds a team, especially a young bunch like we have.

Nobody is banging bodies and creating room for these smaller skilled players. It's pathetic.

Maybe Zac Mac wasn't the best player or anything but he got in there and bloodied noses.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 am ^^^^Petey is the new Edler^**^
He’s been fucking awful all season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 am Almost all of their failings stem from the fact that they've allowed the throatchinian to neuter the group of any physical presence and pushback. That element is the glue that bonds a team, especially a young bunch like we have.

Nobody is banging bodies and creating room for these smaller skilled players. It's pathetic.

Maybe Zac Mac wasn't the best player or anything but he got in there and bloodied noses.
This

The mix is pathetic, it’s clear as day. The straw that broke that back was not signing Tanev and Markstrom, those two had lots of respect in the room. Markstrom was like a father figure to Petey and Hughes loved Tanev. Should’ve traded Demko, signed Marky. After that last playoff run, Demko’s value was high. Stupid move, Demko could’ve returned a player. Resigning Virtanen and not resigning Toffoli was also dumb. The players seemed pretty upset they didn’t bring back Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli

I’d say the same for Edler, he had a presence in that dressing room

This team reminds me so much of the Taylor Hall era Oilers

Green is hopeless, he can’t coach skilled players and seems to have a dislike for truculence. It’s an indictment seeing how well ex Canucks blossom elsewhere. Don’t think Schmidt liked Green one bit and vice versa
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I agree the mix is pathetic. So is the intensity, the lack of attention to detail, the lack of size and speed. The defence corps is bottom 5 in the league. This is on the manager and the coaches. They can eat equal blame. Get some intern help moved in while they look for the correct management/coaching staff/players. This bullshit can’t continue any longer. Be a leader Fredo and whack them today. This leaving them twisting in the wind is pretty low rent.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:55 am I agree the mix is pathetic. So is the intensity, the lack of attention to detail, the lack of size and speed. The defence corps is bottom 5 in the league. This is on the manager and the coaches. They can eat equal blame. Get some intern help moved in while they look for the correct management/coaching staff/players. This bullshit can’t continue any longer. Be a leader Fredo and whack them today. This leaving them twisting in the wind is pretty low rent.
So you think the Aqualini’s will change how they want this team managed? Ain’t happening. Gillis tried to change them - “FIRED!” Nonis said no to a trade they wanted him to make with Tampa - “FIRED!”

What guy out there do you honestly think can work with these idiotic owners we have, can change them? Ain’t happening

Linden wanted to rebuild slowly through the draft - “FIRED!” Again there is reason why Benning hasn’t been fired yet, he tows the company line
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

@ Pacific Blue, I think for a few years Gillis had their ear. Towards the end when Fredo shoved John Tortorella on Gillis and then told him he couldn’t rebuild, things turned sour. We heard no rumblings of ownership meddling between 2008-2012/13. We need that to return. I agree that the owners are a massive problem, but they aren’t selling the team.

Benning was a patsy from day 1. He was set up to fail. Either way he can’t be steering the ship anymore if he ever even was. The brand needs to be altered and changes are coming. He’s mortgaged too much of the future and I don’t trust him to make the big deals this team needs to make in the next year and a half. He’s had his kick at the can regardless whether he’s had an arm in his ass a good chunk of the time. He can’t communicate/public speak and he isn’t a leader. I’m sure he’d be a good dude to crush some pints with but he is a scout/ guy payer personnel guy, not a manager.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 am @ Pacific Blue, I think for a few years Gillis had their ear. Towards the end when Fredo shoved John Tortorella on Gillis and then told him he couldn’t rebuild, things turned sour. We heard no rumblings of ownership meddling between 2008-2012/13. We need that to return. I agree that the owners are a massive problem, but they aren’t selling the team.

Benning was a patsy from day 1. He was set up to fail. Either way he can’t be steering the ship anymore if he ever even was. The brand needs to be altered and changes are coming. He’s mortgaged too much of the future and I don’t trust him to make the big deals this team needs to make in the next year and a half. He’s had his kick at the can regardless whether he’s had an arm in his ass a good chunk of the time. He can’t communicate/public speak and he isn’t a leader. I’m sure he’d be a good dude to crush some pints with but he is a scout/ guy payer personnel guy, not a manager.
It's pretty clear that Benning is only a stand in while they search for his replacement and the only reason Green is still there is because the new manager will set up his own coaching group/direction. It may take all year and this season will be tossed in the bin. It's already basically over so ownership won't be rushing into anything unfortunately.

This whole situation is a fucking embarrassment to the stinky whale.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Again, do you honestly think the “owners” will change with a “new puppet yes man” in the chair? it’s how the owners want this team managed is what has to change. Step back and let the GM you hire build the team in a way that wants, a long term plan, not the short sighted plan these impatient idiotic owners demand
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 am @ Pacific Blue, I think for a few years Gillis had their ear. Towards the end when Fredo shoved John Tortorella on Gillis and then told him he couldn’t rebuild, things turned sour. We heard no rumblings of ownership meddling between 2008-2012/13. We need that to return. I agree that the owners are a massive problem, but they aren’t selling the team.

This whole situation is a fucking embarrassment to the stinky whale.
And that’s on the owners, not the GM. The owners love Jim because he’s obedient, he does what he’s told, no push back.