2021-22 Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How will Canucks do this year?

Shit the bed / great draft pick.
6%
Out of the playoffs
10%
Make the playoffs / slip in / late wild card
23%
Solid team the makes the playoffs
13%
Wins 1 round
29%
Wins 2 rounds
6%
Wins the West
3%
Goes. All. The. Way.
10%

Total votes: 31

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021-22 Predictions

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:33 am This team is still is too soft to dominate in my opinion. They need more grit from their top players and I don't see it with this core yet.

I predict a bubble team unless they can add more sandpaper that plays in their top 2 lines and top 4 D
This is the reason I predict no playoffs in Vancouver.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:46 am
theman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 am The Canucks are like a lot of teams, if they avoid long term injuries to key players, they will be fine.

I think the Canucks top 9 F is very good and too 4 D will be solid enough. Avoid injuries there, they will be a play off team.
I think they can better survive an injury to a key player than, say, Edmonton. One through nine forwards are deeper than any team in the Pacific IMO, with a great center on the third line playing with guys who would be tweener top six wingers but can step up.

Put it this way - without McDavid or Draisatl the oilers miss the playoffs. Canucks had no Petey last year and were almost in before the whole team got covid.
That Oilers team fed us our lunch for 50 minutes the other night. It was nearly our opening night roster and they had their top 3 players sitting out.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:08 pm
Ekland wrote:1. The Western Conference Champions will be the Vancouver Canucks.
The Canucks have all the pieces and no one seems to remember how this team in the bubble playoffs went to the Conference Finals. Last year, with the pandemic, no team was screwed more and I truly feel we will see an evolution of this team beyond what we have seen to date. With Quinn and Pettersson signed and the additions of Garland and Ekman-Larsson this team is primed to take a much larger step than anyone seems to realize.
LINK
Except for the fact that they didn't go to the conference finals. They lost in the 2nd round.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:08 am
theman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 am The Canucks are like a lot of teams, if they avoid long term injuries to key players, they will be fine.

I think the Canucks top 9 F is very good and too 4 D will be solid enough. Avoid injuries there, they will be a play off team.
I think they can better survive an injury to a key player than, say, Edmonton. One through nine forwards are deeper than any team in the Pacific IMO, with a great center on the third line playing with guys who would be tweener top six wingers but can step up.

Put it this way - without McDavid or Draisatl the oilers miss the playoffs. Canucks had no Petey last year and were almost in before the whole team got covid.
That Oilers team fed us our lunch for 50 minutes the other night. It was nearly our opening night roster and they had their top 3 players sitting out.
Take a chill pill, Jabrone.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Well, Edmonton was going for another pre-season title, so they were more fired up than the Canucks :roll:

At the very worse, the Canucks will be in the top 3 in the Pacific. Vegas and the Oil will also be there.

The flames could be a bubble team. The only X factor for them is Sutter behind the bench - he always gets the most out of his players, at least until they tune him out in a few years.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I won’t predict playoffs or not because their playoff chances are predicated upon how long it takes to fire Green. If he’s removed by mid-season, they could still make it, but beyond that all bets are off. If he finishes the season, I think they miss the playoffs.

How he gets a pass from the media and fans is beyond me, Willie Desjardins had a better points percentage during his tenure with nowhere near the talent to work with.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

I selected sneak into playoffs/wildcard/etc.
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:55 pm Yeah too many tryouts right till the last preseason game and no chance to build chemistry like other teams have been doing. Did TG really need the entire preseason to agonize over which scrubs to retain?
Road trip means they won't have a hot start and will be anxious to get back home for some practice time.
THIS ^^^ Even with the surprise absences of Sutter and Hamonic, whose positions unexpectedly needed filling, the team should have been focused on playing more veteran lineups. I count eleven new bodies on the current depth chart (several of which are intended to be key cogs) and you can also factor in the Alien missing most of last year. I can't understand why the club didn't take, at the minimum, the last few pre-season games to develop, at the very least, some familiarity if not outright chemistry. But instead the Nucks seemed almost entirely focused on which scrub will beat out the other for 4th line minutes. In the end, none really distinguished themselves. They could have chucked darts at a roster with similar results. I don't know if he commented yet, but to coin a Doyle phrase, that bottom six still looks pretty scabby - although the roster is missing Boeser at the moment. The D, in its totality, is questionable. I think they are in for a rough first 20 games, especially with that big road trip to start. Aqualini and/or Benning will get an itchy trigger finger and Green will be gone by game 25. I can then see a turnaround and a run into a very narrow wildcard or 3rd place finish from there.
Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:33 am This team is still is too soft to dominate in my opinion. They need more grit from their top players and I don't see it with this core yet.
I predict a bubble team unless they can add more sandpaper that plays in their top 2 lines and top 4 D
This team will continue to get pushed around with no response this year. Calgary and Seattle will frustrate.

I hate to say it but I think Edmonton will surprise a lot of people around here. It wouldn't surprise me to see them challenge LVK. I see a Toronto type season where they simply outscore their issues and then get bounced early in the playoffs because their lineup shortcomings become cataclysmic in playoff type hockey. Actually on a quick search while I was writing, a solid EDM season looks like a pretty widely held belief. Calgary will probably hang around all year as well by playing that gross Sutter hockey which will enable a Markstrom rebound.

Some other random predictions:
  • Poolman will surprise and more than earn his contract.
  • Like the pre-season, Pods will continue show flashes of promise but will ultimately underperform to fans expectations. It's not outlandish to think he puts in time in Abby this season.
  • Garland will prove to be beauty pickup and more than worth the 1st rounder. OEL's play will prove to be delicious icing on the cake evaporating most fears about his contract. Especially when one realizes it's only costing 1M more than Edler was last year.
  • JT will not return to the quality of play he showed in his inaugural Canucks season, will continue to pitch hissy fits on the ice, and will be the first player casualty if the team struggles beyond my predicted first twenty games.
I hope by putting these (negative) thoughts into reality, I am dead wrong and the team launches from the gate and never looks back all year long.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The bullshit extended tryouts in training camp with the delayed starting lineup means another slow start.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Exactly. This is a make or break season for the GM and coach.

The tryouts should be taking place in Abby. Ship 'em all down and let Trent Cull the herd for you.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 am
ESQ wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:35 am Clearly the pressure is on, given how much posters are tearing their hair out over the preseason games :lol:

I see a team improved in every respect, and pissed off after getting fucked more than any team in sports last year.
Well that explains the pre-season results. All pissed off and raring to take it out on anyone in another jersey.

Oh wait..... :roll:

I see a team led by a captain who doesn't like to see people be offended and is very PC.....this team won't play angry.
Sorry if this wasn't clear, I'm back at the stage of not caring about preseason results.

Speaking of putting everything on the preseason results, did the leaves take the preseason cup again this year?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:32 pm Exactly. This is a make or break season for the GM and coach.

The tryouts should be taking place in Abby. Ship 'em all down and let Trent Cull the herd for you.
Especially considering it's only 90 minutes for Green to take a drive out to Abbotsford and take in some action first-hand. With farm team in such close proximity there is much less need to go by another coach's assessment or just some game video.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Gadzooks! Coach Green confounds us all.

Remember Torts used to commute from Point Roberts, USA everyday to coach here? That's like, a completely different country.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 am

I don't think those deficiencies are crucial in the regular season, but they are in the playoffs. That's why I predicted win one round. After that, in addition to likely facing a better team in round 2, they'll likely be too banged up to be much of a threat.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:58 pm

Some other random predictions:
  • Poolman will surprise and more than earn his contract.
  • Like the pre-season, Pods will continue show flashes of promise but will ultimately underperform to fans expectations. It's not outlandish to think he puts in time in Abby this season.
  • Garland will prove to be beauty pickup and more than worth the 1st rounder. OEL's play will prove to be delicious icing on the cake evaporating most fears about his contract. Especially when one realizes it's only costing 1M more than Edler was last year.
  • JT will not return to the quality of play he showed in his inaugural Canucks season, will continue to pitch hissy fits on the ice, and will be the first player casualty if the team struggles beyond my predicted first twenty games.
I hope by putting these (negative) thoughts into reality, I am dead wrong and the team launches from the gate and never looks back all year long.
Poolman and OEL looked really good in the pre-season, especially OEL, and if they can even play up to their contracts while remaining healthy, the Canucks should be thrilled. They'll really miss Hamonic though, and the difference between him and a Schenn/Burroughs suiting up every game will take it's toll eventually. They're a Poolman injury away from running Myers, Schenn, and Burroughs down the right side and while they're all good guys and great teammates, that could pose real problems.

I agree with your Miller comment and if that's the case, I'm hoping for a 1-1 deal with a solid RHD coming the Canucks way, no prospects or picks.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:53 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:32 pm Exactly. This is a make or break season for the GM and coach.

Especially considering it's only 90 minutes for Green to take a drive out to Abbotsford and take in some action first-hand. With farm team in such close proximity there is much less need to go by another coach's assessment or just some game video.
I don't have a problem with Green's pre-season. He had a lot of guys to sort through, and assess. You can't watch a 4th liner playing with some AHL scrubs and really assess how he'll play with the big team. The pre-season we an opportunity to see if guys like Petan can be fill-ins on the top lines, and which of the plugs will be call-ups for injuries. The pre-season is the right time to see if there is chemistry, and which of the new blood gets the system and who just doesn't fit into the system either.

With so much turn-over in our bottom 6 and defence, you just can't start gifting spots to new guys. They have to earn them, and the coaches have to figure out where to slot them in.

But, enough. Drop the Puck !!!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!