2021-22 Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How will Canucks do this year?

Shit the bed / great draft pick.
6%
Out of the playoffs
10%
Make the playoffs / slip in / late wild card
23%
Solid team the makes the playoffs
13%
Wins 1 round
29%
Wins 2 rounds
6%
Wins the West
3%
Goes. All. The. Way.
10%

Total votes: 31

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2021-22 Predictions

Post by Cherry Picker »

Mr. Imperfect has a very poor memory.

Sea of Granlunds:

Sutter @4m
Roussel
Beagle
Loui
Vesey
Virtanen
Graovac
Boyd
Hawryluk
Highmore
Lind
Michaelis

Current very small puddle of Granlunds?:

Sutter @1.125 LTIR
Chiasson 0.75m - filling in for Boeser - probably 4th line when Boeser and Motte return
Dowling 0.75m - 13th forward when Motte and Boeser return, to Abby if Sutter recovers,too.
Has looked better than expected, but misused by Green on PP.
Petan 0.75m - to Abby when Motte returns?
Highmore 0.725m - to Abby when Boeser returns?

Looks like a few fill ins for injuries to everyone except Mr. Imperfect.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:30 am Mr. Imperfect has a very poor memory.

Sea of Granlunds:

Sutter @4m
Roussel
Beagle
Loui
Vesey
Virtanen
Graovac
Boyd
Hawryluk
Highmore
Lind
Michaelis

Current very small puddle of Granlunds?:

Sutter @1.125 LTIR
Chiasson 0.75m - filling in for Boeser - probably 4th line when Boeser and Motte return
Dowling 0.75m - 13th forward when Motte and Boeser return, to Abby if Sutter recovers,too.
Has looked better than expected, but misused by Green on PP.
Petan 0.75m - to Abby when Motte returns?
Highmore 0.725m - to Abby when Boeser returns?

Looks like a few fill ins for injuries to everyone except Mr. Imperfect.
There's a saying that a man may not try to understand a position because it doesn't fit his narrative. I give you Nit Picker.

Marcus Granlund was a not very big, not very fast forward who couldn't win face-offs so he was played on the wing. He had been a prospect during Weisbrod's time in Calgary so Weisbrod convinced JB to trade for him. He had two weeks with the Sedins and scored goals with them, then he went back to being less than mediocre. He didn't kill penalties very well, wasn't particularly good defensively, wasn't a physical player and averaged 25 points per season in his seven seasons in the NHL and was out of the league by age 27.

None of Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, Virtanen were ever Granlund. Age and injury caught up to Beagle and Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson and Virtanen were disappointing in their performances with the Canucks but all of them were legitimate NHLers at one time or another.

Vesey, Graovac, Boyd, Hawryluk, Highmore, Lind, Michaelis weren't on the opening roster last season. They got on the roster because of covid-19 and injury. This season Dowling and Highmore started the season and the annual injury bug hasn't hit yet. Nit Picker sees nothing wrong with this scenario because there will be no injuries, I guess.

You keep saying, "When Motte comes back." Motte is suffering from a concussion from six months ago. The effects of that concussion are still lingering. Answer this Nit Picker, when is Motte coming back?
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Motte will be back when he’s ready. Last I heard he wasn’t too far away. I have no information about a concussion. Upper body injury could be that, but the last I heard he was recovering from surgery in the summer?

Your definition is more restrictive than mine. The sea of Granlund’s were replacement level forwards. Your definition would be a small lake or pond of Granlunds.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:12 pm Motte will be back when he’s ready. Last I heard he wasn’t too far away. I have no information about a concussion. Upper body injury could be that, but the last I heard he was recovering from surgery in the summer?
Motte himself said in the summer that he hasn't experienced any concussion symptoms since April.

(he said he did have some lingering covid symptoms for a while though)

It's been reported by numerous sources that he had an "upper body" surgery this summer and that is why he's been out.

I've heard he's progressing nicely and I think they expect him back by the end of this road trip.

Notice Motter went on IR not LTIR, they expect him back soon.

Boeser is obviously very close to returning.

Those two returning will bump a coupla granlunds...

Sutts is out long-term for sure, but I like his replacement so far (Lammikko).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Changing one of my season predictions: Green will technically be gone by game 25 as I wrote, but to be more accurate I would like to revise it to say by game 20. In fact I am almost confident enough to say hes gone after they lose to vegas in game 15. Theres no way Aquabro lets this go with so many teams in front of them in the Pacific, the majority of which win each night.
No great revelation that Benning gets shitcanned if there's not a quick and immediate turnaround. If they're outside of the playoff picture i cant see ownership permitting him to do god only knows what at the deadline as a dead man walking.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Can I change mine to Shit the bed, great draft pick?

Some real serious problems in that dressing room, and management.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

They're only 5 points back of the last wildcard spot, with 68 games to go.

(hic)
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:54 pm They're only 5 points back of the last wildcard spot, with 68 games to go.

(hic)
That's probably what benning is trying to sell to the bosses right now. It's not necessarily the points back hut how many teams you have to try to leapfrog to get there. Not to mention the three teams behind them breathing down their necks with games in hand. And have they honestly shown you anything, anything at all, in 14 games that gives you even the remotest feeling they can turn this around anytime soon? For some reason they cant seem to score save to desperately crack a shutout late in a game. Their special teams are the worst I can recall in 40+ years of fandom. Three of their 5 wins have come from the likes of seattle, chicago and dallas for chrissakes.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:54 pm They're only 5 points back of the last wildcard spot, with 68 games to go.

(hic)
That's probably what benning is trying to sell to the bosses right now. It's not necessarily the points back hut how many teams you have to try to leapfrog to get there. Not to mention the three teams behind them breathing down their necks with games in hand. And have they honestly shown you anything, anything at all, in 14 games that gives you even the remotest feeling they can turn this around anytime soon? For some reason they cant seem to score save to desperately crack a shutout late in a game. Their special teams are the worst I can recall in 40+ years of fandom. Three of their 5 wins have come from the likes of seattle, chicago and dallas for chrissakes.
This sums it up. There have been very brief flashes of what could be but by and large it's all been a colossal failure to date.

It's a poorly coached, devoid of grit collection of small skilled players that have shown almost zero fight. They play like they want Green gone
If you need air...call it in
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm And have they honestly shown you anything, anything at all, in 14 games that gives you even the remotest feeling they can turn this around anytime soon?
Doc's magic elixir has me seein' all kinds of things, whether the Canucks show them to me or not. So far, I think the invisible pink unicorns are my favourite, but the Canucks winning the Cup in '22 is awfully nice, too.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:01 pm They play like they want Green gone
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:22 pm
Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm And have they honestly shown you anything, anything at all, in 14 games that gives you even the remotest feeling they can turn this around anytime soon?
Doc's magic elixir has me seein' all kinds of things, whether the Canucks show them to me or not. So far, I think the invisible pink unicorns are my favourite, but the Canucks winning the Cup in '22 is awfully nice, too.
We were all drinking the elixir hoping the team would progress, JB did a good job on picking up some scoring and the OEL trade has so far turned out pretty good but there was a lot of questions. Going into the season with basically the same coaching staff was the biggest question. Could TG and group change and come up with a better game plan.

Well 14 games in and the answer seems to be no. My other question was on the PK and who would be on it. So far Dickinson seems not to be working out. Sutter - why would have even entered in JB mind, even if he was free, to rely on a guy that is injured every season in a critical role is ridiculous.

JB must have had a back up plan for the past couple weeks, he cant just wake up and look at the standings and think, hmmmm, something is wrong here. He must be chatting with his group and already have a list of candidates in mind and it cannot be one of the assistant coaches.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

2Fingers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:15 am
We were all drinking the elixir hoping the team would progress...
This is my first couple of months on it, which might be why the effects are so intense. I hope your negative comments don't suggest that efficacy fades as one builds up a tolerance. I'm sure no one here wants to read posts on my old themes.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:06 pm I'm sure no one here wants to read posts on my old themes.
Well, you could check with Mick but my guess would be the mere activity of posting doesn't necessarily equate to reaching a substantive audience.

So you may be safe regardless.
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm And have they honestly shown you anything, anything at all, in 14 games that gives you even the remotest feeling they can turn this around anytime soon? For some reason they cant seem to score save to desperately crack a shutout late in a game. Their special teams are the worst I can recall in 40+ years of fandom. Three of their 5 wins have come from the likes of seattle, chicago and dallas for chrissakes.
Sure, two of their best offensive forwards have been invisible, while the team has lost six games by one goal.

Petey is rounding in to form, and given his crucial role in the pp he is one person who can single handedly turn around that special team.

It does seem the players want green gone, and once that happens I think they are very primed to flip the switch. It's a good team, just currently under performing.

Meanwhile, we still aren't are the point of the year where over-achieving teams (Calgary, buffalo, San Jose, etc) return to earth. So it's not at an impossible point to turn around the season, not by a long shot.