When do Petey and Quinn get signed? (poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will they be signed?

Sept 21
No votes
Sept 22
12%
During Camp
24%
After Camp
8%
After Pre-Season starts
36%
After Season starts
20%

Total votes: 25

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: When do Petey and Quinn get signed? (poll)

Post by Carl Yagro »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:51 pm Great deals, Jet Black strikes again!
The agents went all in with their pocket aces. But Jim played methodically and beat them on the river.

Well done, Jet Black. Well done.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:35 pm
theman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:22 pm I like the Pettersson number, a bit high IMO for Hughes but getting both signed before the season begins is huge and they are not horrible contracts either.
..high now, a helluva deal in 2 years?
Considering the comparables, the Hughes deal is very good
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

IMO Hughes is too high by 3/4 of a million, and Petey’s is pretty bang on relative to Barzal. I figure Hughes should get 8m x 8, 7.5m x 7, and 7m x 6 , so a bit overpaid in my book, but he is best friends with Brady Tkachuk, so he had them on his side more than Petey did. Obviously the Tkachuks made all the difference. :)
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ya gotta love those voting in the poll after they signed today
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:06 pm Obviously the Tkachuks made all the difference. :)
Shameless Blob-baiting! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:28 pm Real nice to know the team's still free of an 8m+ contract, which easily could've been the case when you consider some of the comparables out there above 9.

Not that we're completely free of any anchor-type tickets with OEL and Myers, but as long they contribute something, unlike the overpaid stiffs we extracted this summer, I can live with it. And far more manageable now with these signings once official.

Barring any crazy trades or UFA signings, or Brock explodes with a 100 point season, we should remain sub 8 until 2024. Nice.
+1
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:08 pm Ya gotta love those voting in the poll after they signed today
I waited until today. Hehehehe
The only HW the Canucks need
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:41 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:08 pm Ya gotta love those voting in the poll after they signed today
I waited until today. Hehehehe
Bold move
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Buying a UFA year costs. We bought one UFA year from Hughes. That drives up the cap hit. We probably could have had him for 5 years at 7.3. This is common. I like its a six year deal. 7-8 would have cots us way more, try 9 million.

Benning held firm and he had two players who obviously weren't going to go to Sweden and sulk. It takes two to get er done and they want to be here.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Both are solid deals. Elmo seems to have figured out signing the RFA contracts. Hughes’s deal and s the same term as Cale Makar’s, but 1.2 million cheaper. Makes sense as Makar is the better player. Petey’s deal is similar to Matt Barzal’s which is a great comparable.

Good job Mr Elmer!

I wonder how the Tkachuks feel about these contracts.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don’t there’s been a better GM in the NHL than Jim Benning since 2017. The stuff he is doing is nothing short of extraordinary.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm I don’t there’s been a better GM in the NHL than Jim Benning since 2017. The stuff he is doing is nothing short of extraordinary.
Where have you been, slacker?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Any bickering over Hughes' numbers are laughable. We got the kid for half a dozen years under 8, take that shit and run man. Especially when you compare it with OEL and Myer's tickets, whose best years are likely behind them at this point. Hughes is only getting started, we haven't even come close to seeing his best yet.

What I love most about the deal is how with all the noise about Vancouver media and Twitterverse being a toxic environment, a notion somewhat hit home recently with brother Jack's comments, our boy says that shit don't scare me none, I'm sticking around for awhile. Gotta love it, these are the type of character kids I tend and we all should get behind over picking out their flaws.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm I don’t there’s been a better GM in the NHL than Jim Benning since 2017. The stuff he is doing is nothing short of extraordinary.
I think you need to lay off the rock.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:20 pm Both are solid deals. Elmo seems to have figured out signing the RFA contracts. Hughes’s deal and s the same term as Cale Makar’s, but 1.2 million cheaper. Makes sense as Makar is the better player. Petey’s deal is similar to Matt Barzal’s which is a great comparable.

Good job Mr Elmer!

I wonder how the Tkachuks feel about these contracts.
Wow, if Vin Tanner is comparing Benning favorably to a Sakic move, you know it's gotta be good!