Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2021/22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2021/22

Post by Per »

CONTINUED FROM http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... &start=270

The puck drops in the SHL on Saturday.

News this season is that rules will now be more or less identical to NHL rules as a result of the NHL and IIHF sitting down about a year ago and deciding to harmonize the differences that have existed in their respective rule books.

I welcome this as ot will facilitate the transfer between NHL and European play. The only NHL rule I gave a problem with is the lines that restrict where the goalie is allowed to play the puck behind the goal. That’s just stupid.
Rink size will still differ of course, so that’s still a factor, but it’s great that the hockey community finally has managed to agree on a common set of rules.

Swedish hockey will not implement coaches’ challenge though, as most rinks lack a dedicated blue line camera, so some situations will be hard to evaluate properly. But other than that the rules should now be the same.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2021/22

Post by ESQ »

With the state of Canucks prospects in Europe, literally all I care about is Bjorkloven getting promoted
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So... Five Canuck prospects playing in Sweden this season, if I'm not mistaken.

Two in the SHL:
Linus Karlsson (C/RW) playing for Skellefteå AIK
Arvid Costmar (C) playing for Linköping HC

One in Hockeyallsvenskan (aka the SHA):
Hugo Gabrielsson (D) playing for Västerviks IK

Two playing Junior:
Jonathan Myrenberg (D) playing for Linköping HC J20
Lucas Forsell (LW) playing for Färjestad BK J20

The SHL started on Saturday, and Linus and Arvid scored one goal each as Skellefteå beat Djurgården 5-2 and Linköping lost to Luleå 5-2.

Hockeyallsvenskan doesn't start till the 24th, but the junior league has already started. Myrenberg has one goal and 2 PIM in two games whereas Forsell has had one assist and 8 PIM, also in 2 games.

Too early to say much, but all four prospects that have played games have already ended up in the score sheet, so pretty decent effort thus far, imho. :mex:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Didnt Linus Karlsson resign long term in Sweden and likely never plays for Vancouver?
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:12 am Didnt Linus Karlsson resign long term in Sweden and likely never plays for Vancouver?
Pretty sure he can still come to the Canucks at some point. https://www.capfriendly.com/players/linus-karlsson ..I don't see that he's tied up long term in Sweden.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:12 am Didnt Linus Karlsson resign long term in Sweden and likely never plays for Vancouver?
Unlike the KHL, SHL contracts normally include an out clause that allows players to leave for the NHL. They cannot do it mid season, but there is a window every summer when they can break the contract to cross the Atlantic.

And besides... his contract with Skellefteå is only for two seasons and expires after the 22/23 season.
Last edited by Per on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:37 pm
Unlike the KHL, SHL contracts normally include an out clause that allows players to leave for the NHL. They cannot do it mid season, but there is a window every summer when they can break the contract to cross the Atlantic.

And besides... his contract with Skelefteå is only for two seasons and expires after the 22/23 season.
Do you watch him enough to have an opinion as to whether he might ever be good enough to play in the NHL? Could he be a 3rd or 4th line center?
Hono_rary Canadian
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 pm
Per wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:37 pm

And besides... his contract with Skelefteå is only for two seasons and expires after the 22/23 season.
Do you watch him enough to have an opinion as to whether he might ever be good enough to play in the NHL? Could he be a 3rd or 4th line center?
He looked really good playing in Karlskoga in the second tier league. It was a logical step to now opt for the SHL, and if he does well on that level he should be ready for the NHL.

The problem is that he chose to play for Skellefteå. You really cannot ask of me to watch their games.... :crazy:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I was under the impression this latest contract he signed in the SHL extends until Van loses his rights...or some shit like that.

I dunno, I'm probably wrong about it somehow
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 pm I was under the impression this latest contract he signed in the SHL extends until Van loses his rights...or some shit like that.

I assume people confuse KHL and SHL rules. Players are not allowed to break KHL contracts, but SHL contracts have an NHL clause that allows the player to opt out during the off season, but only to sign with an NHL team.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Djurgården vs Skellefteå, 2-5, last Saturday.
Linus Karlsson scored Skellefteå’s 4th goal.

Last edited by Per on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Luleå vs Linköping, 5-2, also last Saturday.
Costmar scores Linköping’s first goal, tying at 1-1.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 pm I was under the impression this latest contract he signed in the SHL extends until Van loses his rights...or some shit like that.

Yeah if he's not signed by us within 4 years (by August 15) of his draft year he becomes a UFA.

But as Per says he has an opt-out next year.

If he has another great season, Jimmy will of course sign him at that point...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:12 pm

Yeah if he's not signed by us within 4 years (by August 15) of his draft year he becomes a UFA.

But as Per says he has an opt-out next year.

If he has another great season, Jimmy will of course sign him at that point...
Since the time the NHL teams have to sign prospects was shortened you now sometimes see NHL teams sign a Swedish prospect, have him over for camp and then lend him back to the team he has a Swedish contract with for a season or two. That way they maintain their rights without bringing them into the system at once. Of course, it comes with a cost, but it’s peanuts for an NHL team, and the player won’t even count against the cap.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

That's true Per, if Linus has another great season, Jimmy will sign him

... and either bring him to North America or loan him back to a Swedish team.
____
Try to focus on someday.