Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 pm Everytime Gilman speaks I want to puke in my toilet on top of my shit. Can’t stand the car salesman. He’s like Tom Rennie 2.0 but worse
I can see a Jim Bejing speech resonating more with a guy like yourself :mex:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Well, what do you know, it only took the firing of a coach to make me excited about Canuck hockey again. I have wanted green gone for a couple years. Nothing ever seemed to change in his approach to the game, or in game adjustments seemed non existent. I hated listening to him in his media talks. I get that the media asks stupid questions, but it’s part of the job. He never said anything real, and seemed like it was beneath his station to even be there. So condescending. I also think Benning was doomed the first time he opened his mouth when he first arrived. He talked like a fourth grader giving a presentation. He got somewhat better over the years, but crap, he was bad. Saying that, I loved his drafting record, aside from virtanen and possibly joulevi. Signed some great contracts and also some stinkers.
What a refreshing difference Boudreau is. Seems like he enjoys the pressers. We’ll see if that continues. Last nights game was a pleasure to watch, hope the up tempo continues.
Looking forward to tomorrow nights game, and I haven’t said that for awhile.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:43 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 pm Everytime Gilman speaks I want to puke in my toilet on top of my shit. Can’t stand the car salesman. He’s like Tom Rennie 2.0 but worse
I can see a Jim Bejing speech resonating more with a guy like yourself :mex:
^^
SLAMMED! Too funny. Touche.
cc oldtimer
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/laurenc ... KST1Ptlp1o

Media reporting on a potential Gilman/MG combo here once again. I liked Gilman back in the day and was disappointed JB canned him. He was great at managing the cap and he may have strongly advised JB and/or Mr. A NOT to sign Eriksson. At least not for that term.

I think one of JB's mistakes may have been firing Gilman and/or Lorne Henning back in 2015. When u r in upper mgmt, it's good to have ppl who will look at things differently, be confident in offering their opinions and challenge your perspective on things. JB then brought in Weisbrod who was a buddy and basically a "yes man" to him, so there was really no one around to help him look at things from a different standpoint. What's that proverb? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

JB's first year here was great, offseason additions of Ryan Miller and Radim Vrbata paid off big time and the team exceeded expectations. After that season, the team went down the toilet and took 5 years to make the playoffs again. Of course, we all know what happened after the bubble when the team showed so much promise (1 game to make conference finals). It was not supposed to go this way. JB may be a genius in scouting and drafting, but he was far from it from a mgmt position and could have used all the help he could get.

Loosing Trev hurt JB and Mr A as well. Sure, Trev didn't know much about running a hockey club, but the fans and media luved him, so he was a great PR guy. When things were looking bleak, they could have just sent Trev out there to soothe the mob. Trev was great in front of the camera, JB not so much. If Trev went out there and said me and JB are looking at everything to get this club back in the right direction -- instead of JB -- I doubt the fans would have been chanting "Fire Benning". I guess you reap what you sow. I know Trev is a Canuck at heart and wants to see the team succeed, but somehow I think he's doing the fist pump and happy dance right now.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd, do you know how you know when Sekeres and Price and Dreger are making shit up? Their lips are moving.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

sk8er wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 pm Well, what do you know, it only took the firing of a coach to make me excited about Canuck hockey again. I have wanted green gone for a couple years. Nothing ever seemed to change in his approach to the game, or in game adjustments seemed non existent. I hated listening to him in his media talks. I get that the media asks stupid questions, but it’s part of the job. He never said anything real, and seemed like it was beneath his station to even be there. So condescending. I also think Benning was doomed the first time he opened his mouth when he first arrived. He talked like a fourth grader giving a presentation. He got somewhat better over the years, but crap, he was bad. Saying that, I loved his drafting record, aside from virtanen and possibly joulevi. Signed some great contracts and also some stinkers.
What a refreshing difference Boudreau is. Seems like he enjoys the pressers. We’ll see if that continues. Last nights game was a pleasure to watch, hope the up tempo continues.
Looking forward to tomorrow nights game, and I haven’t said that for awhile.
I agree with most of this. Except the part about Benning's draft record. He had some wins (Boeser, Hoglander, Demko) but way too many misses (Virtanen, Juolevi). Instead of Virtanen he could have had McAvoy or Sergachev...players who would be leading us today. He had 7 years to draft and develop a solid D man to replace Tanev and Edler and couldn't do it. Same with a home grown penalty killer or a R handed centre. And why he traded away so many picks I'll never understand.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:46 am
I liked Gilman back in the day and was disappointed JB canned him. He was great at managing the cap and he may have strongly advised JB and/or Mr. A NOT to sign Eriksson. At least not for that term.
Be sure to clean Mr. Gilman’s shirt when your finished polishing his knob, and you should make him a sandwich. :D

I can handle a little 20/20 hindsight from some posters, but 8 year old knob polishing and mind reading is tough to handle.. that’s a Ghomer style of ‘I remember what that guy could have been thinking 5 years ago’ kind of comment. Your better than that.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gilman has been integral in helping Toronto lose in the first round of the playoffs 5 years in a row with three $11 million contracts on the cap

#presidentstrophy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Zedlee wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:59 am

I agree with most of this. Except the part about Benning's draft record. He had some wins (Boeser, Hoglander, Demko) but way too many misses (Virtanen, Juolevi). Instead of Virtanen he could have had McAvoy or Sergachev...players who would be leading us today. He had 7 years to draft and develop a solid D man to replace Tanev and Edler and couldn't do it. Same with a home grown penalty killer or a R handed centre. And why he traded away so many picks I'll never understand.
+1 good post
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Compared to any other Canucks GM, Benning was the best at drafting. I'm not sure if that is saying much, but it's something.

Criticism of his FA signings has legitimacy, trade criticism as well to a lesser extent; but, anyone looking at the different Canuck draft records can see he was not nearly as terrible as some here make out, especially considering the Canucks lost every lottery. Yes there are hits and misses, but overall not a bad job drafting at all.

https://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008756.html
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:57 am Compared to any other Canucks GM, Benning was the best at drafting. I'm not sure if that is saying much, but it's something.

Criticism of his FA signings has legitimacy, trade criticism as well to a lesser extent; but, anyone looking at the different Canuck draft records can see he was not nearly as terrible as some here make out, especially considering the Canucks lost every lottery. Yes there are hits and misses, but overall not a bad job drafting at all.

https://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008756.html
Always will be curious regarding the 2016 draft. The Olli Juolevi selection. Word has always been, "That year we drafted for position", meaning defense. This must be the reason why other players / player, ranked closely, were not interviewed, which is generally the norm.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Finally had a chance to watch the Bruce 1st presser after his first morning skate. LOL He's a vet.

He came across as the presses best buddy and they lapped up every last drop of peanut butter. The media here is a joke.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:01 am Be sure to clean Mr. Gilman’s shirt when your finished polishing his knob, and you should make him a sandwich. :D
Gross!
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:46 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:01 am Be sure to clean Mr. Gilman’s shirt when your finished polishing his knob, and you should make him a sandwich. :D
Gross!
Hush Gomes. The adults are talking.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:46 am https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/laurenc ... KST1Ptlp1o

Media reporting on a potential Gilman/MG combo here once again. I liked Gilman back in the day and was disappointed JB canned him. He was great at managing the cap and he may have strongly advised JB and/or Mr. A NOT to sign Eriksson. At least not for that term.
Yeahno, they suck and they're never coming back, stop reading DailyHive lol...

"Gilman may have strongly advised JB and/or Mr. A NOT to sign Eriksson" LMAO
____
Try to focus on someday.