Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I know this is a bit earlier than I would normally start this thread, but this is potentially one of the biggest offseasons we have had in a while, and it will impact the team for the duration of the core if not handled correctly.

Last season was not the season fans or the team were looking for. Several factors (injuries, depth, schedule, Covid) all contributed to this teams worst finish in the standings in a few years.

That said, I don't think this team is as bad as it showed in the standings, and we have a lot of good core pieces in place.

To me, the most important part of this offseason will not to cave to media (perhaps ownership) pressure and to make a big splash. It should be about steady forward progress of clearing bad contracts, and getting the core resigned. Last year, I started the thread by saying:
JB needs to be building the team for 2 years from now.
We have not a lot of cap space, and a lot of players will be on the move.
and I stand by that. Now the clock is set to tick on the second year, need more players to move, and keep clearing out the contracts

Out from last year: Vesey, Boyd, Virtanen (Possibly?), Benn. Just walk away from this bucket of bolts. There will be lots of spare parts laying around still a month after Free Agency opens, no need to overpay for anything. Erickson is still in a category all to his own, reserved for those special players that should be treated like treasures and buried. Literally. I don't mean the minors.. if he doesn't retire or fail the physical, put him in a hole, and fill the hole with dirt.. If Virtanen can get ahead of his personal issues, I would give him 20 games to see if he has matured from this little life experience of his.. unless he is guilty. If he is guilty, then bury him beside Louise.

The lineup coming back:
Miller (5.25) - Petey (RFA)- Boesser (5.8)
Pearson (3.25) - Horvat (5.5) - Hoglander (.89)
Podkolzin (hopefully makes team!!@.9) - <need a player> - <Need a player ?>
Motte (1.25)- Beagle (hope to upgrade 3.0) - MacEwen (.825)
Highmore (.725)

Hughes (RFA) - Schmidt (5.9)
Juolevi - Myers (6.0)
<Edler or Hamonic (2.0)> - <need player>
Rathbone (.925)

Demko (5.0)
Holtby (4.3)

Podkolzin has been reported to be NHL ready, so looks like a third line spot is his to lose. Everyone knows I don't believe in 'gifting' a spot to a player, but with the lack of depth, he has to mess up training camp bad to not make the team. Joulevi needs to spend this offseason learning how to pivot, or we are looking for a 2nd pairing defenceman.

With the Expansion Draft, we are looking at losing a player who would cost us only a roster spot and cap space, of which we need to free up both. The expansion draft can do nothing but good for us, as this team is not deep enough to lose anything of value, and any asset they choose will have a cap space moving with it. The ONLY way to fuck this up is to make a big splash trade prior to expansion and then having to expose an asset, or give away a different asset to get protection on it With the lack of depth, we can't afford to give 2 assets to improve one. We need to sit tight until after Xdraft day.

RFA's: (other than Hughes and Petey)
Hawyrluk - I am torn on this. a short term contract, for less than a millon. If it doesnt work, trade at TDD for a bag of pucks
Michaleis - Walk away. Cut him loose. Our 4th line is already full

UFA's:
Edler - I would take him back at anything less than 2M (plus incentives), on a one year contract. Resign (if he wants) after Xdraft
Hamonic - If Hamonic wants to resign for 2m or less again, all for it. Otherwise He can walk
Chatfield - He can walk. If he signs, its only to play in Utica.. But I prefer he walks so there is no confusion amongst media and fans as to his role.
Sutter - If Sutter wants to come back for 2.5M or less, he can, only if Beagle is taken in Xdraft or traded. Cant have both on this team
Graovac - I would resign on a one way contract at less than a million for 1-2 years. good size and speed, plays Center. could work for 4th line.
Bailey - if he wants to sign a 2 way contract, sure. He can play for Utica. If he walks, I am ok with that as I dont want media and fans confused.

If we are looking at players outside the organization to fill roles and needs, we are really just looking for a hard hitting 5-6 defenseman who can skate, and a third line center, third line winger. We will also have to replace whomever we lose in the expansion draft. We also need number 13 and 14 forward and a number 8 defenseman who can slot in for injuries. We don't have the organizational depth for injury call ups. These players should be able to be found after free agency, be defensively responsible, PK, Hit and skate. This teams bottom 6 needs to be harder to play against, and we lack depth. Its a simple as that.

On the Farm, there is no surefire prospects in the system, except for Dipetro. If we need a goalie, we have one. If we call him up, we need a career minor leaguer to fill in. I think a year (or perhaps a 1/2 year, depending on development) of starting full time in the minors would be good for Mikey, and if we don't lose Holtby in the Xdraft, he will get his games down there and be ready for full time backup in 2022.

Lind - had a look last season. Needs a good camp to have a shot. Could fight for 4th line spot and push up Motte to the third line
Gadjovich - needs another year of development. could work as a short term injury call up for MacEwen. Still needs improvement.
Woo - needs more seasoning. Wont make the team, but could develop for a shot next year.
Lockwood - is interesting. If he has an incredible Camp, Might try and make the team out of camp. doubtful, I don't see him making a huge leap.
Rafferty - this is his last camp to impress, if he doesn't make the leap this year, he is trade bait for a 7th round pick.
Jurmo - I have not seen him play, so I have no opinion. I am sure others here will comment.

All in all, if the team gets lucky with injuries, and picks up the new defensive systems quickly, they will challenge for playoffs as the Pacific division is weaker than the French army in 1939. If the injury bug strikes again, we don't have the depth to survive any prolonged suffering, especially if its the top 6 forwards or top 3 defense..

we need to have a good draft, not get blitzed in free agency (getting 2-3 depth guys to add to team would be ok), not do any crazy signings or trades (just say NO to OEL!) and ride out the rest of Luongo and the bad contracts. 2022, we can have a serious look at addressing organizational needs.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Great start to the new year man. Excellent analysis and i agree pretty well everywhere.

In my wish list... i would like to see a top 6 forward added right after adding a top 4 RHD, Savard is the perfect fit.

Both of these additions will likely and should be added next summer though. Adding them now will fuck with shit and make it suck for next summer.

Unfortunately our ownership has zero patience and will fuck shit up but hey, we will have more hope faster, right?

Right?

:look:
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Great post MCP.
Yah, there's work to be done. Can't do everything this year but the bottom six needs help right now. Curious on the usage of buyouts and if we will see it.
Not with our first round pick but we probably should entertain the idea of another goaltender in the system.

We know just the arrival of Brad Shaw will alter and hopefully improve the system we have been going with, in particular, breaking out of our own end and transitioning to offense.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I hope the Sedins are brought in occasionally to show these guys how to make passes, enter the zone and keep possession (it is 9/10s of the law, y'know) so they do as little rope-a-doping and transitioning as possible.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:46 pm I hope the Sedins are brought in occasionally to show these guys how to make passes, enter the zone and keep possession (it is 9/10s of the law, y'know) so they do as little rope-a-doping and transitioning as possible.
Apparently they will be "Special Advisors to the GM" - maybe teach him how to make trades without giving away picks, and enter negotiations with future in view, as well as the now... and maybe even rope-a-dope a couple FAs to signing for below market value.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/sedins ... -325429912
Sedins Named Special Advisors to General Manager... and will join the Hockey Operations Department.
by Canucks Communications @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks
12:30 PM
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will join the Hockey Operations department as Special Advisors to the General Manager.

Daniel and Henrik's combined experience as players and team leaders will complement the Canucks Hockey Operations staff and ultimately support General Manager Jim Benning and Assistant General Managers John Weisbrod and Chris Gear in decision-making and organizational strategy.

The Sedins will learn and support all areas of the team's hockey operations including player evaluation, development and communication from the amateur to NHL level. They will work collaboratively with Abbotsford's AHL staff and coaches, participate in amateur and pro scouting meetings and participate in planning for the Draft, Free Agency and trade deadline.
^^^^
More...... Not to mention the Big new Banner for the occasion The presser comes tomorrow .
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

MCP, if Juolevi is on our second pairing, we're in deep shit.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Who took those photos? Hank looks stoned and Daniel is like, "Um, what?"
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:46 pm I hope the Sedins are brought in occasionally to show these guys how to make passes, enter the zone and keep possession (it is 9/10s of the law, y'know) so they do as little rope-a-doping and transitioning as possible.
Apparently they will be "Special Advisors to the GM" - maybe teach him how to make trades without giving away picks, and enter negotiations with future in view, as well as the now... and maybe even rope-a-dope a couple FAs to signing for below market value.
Trade conference call with GM from unidentified team...

JB: Ok, we got a deal then? We get X and a scrub. You guys get our top prospect, a 2nd & 3rd without retaining any salary or anything else.

GM: Yes (haha! sucker!)

Hank: (Interrupts) Um, no we can't do that. Sorry.

Dank: Yeah, we keep our 2nd and you retain 50% salary.

GM: Uhhh, what?

Hank & Dank in unison: That's the deal. Take it or leave it.

GM: Dead ring tone.

JB: WTF, guys?!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm Who took those photos? Hank looks stoned and Daniel is like, "Um, what?"
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 pm
Trade conference call with GM from unidentified team...

JB: Ok, we got a deal then? We get X and a scrub. You guys get our top prospect, a 2nd & 3rd without retaining any salary or anything else.

GM: Yes (haha! sucker!)

Hank: (Interrupts) Um, no we can't do that. Sorry.

Dank: Yeah, we keep our 2nd and you retain 50% salary.

GM: Uhhh, what?

Hank & Dank in unison: That's the deal. Take it or leave it.

GM: Dead ring tone.

JB: WTF, guys?!
JB: Lets trade everything for Oliver Ekman Larsson!
Twins: Its pronounced "EE-YEK-MUN"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:20 pm Twins: Its pronounced "EE-YEK-MUN"
I can actually hear them saying this :lol:

"Jim, pass over the tin of surströmming, will you?"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm MCP, if Juolevi is on our second pairing, we're in deep shit.
I agree. But there kinda isnt anyone else there! :roll:

fits that 'lack of depth' theme I was shooting for
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:49 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm MCP, if Juolevi is on our second pairing, we're in deep shit.

We do have the Wrath of Bone. I have him penciled in ahead of Juolevi. But, it's still a little sketchy on D.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Just say no to Sutter at any price. He doesn’t give a shit on the ice and constantly gives up on plays. He is not that great on the PK anymore, can’t skate, doesn’t fight and will be injured by end of November. There has to be a better option than him at any price. Losing him is addition by subtraction.

Edler has to go as well or Green will play him 18-20 mins a night. If this team wants to move forward and change their game they need to change the faces in the locker room.

As you can see I am not a fan of Edler and Sutter.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Tciso wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:38 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:49 pm

We do have the Wrath of Bone. I have him penciled in ahead of Juolevi. But, it's still a little sketchy on D.
The bone man is for sure ahead of the ankle skating OJ
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/sedins ... -325429912
Sedins Named Special Advisors to General Manager... and will join the Hockey Operations Department.
by Canucks Communications @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks
12:30 PM
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will join the Hockey Operations department as Special Advisors to the General Manager.

Daniel and Henrik's combined experience as players and team leaders will complement the Canucks Hockey Operations staff and ultimately support General Manager Jim Benning and Assistant General Managers John Weisbrod and Chris Gear in decision-making and organizational strategy.

The Sedins will learn and support all areas of the team's hockey operations including player evaluation, development and communication from the amateur to NHL level. They will work collaboratively with Abbotsford's AHL staff and coaches, participate in amateur and pro scouting meetings and participate in planning for the Draft, Free Agency and trade deadline.
^^^^
More...... Not to mention the Big new Banner for the occasion The presser comes tomorrow .
I wonder if they got an exclusive concessions deal like the other 'special adviser' Stan Smyl got for the very profitable gourmet hot dog business. Those 'steamers' have become a fixture in the Canuck's war room and a big hit with the fans.

What will be the Sedin's angle I wonder. Meatballs? Pickled herring? I hope the twins haven't overestimated Vancouver's appetite for Swedish food; they might be in for big letdown.

If my hunch is correct. the Sedins could be pretty sour on the whole deal by Christmas time. And that's even assuming Trevor fills them in on how Mr Aquilini likes his coffee.
el rey del mambo