Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Carl Yagro »

Guys that let their agent drag things out and come back without camp or preseason games tend to have career worst years.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:37 am Petey hasn't been in a good mood since the bubble. So when he does blow in to town, Hope he's here with the right attitude.
He's a superstar. He'll show up with something to prove and I reckon he has a career year.
ooooooo....yikes.

:look:
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Johnny Hockey has never been forgiven for his holdout and many have criticized his level of play since return. We fans demand so much more from these guys who hold out for the big contract yet few can really live up to it, in our eyes.

Petey has so much potential and it is on display for us to see but to me he has not earned that big one yet. Same with Hughes, although I'd be more inclined to give it to Hughes. Future wise I dont see Petey leaving as easily as Hughes would.

So if you get the five year deals you look to move them year four if they have not made a commitment to return or they have not lived up to their contract.
The only HW the Canucks need
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:15 pm Johnny Hockey has never been forgiven for his holdout and many have criticized his level of play since return. We fans demand so much more from these guys who hold out for the big contract yet few can really live up to it, in our eyes.

Petey has so much potential and it is on display for us to see but to me he has not earned that big one yet. Same with Hughes, although I'd be more inclined to give it to Hughes. Future wise I dont see Petey leaving as easily as Hughes would.

So if you get the five year deals you look to move them year four if they have not made a commitment to return or they have not lived up to their contract.
I would agree with this, of the two, I think he would be the one to leave first.

I get the feeling now that both their camps and the Canucks are waiting to see what Hamonic does.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I'm sure the Hughes family has been considering the possibility of the brothers all on the same team. It's more likely that would be NJ and not here.

So, a long-term contract for QH is probably unlikely from his camp. He could join them while all are in their primes.

Players these days want all the leverage. They want every last dollar while leaving the door open to leave as soon as it looks like there might be some challenges ahead.

There used be some before, but there's no loyalty on either side anymore.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm I'm sure the Hughes family has been considering the possibility of the brothers all on the same team. It's more likely that would be NJ and not here.

So, a long-term contract for QH is probably unlikely from his camp. He could join them while all are in their primes.

Players these days want all the leverage. They want every last dollar while leaving the door open to leave as soon as it looks like there might be some challenges ahead.

There used be some before, but there's no loyalty on either side anymore.
Uniting all three bros would probably end up in disaster within two or three years. Three brothers is a totally different concept then two. They could end up not getting along at all. Some one could ask for a trade, it simply might not be good for their ongoing growth as players.
Worst of all; If one wants a trade, do all three? Nah, doubt it's really a logical scenario.
"evolution"
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:37 am Petey hasn't been in a good mood since the bubble. So when he does blow in to town, Hope he's here with the right attitude.
He's a superstar. He'll show up with something to prove and I reckon he has a career year.

I got to tell you that what you posted is my hope but talk about 'bird bones'. If he is going to take us to the top or close even, then great but I am concerned about both his fragility and even more about his attitude. When does a wrist injury remove you for so many games? I am not a doctor but there is something sour stuck in our Prince's crown. His talent is wonderful. I just hope he matures a bit as I get a sense of a prima donna.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:51 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:17 am
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am Maybe JB had positive talks with him but it may have changed again.
Why would JB have negative talks or may not change again??? JB is not flip floppy like your opinons...
Because, likely something has changed. Do you not read or listen to the interviews?
I repeat:
why would JB have negative talks?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

theman wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:15 pm Johnny Hockey has never been forgiven for his holdout and many have criticized his level of play since return. We fans demand so much more from these guys who hold out for the big contract yet few can really live up to it, in our eyes.

I would agree with this, of the two, I think he would be the one to leave first.

I get the feeling now that both their camps and the Canucks are waiting to see what Hamonic does.
I am going to look at Hammer's reluctance to show up at training camp as one more veteran who tries to wiggle out of shit like bag skates. Having a daughter with breathing problems is something real and is sad etc. It seems to me we have seen this movie before and I am curious if he waits to the last moment spending time with family or really does retire. Lot of money to walk away from and he is decent at D when in shape. Perhaps this all sounds a bit cynical but.... so what?
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm Uniting all three bros would probably end up in disaster within two or three years.
Why?
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm Three brothers is a totally different concept then two.
Yeah, there's one more.
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm They could end up not getting along at all.
Huh? The Hughes have shown that they're a tight-knit family.

But so what? Teammates don't get along. Unless they're disruptive to the team, nothing would happen.
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm Some one could ask for a trade, it simply might not be good for their ongoing growth as players.
So? The one who asks for a trade would be gonzo. By the time QH hypothetically joins his brothers, all would be in the prime of their powers. What more growth are you talking about?
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm Worst of all; If one wants a trade, do all three?
No. Why would that happen? What team can take on all 3 contracts of that caliber? If one wants a trade, he's gonzo. Why would it affect the other two?
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm Nah, doubt it's really a logical scenario.
You can doubt that it happens. No one can tell what happens near the end of QH's contract with the Canucks... or even the other brothers' contracts in 5 years or whatever. But why isn't it a logical scenario?

Post some links to back this up.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks ... KYcxI0Yni8

Sounds like Hamonic is considering retiring and may not be joining the team afterall. This will be a fairly big blow. If it's because he doesn't want the jab, that would be rather odd considering what happened to the team last season and you would think he would take all precautions to protect his family.

Oh well, Schenner and PoolParty are looking like good signings now and will have to take on a heavier workloads. More opportunity for Olaf and Boner and more money to get Petey and Huggy signed I guess.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Won’t mean much to Rathbone or Juolevi if Hamonic packs it in. It just means they will be in the market for another RH D man. Hopefully they don’t piss away too much in futures to obtain one.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:12 pm Won’t mean much to Rathbone or Juolevi if Hamonic packs it in. It just means they will be in the market for another RH D man. Hopefully they don’t piss away too much in futures to obtain one.
Come on, what are you worried about? It's not like Benning has a history of just throwing picks into deals..............
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

General Benning:
On Monday afternoon, Benning wanted
everybody to take a deep breath. He didn't
want to dwell on cause of the absence, the
opt-out deadline or what manoeuvring he
may have to do to reallocate Hamonic's US$3
million salary this season to add a blueliner,
or the consequences if he chooses to retire.
“He's dealing with a personal issue and I
think everybody should just leave it alone,”
stressed Benning. "'I don't know why people
think with everything that's going on in the
world that when we make a statement about
a personal issue, people think they can stick
their noses in it.
“Just leave the guy alone and let him figure
out what he needs to figure out. I'm in
constant communication with his agent
(Kevin Epp) and he's got a decision to make
with how he's feeling about everything.
When he lets me know, we'll work from there.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Kenji
MVP
MVP

Post by Kenji »

Let’s get Stetcher back.

As for Hughes to NJD, I still like the idea in principle because it’s setting up for an overpay - where sentiment might overwhelm common sense and they’d agree to give more than fair value. But after finally getting a rushing offenceman the Canucks would have to be pretty sure that Rathbone could step into the role.

I’m also content to just watch hockey.