Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Mëds wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:17 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm Gomer, you're the dumbest fuck I've seen in 24 years on the internet. Seriously.

You're a cancer.
Hjewmanji comes to mind.....

lol wow that's an old name I certainly don't miss seeing
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:17 pm
You win with elite skill, Petey has it. He’s struggling, lay off, he will come around. The guys you don’t win with are Bo “Brenden Morrison” Horvat. We need to trade Bo, he’s a good guy and all but he’s got no edge to his game, especially for your captain. He’s to Jason Garrison chill zone
It's not a personal criticism -- or an endorsement of Horvat or Morrison, for that matter. If you cared to look, you'd find posts from me defending his current performance. Pettersson can only be the kind of player he can be. Like the Sedins before him, who had elite -- indeed, HHOF -- skill, there are limitations to his game. The same could be said of Gretzky, really. In a different era, with a very different supporting cast (excepting that I think Demko could do the Fuhr thing, if the Canucks wanted to play that style) Gretzky was the centrepiece of an actual Stanley Cup dynasty, like the one you have been promising me.

Could Pettersson do that? If theoretically possible, could the Canucks build a roster that would enable them to realise it? Would the League allow it? I don't know; I'm not a hockey management genius. I don't even play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I do think these are open questions at this point, and I look forward to clues about what Rutherford thinks are the answers.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:00 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:17 pm
You win with elite skill, Petey has it. He’s struggling, lay off, he will come around. The guys you don’t win with are Bo “Brenden Morrison” Horvat. We need to trade Bo, he’s a good guy and all but he’s got no edge to his game, especially for your captain. He’s to Jason Garrison chill zone
It's not a personal criticism -- or an endorsement of Horvat or Morrison, for that matter.
No. Not Morrison. He retired a long time ago
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

OEL , while he’s been pretty good this year, that contract is a poison pill. How many good 30 + D men are in the league anymore making big Jack?

Doughty
Petro
EK

There’s guys are a cut above OEL. Subban is a bit older and has aged like Harold Snepsts.

Five more years. Yikes
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

But Klingberg is asking for 8... and some team will give it to him.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 pm But Klingberg is asking for 8... and some team will give it to him.
Someone will. I am fine with OEL and Myers for two, maybe three years at their salaries. Myers fortunately, is up in two years. OEL will end up getting bought out
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, I think Myers should be fine for another two.

You could be right about OEL. But that's been a league trend for quite awhile. These guys will get their final big contracts and then you have to buy them out or bench them.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm OEL , while he’s been pretty good this year, that contract is a poison pill. How many good 30 + D men are in the league anymore making big Jack?

Doughty
Petro
EK

There’s guys are a cut above OEL. Subban is a bit older and has aged like Harold Snepsts.

Five more years. Yikes
Carlson
Josi
Burns
Hedman
Spurgeon
Letang
Vlasic
Giordano
McDonagh
Krug
Fowler

All cap hits of $6.5m or more.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:19 pm Yeah, I think Myers should be fine for another two.

You could be right about OEL. But that's been a league trend for quite awhile. These guys will get their final big contracts and then you have to buy them out or bench them.
The War Giraffe was the Chaos Giraffe today.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm OEL , while he’s been pretty good this year, that contract is a poison pill. How many good 30 + D men are in the league anymore making big Jack?

Doughty
Petro
EK

Five more years. Yikes
Carlson
Josi
Burns
Hedman
Spurgeon
Letang
Vlasic
Giordano
McDonagh
Krug
Fowler

All cap hits of $6.5m or more.
Most of those guys are better than OEL or the term isn’t that long. I should have specified that. The only ones I see at his level are Vlasic, Burns and maybe Spurgeon.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Worrying about term we should look at guys in their mid 30s then.

Burns
Weber
Letang
Vlasic
Seabrook
Giordano

If OEL is on LTIR like Weber and Seabrook who cares, we get the cap space. If he can maintain and play like Giordano and Letang in their careers he’ll be worth the hit. If he can’t maintain he may just retire.

He doesn’t play a flashy game but he’s solid, a strong skater and has great hockey IQ. Those are attributes that can allow a guy to play a little longer.

I think he has at least 3 years left barring serious injury. Maybe longer!
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:03 pm
He doesn’t play a flashy game but he’s solid, a strong skater and has great hockey IQ. Those are attributes that can allow a guy to play a little longer.
Which is exactly what the Canucks need at this point given the d men they have. Unfortunately Rathbone shoots left, if and when he gets his chance with the Canucks his offensive upside he might be a good fit with OEL.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arbour wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:03 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:03 pm
Which is exactly what the Canucks need at this point given the d men they have. Unfortunately Rathbone shoots left, if and when he gets his chance with the Canucks his offensive upside he might be a good fit with OEL.
I’d agree, we need stability on the back end and on the left side with Hughes more offensively minded.

The right side is where the work needs to be done! RHD have always been the most sought after.
Ringer#20
MVP
MVP

Post by Ringer#20 »

At this juncture, trimming 2 players and adding 2 that we really need in key positions (RHD two tough player, 3rd line center that can score)would be an enormous help. Personally, I like Bo, but I need a true winner that is a mean SOB for captain….maybe JTM? Trade Brock, for similar reasons. Just my view…
Stand up, you diver.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Is Halakalakalaka on no bonus covid protocol?

<Nudge nudge, wink wink>