Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:05 am
Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:01 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:07 am So Hamonic comes up, Rathbone goes down. Probably Pod next down for Petan or Di Giuseppe.
This coach needs his head examined. They can't lose Jack to waivers so he's the sacrificial lamb for Green. Still a bad move, IMO. If he can't get what he wants to see out of Podkolzin, that should be enough for JB to fire his ass out of this place. Kid has major talent. Would be sticking on most other teams.
Why we gotta be the only franchise in the NHL that rushes it's fourth and fifth round picks straight onto the NHL roster from college/junior? Why can't we just this one time develop a kid properly? I know it'll shock the system of Vancouver hockey fans who have never seen proper development before, but they'll adjust in time.
Like Lockwood? Gadjo? Dipetro? Silvos,? Joulevi? Malone? we sure rushed all these guys!

Perhaps its not the development system, just the fan expectations? Some of the prospects simply dont have the skill set.

And regarding Podkolzin, why are people roasting Green for something that has not even happened?

If they Send Hunt or Schenn through waivers, and we lose them for nothing, people will claim bad asset management, and when the injuries happen (and they will), we will be short bodies. Sending Jack down and not exposing anyone is good management. It also helps maintain what little familiarity between players that they might have, opposed to being forced to grab scrubs off the waiver wire from other teams when the injuries hit. If we have to play scrubs, the scrubs might as well know each other.
I did qualify this statement in my follow up post with the caveat that the player must be able to half way play before he gets no minor league seasoning. Ben Hutton springs to mind. Karel Plasek will get all the minor league development time he needs :lol:

And I don't think people would sweat the loss of Mike Hunt personally, remote as that possibility might be.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:15 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:59 am
Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:42 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:07 am So Hamonic comes up, Rathbone goes down. Probably Pod next down for Petan or Di Giuseppe.
This coach needs his head examined. They can't lose Jack to waivers so he's the sacrificial lamb for Green. Still a bad move, IMO. If he can't get what he wants to see out of Podkolzin, that should be enough for JB to fire his ass out of this place. Kid has major talent. Would be sticking on most other teams.
Why we gotta be the only franchise in the NHL that rushes it's fourth and fifth round picks straight onto the NHL roster from college/junior? Why can't we just this one time develop a kid properly? I know it'll shock the system of Vancouver hockey fans who have never seen proper development before, but they'll adjust in time.
Elderly waiver wire pick ups and washed up vets is the answer? Preach me a better reason.
It bugs me the way every time someone remotely able to play gets thrown into the deep end right away and is never properly prepared to handle the NHL level. It's almost without fail that this happens and it really only happens here. I hate it. Mike Hunt can sit and watch here and he doesn't lose anything and gains an NHL paycheck.
With the moves today, Mike Hunt is your third pairing every game, left side defense man. Think about it.
Mick it's been obvious to me for some time now that we're going to deploy a four righty/two lefty defensive group on most nights when everyone is healthy. Last Saturday the Abby Canucks iced a five righty/one lefty setup. Remember, this is an organization that fetishizes right handed defensemen far beyond the league norm. What we're learning this year is that maybe there is such a thing as too many right handed D. Doesn't hurt to have a few lefties around as well.

*fun fact - if Brady Keeper were healthy the Abby Canucks would have iced a full contingent of six right-handed defensemen on Saturday.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Brendan Batchelor @BatchHockey
Tyler Motte points to a scar on his neck when referring to his off season surgery. Had a bulging disc in his neck. He says he dealt with it, on and off, for a couple of years.
@Sportsnet650
12:29 PM · Nov 1, 2021
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:18 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Like Lockwood? Gadjo? Dipetro? Silvos,? Joulevi? Malone? we sure rushed all these guys!

Perhaps its not the development system, just the fan expectations? Some of the prospects simply dont have the skill set.

And regarding Podkolzin, why are people roasting Green for something that has not even happened?

If they Send Hunt or Schenn through waivers, and we lose them for nothing, people will claim bad asset management, and when the injuries happen (and they will), we will be short bodies. Sending Jack down and not exposing anyone is good management. It also helps maintain what little familiarity between players that they might have, opposed to being forced to grab scrubs off the waiver wire from other teams when the injuries hit. If we have to play scrubs, the scrubs might as well know each other.
I did qualify this statement in my follow up post with the caveat that the player must be able to half way play before he gets no minor league seasoning. Ben Hutton springs to mind. Karel Plasek will get all the minor league development time he needs :lol:

And I don't think people would sweat the loss of Mike Hunt personally, remote as that possibility might be.
True.. I was also replying more to a general bashing thats been happening. :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The move to send Rathbone to Abbotsford is the right one but in my mind should have happened at the end of camp. We should also have waived Hunt then. We should have kept Juolevi. That was the more logical approach.

Had Hamonic reported then Burroughs would likely have been waived too at the end of camp. Now we would likely lose Burroughs to waivers.

I also agree that we will see more RHD deployed and so this move does not mean Hunt is our game to game 3 pairing LHD. Green has a fixation of playing correct sided D'men, much more than most teams. Players learn to play both sides. This was true with Trymankin, he actually said many times he preferred the right side. But we never wanted to play him there. There comes a point in time where a coach has to let go of that and ice the best six.

Interesting it didn't take long for Hamonic to get recalled and one has to wonder how longit will be before he hurts his groin.

Most years I have not had too much complaint about Benning's asset management but this season I think he has missed the boat on a few calls.

I think Green will be the fall guy, rightly or wrongly. I think time is definitely running out on him to turn this around, yesterday!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:07 am So Hamonic comes up, Rathbone goes down.
This coach needs his head examined. They can't lose Jack to waivers so he's the sacrificial lamb for Green. Still a bad move, IMO.
Jack isn't a "sacrificial lamb", he needs to go to Abby to play big minutes and work on his defensive game.

I see in the Links thread you think this means they're going to play York Hunt in the 3rd pairing left-side spot.

Well I think Schenn has experience on his off-side and I think I read somewhere that Burroughs in also capable.

And they weren't afraid of losing York Hunt to waivers lol...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are not also scouring dumpsters and potential waiver claims to see if there might be a LH guy out there that makes some sense. Gomer gotsta have his meltdowns. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:07 am So Hamonic comes up, Rathbone goes down.
This coach needs his head examined. They can't lose Jack to waivers so he's the sacrificial lamb for Green. Still a bad move, IMO.
Jack isn't a "sacrificial lamb", he needs to go to Abby to play big minutes and work on his defensive game.

I see in the Links thread you think this means they're going to play York Hunt in the 3rd pairing left-side spot.

Well I think Schenn has experience on his off-side and I think I read somewhere that Burroughs in also capable.

It's my prerogative to disagree. Time will prove me right. Anyways, I bet JR is back before the Christmas break. Burroughs is somewhat of a pleasant surprise but I wouldn't to play him on his off side.

Tired of having the edit function disabled.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:01 pm Gomer gotsta have his meltdowns. :lol:
Yeah he's running around in a few threads going:

"This coach needs his head examined" Image

"Insanity to send Rathbone to the minors and keep Hunt" ImageImageImage

Gomer is the sane one! :lol:

BTW word is Hammy had his first dose and is due for the second dose any day now...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm
Then stop telling lies and editing it to cover them up.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

It's my prerogative to disagree.
Did anyone say otherwise?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even gomers...

Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm Time will prove me right.
So you think Press Box Hunt who has played a grand total of 25 minutes this season will be a staple in our top 6 now? :eh:

Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm Anyways, I bet JR is back before the Christmas break.
I bet everyone bets that...

Micky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm Burroughs is somewhat of a pleasant surprise but I wouldn't to play him on his off side.
For all you know Burroughs prefers dat dere. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:09 pm BTW word is Hammy had his first dose and is due for the second dose any day now...
...so Puck Bunny's is his issue.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

hee hee, could be Donny. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

It's my prerogative to disagree. Time will prove me right. Anyways, I bet JR is back before the Christmas break. Burroughs is somewhat of a pleasant surprise but I wouldn't to play him on his off side.

Rathbone needs some time in the AHL at this early stage. The only risk here is Mr Aquilini getting frustrated watching an asset developing in Abby and pressing Jimmy to turn him into Adam Clendening.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:04 pm The move to send Rathbone to Abbotsford is the right one but in my mind should have happened at the end of camp. We should also have waived Hunt then. We should have kept Juolevi. That was the more logical approach.
Maybe, but it feels like they weren't happy with Juice's attitude and then there was that little ice-nap he took.

Speaking of OJ's injury-prone-ness, I think he injured himself gather his luggage at Miami International Airport (MIA)

... and yeah, he's been MIA ever since. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.