Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:00 am :? 6 in 8 years is a bunch of NHL ready players?
Quality Blob.

(Almost) 3 Calder's in 3 years.

The rest were given to Cull (and his predecessors) to develop and we see how that turned out.
What exactly was given to Cull and company that was any good? Did him and Green ruin Juolevi? Virtanen? Brisebois? Did Cull trade McCann and Forsling? Did you think he fucked up Rafferty?

Dude I’m not saying Cull is a good coach. But the guy has had little to no good kids to work with in the AHL. The good ones, all six of them, went straight to the show.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:11 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:00 am :? 6 in 8 years is a bunch of NHL ready players?
Quality Blob.

(Almost) 3 Calder's in 3 years.

The rest were given to Cull (and his predecessors) to develop and we see how that turned out.
What exactly was given to Cull and company that was any good? Did him and Green ruin Juolevi? Virtanen? Brisebois? Did Cull trade McCann and Forsling? Did you think he fucked up Rafferty?

Dude I’m not saying Cull is a good coach. But the guy has had little to no good kids to work with in the AHL. The good ones, all six of them, went straight to the show.
If you think Rutherford coming in is going to miraculously start adding gems from the later rounds you would be mistaken. He has had a very, very mediocre draft history in Pitt.

Remove Vancouver's top round selections (because Pitt was a contender and naturally was moving picks to bolster cup runs) and you see an even bleaker wasteland of duds.

His time in Carolina was better for sure but why couldn't he replicate what he did there in Pitt? Were those D he found for the Canes after the 1st Rd mere flukes?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pensbu ... therford
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Juolevi again...he was the highest ranked Dman by central scouting at the time. I doubt any other teams would have passed on him for a lower ranked D but it happens right. Slugs leave slug trails

I hated the Forsling trade right away. It was retarded

McCanncer...i personally would've shipped the flake but Jimmy chose wrong I guess

Rafferty blows.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:32 am Juolevi again...he was the highest ranked Dman by central scouting at the time. I doubt any other teams would have passed on him for a lower ranked D but it happens right. Slugs leave slug trails

I hated the Forsling trade right away. It was retarded

McCanncer...i personally would've shipped the flake but Jimmy chose wrong I guess

Rafferty blows.
Apparently the Flames we’re gonna select Juolevi if we picked Tkachuk
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:00 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:35 pm
Someone like Adam Gaudette... why wouldn't he spend two years with us so that we can groom him and get him better... as opposed to something that is maybe rushed
- Trent Cull

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status ... layoffs%2F
I’ve been in that Tampa organization. Unless those guys are utter superstars, everybody spends time in Syracuse, New York before they go to Tampa. So, that would be a bit of a difference right there [to Vancouver] and a great example would be someone like Adam Gaudette
We can’t have a guy who only plays 16 games pro and then he’s gonna play in the NHL and then wonder why he’s not maybe the right product for the group moving forward
You need time to acclimate to the National Hockey League
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks ... hed-to-nhl
#BenningBuilt
Oh yes, Adam Gaudette would be a star right now if he had spent a coupla years in the AHL and Cull has the math to prove it. :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:19 pm Oh yes, Adam Gaudette would be a star right now if he had spent a coupla years in the AHL and Cull has the math to prove it. :roll:
I guess for Cull, Gaudette was the one that got away...if only he hadn't made the team, he'd have been the first NHL player developed by Cull
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:19 pm Oh yes, Adam Gaudette would be a star right now if he had spent a coupla years in the AHL and Cull has the math to prove it. :roll:
I guess for Cull, Gaudette was the one that got away...if only he hadn't made the team, he'd have been the first NHL player developed by Cull
At the same time… I’m no Cull fan but I’d be curious to see a list of all those blue chippers that he fucked up.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:42 pm
At the same time… I’m no Cull fan but I’d be curious to see a list of all those blue chippers that he fucked up.
The counterpoint to Doc's sarcastic remark about Gaudette is that obviously he was a player that Benning thought was a good player who would help the team and develop into a top-6 forward.....otherwise why would he even have brought him up to the show?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:00 am
The counterpoint to Doc's sarcastic remark about Gaudette is that obviously he was a player that Benning thought was a good player who would help the team and develop into a top-6 forward.....otherwise why would he even have brought him up to the show?
Nice logic there! :lol:

"Obviously" "top-6 forward"

UMMM could it be possible Elmer saw him as an bottom-6 energy forward?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:32 pm

No. Because Elmer said they expected him to take a step forward and produce more offense, cited his big league shot from the outside and that he just didn't seem to do that.

I would have said 3rd line center, but the kid's defensive game was never there, so why would you suddenly expect that to happen?

I'm sure they wanted him to be the 3rd line C (so bottom-6), but they wanted him to be a Ryan Kesler circa 2010-12 in that role. Perhaps even pushing Horvat down the depth chart at even-strength?

And why would you be rushing a guy into the show if you didn't see him being anything more than a bottom-6 guy?
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

I seem to recall the scuttlebutt around the signing of Cull was he had a reputation for developing dmen. Someone lied.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 am

No. Because Elmer said they expected him to take a step forward and produce more offense, cited his big league shot from the outside and that he just didn't seem to do that.

I would have said 3rd line center, but the kid's defensive game was never there, so why would you suddenly expect that to happen?

I'm sure they wanted him to be the 3rd line C (so bottom-6), but they wanted him to be a Ryan Kesler circa 2010-12 in that role. Perhaps even pushing Horvat down the depth chart at even-strength?

And why would you be rushing a guy into the show if you didn't see him being anything more than a bottom-6 guy?
Give your head a shake, they brought him up when he was 22 to play 4th line minutes.

And that's all he's ever played.

That's not rushing him and that's not "Obviously expecting him to be a top-6 forward".
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 am

Give your head a shake, they brought him up when he was 22 to play 4th line minutes.

And that's all he's ever played.

That's not rushing him and that's not "Obviously expecting him to be a top-6 forward".
Was Gaudette ever the kind of player that struck you as someone you wanted on your 4th line? He wasn't physical, he couldn't control the puck and eat the clock in the offensive zone, his defensive game was weak, and he couldn't win faceoffs.

Quit being a douche for the sake of arguement Doc. Gaudette was 2nd line type player, decently fast, good shot, some offensive instincts. He was never a shutdown forward. You don't develop him on the 4th line in the NHL. You develop him in the AHL.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm You don't develop him on the 4th line in the NHL. You develop him in the AHL.
Gaudette was drafted late in the 5th round of 2015.

He then chose to develop in university for 3 years.

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/02/21/can ... -gaudette/
Gaudette is — or was, until this season — most-known for his defensive prowess and his 200-foot game. Another season at Northeastern would give him time to get stronger and really round out his all-around game, before making the jump to the pros.

If he stays in the NCAA for 2017-18, he will get a legitimate shot at an NHL roster spot in training camp.
Well he did "stay in the NCAA for 2017-18" and he did "get a shot at an NHL roster spot in training camp."

And the rest as they say is history. :wink:

Gaudette was set to require waivers in 2019, so it's not like he was ever going to spend years in the AHL.

EDIT: And hey, Canucks did have him play in Utica (14 games) in 2018-19 until they got hit with a rash of injuries:

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/11/09/van ... -injuries/
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

We don’t have enough sandpaper. It’s a different game in the West. We have to get some guys — not a lot of guys — but a few guys that are a little bit heavier, to play with some sandpaper.
- JR

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks ... 34i7uaToI4

I had the impression that JR's focus would be more on speed and skill for the direction of the club, but I'm glad to hear that he wants more gritty guys who can play a heavy game. It'll be interesting to see if they actually make this a priority in the offseason. :D
I think not just for next season, but in the long run, we don’t have really any young right-shot defencemen. We don’t have any young centre icemen coming. Those will be some of the things that we’ll focus on here, whether we can do it this offseason here or if takes another year or two. That’s one priority we have
A young RS D is well documented, guess the future for Jet Woo and Viktor Persson is not looking good, our next One-eyed Bro Bro Raffertys. Bit surprised he said he has no young centres coming; guess he projects Super Swede, Linus Karlsson more as a winger. :?