Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just like Forsberg he's a winger....

just like him Blob

:P
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 am
We don’t have enough sandpaper. It’s a different game in the West. We have to get some guys — not a lot of guys — but a few guys that are a little bit heavier, to play with some sandpaper.
- JR

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks ... 34i7uaToI4

I had the impression that JR's focus would be more on speed and skill for the direction of the club, but I'm glad to hear that he wants more gritty guys who can play a heavy game. It'll be interesting to see if they actually make this a priority in the offseason. :D
I think not just for next season, but in the long run, we don’t have really any young right-shot defencemen. We don’t have any young centre icemen coming. Those will be some of the things that we’ll focus on here, whether we can do it this offseason here or if takes another year or two. That’s one priority we have
A young RS D is well documented, guess the future for Jet Woo and Viktor Persson is not looking good, our next One-eyed Bro Bro Raffertys. Bit surprised he said he has no young centres coming; guess he projects Super Swede, Linus Karlsson more as a winger. :?
Well at least JR agrees with most of us.

Sounds like he's been reading CC.

But really pretty obvious observations, and they are correct. We need some assholes, we will always need centres and we will always need RSD. This is nothing new, hopefully they have a good idea of how to attain these assets to expedite the need. Doing it through the draft is fine but that's 4-6 years out.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 am
We don’t have enough sandpaper. It’s a different game in the West. We have to get some guys — not a lot of guys — but a few guys that are a little bit heavier, to play with some sandpaper.
- JR

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks ... 34i7uaToI4

I had the impression that JR's focus would be more on speed and skill for the direction of the club, but I'm glad to hear that he wants more gritty guys who can play a heavy game. It'll be interesting to see if they actually make this a priority in the offseason. :D
I think not just for next season, but in the long run, we don’t have really any young right-shot defencemen. We don’t have any young centre icemen coming. Those will be some of the things that we’ll focus on here, whether we can do it this offseason here or if takes another year or two. That’s one priority we have
A young RS D is well documented, guess the future for Jet Woo and Viktor Persson is not looking good, our next One-eyed Bro Bro Raffertys. Bit surprised he said he has no young centres coming; guess he projects Super Swede, Linus Karlsson more as a winger. :?
On identifying the organizational positional weaknesses, of course this is correct.

As far as your comment "I had the impression the JR's focus would be on speed and skill" but now he "wants more gritty guys who can play a heavy game," this is a yellow flag. The caution is whether this group is going to fall into the trap that is more common than not at trying to address every attribute with some value at the expense of creating an identity and style that results from an abundance of a certain style. What made the Blues "gritty" during their Stanley Cup season wasn't adding a few gritty players, it was line after line after line had a grinding mentality (even their scoring lines to an extent) and that's what it takes to wear the opposition down. Similarly, if you want a "fast" team, you want a team where that speed is evident on at least 3 lines. Why? Because its only through overloading the "identity" that match ups become a lot more difficult.

I'm not saying that teams can't win with mutt features. But I am saying that attributes don't impact teams linearly. Some attributes don't change a team when a little bit is added, sometimes the reaction is significant when one more comes in. Water at 160 degrees F is what it is at 45 degrees. But its much different at 212 degrees.

The other thing I should mention is that a fan's impressions of what management is saying isn't always what they are saying and more than that isn't always what they are thinking. I'm not saying GMs statements are necessarily deceptive, but I certainly believe that GMs have two primary audiences when they speak to the press. One, fans -- how do we keep them interested in this team and buying tickets. Two, other GMs. Sometimes teams don't want either audience to know the level of their despair.... sometimes press statements can be an efficient way of communicating a player presumably "available" is still not going to be cheap.... sometimes they want the fans to hear things in the Obama-fashion -- say something broad enough where the fans can put their imprint as to what this team should be into what we are doing. Etc. (The other audience to keep in mind is the players, what's being withheld for their benefit, what's being disclosed to make them uncomfortable or alter contract negotiations).
Hono_rary Canadian
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:44 am The other thing I should mention is that a fan's impressions of what management is saying isn't always what they are saying and more than that isn't always what they are thinking. I'm not saying GMs statements are necessarily deceptive, but I certainly believe that GMs have two primary audiences when they speak to the press. One, fans -- how do we keep them interested in this team and buying tickets. Two, other GMs. Sometimes teams don't want either audience to know the level of their despair.... sometimes press statements can be an efficient way of communicating a player presumably "available" is still not going to be cheap.... sometimes they want the fans to hear things in the Obama-fashion -- say something broad enough where the fans can put their imprint as to what this team should be into what we are doing. Etc. (The other audience to keep in mind is the players, what's being withheld for their benefit, what's being disclosed to make them uncomfortable or alter contract negotiations).
This is oh so true and something that a lot of folk don't take into consideration.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Assistant Coaches Brad Shaw and Jason King will return to the Canucks next season to resume their current roles, while Assistant Coaches Scott Walker, Kyle Gustafson, and Video Coach Darryl Seward will not be returning to the team for the 2022.23 season.
LINK
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Maybe it's just me, but I never got a sense that Scott Walker wanted to be here 100%.

Still shocked at what Jason Security King brings that allows him to keep surviving multiple purges.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:02 pm Maybe it's just me, but I never got a sense that Scott Walker wanted to be here 100%.

Still shocked at what Jason Security King brings that allows him to keep surviving multiple purges.
Walker took a puck in the grill and missed a good chunk of the season. They may have leaned on him to see if he was up for the task next year. Coaches are getting the boot everywhere so they want to solidify a staff. Hopefully they left the door open for a return if and when he chooses to return. Otherwise it stinks worse than the Dude’s tights after Freestyle Friday at the Dufferin.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

What the living fuck is going on here...????

How is King sliding through all these skinnings???
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:45 pm What the living fuck is going on here...????

He rode shotgun with on the Sedin Stagecoach. I hear Anson Carter is coming back in an undisclosed role too.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:14 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:45 pm What the living fuck is going on here...????

He rode shotgun with on the Sedin Stagecoach. I hear Anson Carter is coming back in an undisclosed role too.
And Loui Eriksson as an empty-net scoring coach… both ways…
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has signed forward Linus Karlsson to an entry-level contract.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... -334327386
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cornuck wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:09 am Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has signed forward Linus Karlsson to an entry-level contract.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... -334327386
I personally am dissapointed. I was hoping Allvin and the Chipmunks would screw this up so we could have a new thread full of vitriol and unrelenting anger. Oh well. On a hockey note, this is good for Abby, and hopefully the kid makes the NHl in a season or 2.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Allvin and the Chickmonks.

JR is Dave Saville....
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Remember when the Benning Bashers tore BenningBuilt a new one for trading Dahlen for Karlsson? :lol:

Gold Jerry, Gold!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

OEL fractured his foot at the Worlds... 6 week recovery they say.
____
Try to focus on someday.