2021 NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 NHL Playoffs

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:56 am Count me as someone who wanted TT back and his contract and term are reasonable for what he brings. I think is was a mistake to let him walk but he is of the ilk that we should be able to replace, if we can clear cap.

It was interesting to see how well so many of the aging vets played in the playoffs. They may be a drag in the regular season but their value jumps out at you in the playoffs. TT played injured in the Finals did he not?
I can't believe Weber nuked himself to the extent that his career is probably over. Lucky for Nashville :roll:

But I thought it was cleared up that TT didn't re-sign because Benning was working on the Schmidt trade?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:07 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:56 am Count me as someone who wanted TT back and his contract and term are reasonable for what he brings. I think is was a mistake to let him walk but he is of the ilk that we should be able to replace, if we can clear cap.

It was interesting to see how well so many of the aging vets played in the playoffs. They may be a drag in the regular season but their value jumps out at you in the playoffs. TT played injured in the Finals did he not?
I can't believe Weber nuked himself to the extent that his career is probably over. Lucky for Nashville :roll:

But I thought it was cleared up that TT didn't re-sign because Benning was working on the Schmidt trade?
Schmidt or OEL?
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

donlever wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:11 am
Schmidt or OEL?
Schmidt - he was traded on Oct 12, the same day TT signed with Montreal per wikipedia.

The OEL deadline was (Friday) Oct. 9.

Perhaps the OEL drama dragged out the Schmidt trade, but TT didn't move on until three days after the OEL window was closed.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:39 pm
donlever wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:11 am
Schmidt or OEL?
Schmidt - he was traded on Oct 12, the same day TT signed with Montreal per wikipedia.

The OEL deadline was (Friday) Oct. 9.

Perhaps the OEL drama dragged out the Schmidt trade, but TT didn't move on until three days after the OEL window was closed.
10-4
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Toffoli didn’t re sign because he never even got an offer from Vancouver. Elmer had 25 million tied up in garbage as well as another 3 million plus on Luongo. Didn’t have anything to do with Schmidt me thinks.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:05 pm Toffoli didn’t re sign because he never even got an offer from Vancouver. Elmer had 25 million tied up in garbage as well as another 3 million plus on Luongo. Didn’t have anything to do with Schmidt me thinks.
Well, if the Schmidt deal hadn't happened, there would have been cap space to match Montreal's offer.

Seeing how mediocre Schmidt is, and hindsight being 20/20, I wish we had signed Tanev and Toffoli, not acquired Schmidt and his brutal contract, and traded Virtanen's rights for a 2nd or 3rd.

When you look at it that way - Virtanen and Schmidt and a 3rd for Tanev and TT - it really looks bad.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:36 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:05 pm Toffoli didn’t re sign because he never even got an offer from Vancouver. Elmer had 25 million tied up in garbage as well as another 3 million plus on Luongo. Didn’t have anything to do with Schmidt me thinks.
Well, if the Schmidt deal hadn't happened, there would have been cap space to match Montreal's offer.

Seeing how mediocre Schmidt is, and hindsight being 20/20, I wish we had signed Tanev and Toffoli, not acquired Schmidt and his brutal contract, and traded Virtanen's rights for a 2nd or 3rd.

When you look at it that way - Virtanen and Schmidt and a 3rd for Tanev and TT - it really looks bad.
Schmidt’s contract while bloated considering his performance last season, is still positive value. Eriksson, Beagle, Sutteretc are all negative value. But considering the way things played out, Tanev and Toffoli make more sense than Schmidt.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:07 am

Not so lucky for Nashville yet. The league is determining whether or not Weber is a candidate for LTIR. From what I'm gathering they are perhaps cracking down on these over 40 type contracts where teams avoid cap hits and recapture by keeping players on IR who will never play again.

They've taken some pretty heavy criticism for allowing things like Hossa and Kovalchuk, as well as this latest with Kucherov.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:31 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm Who else speaks Gomerese?
Maybe we should get Mathowny back in here.
He wouldn't last 48 hours. :lol:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:53 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:36 pm

Schmidt’s contract while bloated considering his performance last season, is still positive value. Eriksson, Beagle, Sutteretc are all negative value. But considering the way things played out, Tanev and Toffoli make more sense than Schmidt.
Your both hind sighting this instead of looking ahead 2 years...

In 2 years, I would rather have 1 contract I might be able to move (Schmidt) than 2 (TT and CT) that I probably can’t (without sweeteners)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I disagree on having to move those contracts and I also disagree they’d need to add assets to move them. They are both coming off great seasons and have three years left. Tanev has had two healthy seasons back to back and is 31. Toffoli is 29 and a lock for 25 goals. The Markstrom contract could be an issue for Calgary in years 5 and 6 though.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I could care less about old men like 31year olds Tanev and Markstrom. To me it’s all about Petey, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, Horvat…. etc.,
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

TT already skates in sand at age 30...this is why Jimmy the Genius had the prescience to opt out of the turtle derby.

Tanev is made of glass and doesnt move the needle whatsoever.

Markstrom can get his retirement contract from the cowgrease mouthbreathers because we have a better option

Jimmy the Genius keeps a steady hand on the tiller with a watchful eye on the horizon while puffing on his wake and bake chonger
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:36 am TT already skates in sand at age 30...this is why Jimmy the Genius had the prescience to opt out of the turtle derby.

Markstrom can get his retirement contract from the cowgrease mouthbreathers because we have a better option

Jimmy the Genius keeps a steady hand on the tiller with a watchful eye on the horizon while puffing on his wake and bake chonger
Exactly Cuz.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:40 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:36 am TT already skates in sand at age 30...this is why Jimmy the Genius had the prescience to opt out of the turtle derby.

Exactly Cuz.
Blob cant comprehend the geniusosity that Jimmy is wielding...how could he!

Hes like 4 moves ahead of what Blob is seeing
If you need air...call it in