Next seasons roster - Part 2

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who should the Canucks resign or bring back for next season?

Sutter
4%
Vesey
No votes
Virtanen
1%
Bowey
4%
Chatfield
5%
Edler
15%
Hamonic
21%
Juolevi
20%
Holtby
9%
Dipietro
22%

Total votes: 81

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Next seasons roster - Part 2

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:25 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:40 am They need speed in the bottom line desperately so i might take a flyer on him too. The lame Rooster was more turtle than pest....2 years left might end up bought out
Only one year left for Rooster.

I'm generally in favour of skewing to 1/2 year reclamation projects again for the bottom six, as there are prospects (above the much-beloved McEwan level) who are starting to need opportunity.

However, I don't believe these reclamation projects should be considered an upgrade. They're at best a roll of the dice, but we need to wrap our heads around the idea that upgrading the bottom six will cost dollars and term, and that's what people have been harping on Benning for years about doing.

Some media types also seem to think that the post-covid lineup was indicative of the team's bottom six. It was not. It was our 13th-18th forwards being dressed out of necessity. It was truly like an exhibition game in the pre season.
Who either than Pettersson that was on the injury list was actually any good? They were all pretty much replacement level guys imho. Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen etc. The team badly needs two top 9 forwards if Podkolzin is ready to contribute like Hoglander. If he’s not ready they likely need three. Their forwards after the six best guys were putrid last year. I’m open minded as per getting some youngish more long term guys in here and paying a bit- guys like Mclovin, Wennberg etc, or going older for guys on one to two year deals, maybe Tatar or someone like that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Canucks might want to think about talking to Zach Hyman when the dust clears. 28 is a little older then you'd like and he's worth a chunky raise but is that realistic to expect at present? Doubt TO can $$$ so that would make our top nine better?
Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun
Re: leaves offering Hyman $5-million AAV, agent Todd Reynolds says that's not accurate.
8:46 AM · Jun 4, 2021
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Micky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 pm Canucks might want to think about talking to Zach Hyman when the dust clears. 28 is a little older then you'd like and he's worth a chunky raise but is that realistic to expect at present? Doubt TO can $$$ so that would make our top nine better?
Re: Leaves offering Hyman $5-million AAV, agent Todd Reynolds says that's not accurate.
Only if Hymen takes a realistic contract. His stats are inflated from playing with Ron Jeremy's 'stache. I'd go $4.5 x 3, but he is not worth $5.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 pm Canucks might want to think about talking to Zach Hyman when the dust clears. 28 is a little older then you'd like and he's worth a chunky raise but is that realistic to expect at present? Doubt TO can $$$ so that would make our top nine better?
Re: Leaves offering Hyman $5-million AAV, agent Todd Reynolds says that's not accurate.
Well as I've pointed out a few times, this is exactly the kind of player Jimmy targets:

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:23 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ey_players

I don't know if a team ever had two in the organization at the same time until now.

But your Vancouver Canucks have Hughes and Leipsic.

And Benning allegedly tried to trade for Jason Demers. :eh:

Demers allegedly nixed the trade then... but I wonder if he'd do the same now.

Then trade for Zucker and we'd have them all.

ALL!!!
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:28 pm Don't you see what's happening here??

Benning meeting with the scouts last week:

Having said that, I can't see the Leaves letting him go.

Mr Andersen leaving creates enough cap-room if they fill out half their roster with minimum wagers as usual.

They could also find a way to unload the crappy Kerfoot and his $3.5M.

I'm thinking $4.5 x 5 for Hyman.

BTW he turns 29 in two days and his reckless style has taken a toll on his body...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pm

BTW he turns 29 in two days and his reckless style has taken a toll on his body...
That is 2 years too long. I like what I have seen from Hyman (including losing in game 7 to the Habs. hehehehe), but, his stats are inflated by playing with 4 of the best forwards in the game. If he gets 5 years, it better be from some other team.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pm

That is 2 years too long. I like what I have seen from Hyman (including losing in game 7 to the Habs. hehehehe), but, his stats are inflated by playing with 4 of the best forwards in the game. If he gets 5 years, it better be from some other team.
I was talking about the Leaves giving him that deal... that's my guesstimate.

M+M desperately need someone to dig out the puck for them and Hyman is one of the best in the biz.

He played a good chunk of this season on the 3rd line with bums and still put up points BTW.

(Thornton played a lot in that 1st line spot for some God-forsaken reason)

Hyman doesn't get to play with Gomez & Co on the #1PP (he gets #2 PP time though).

He's got a motor that just won't quit and loves to play the body and go to the net.

He's also the Leaves best penalty killer.

They'll pay him, and about time too, he's been underpaid for years...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hyman is their only top 6 who knows how to play in tge playoffs. For sure I'd take him at 5x4
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What about Eric Haula?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:01 pm Hyman is their only top 6 who knows how to play in tge playoffs. For sure I'd take him at 5x4
Yeah he’s a good player, but like Coleman he’s approaching 30 and his game could fall off a cliff.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:56 pm
Who either than Pettersson that was on the injury list was actually any good? They were all pretty much replacement level guys imho. Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen etc.
Well, we got to see the coveted "replacement level guys" try to take those spots. We saw what a bottom six of waiver fodder, league-minimum salary looks like.

If you want those kinds of guys, you'll get that kind of performance from the bottom six.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:11 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:01 pm Hyman is their only top 6 who knows how to play in tge playoffs. For sure I'd take him at 5x4
Yeah he’s a good player, but like Coleman he’s approaching 30 and his game could fall off a cliff.
I agree, and will point out that Hyman will be one of the most-coveted free agents, ergo he'll be overpaid in dollars or term. Let someone else make that mistake.

Also, Hyman managed one point in the playoffs on the "deepest team in history" (according to the hilarious editor in leaf).
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I wouldn’t, Canucks are 3 years from being a contender and at them amount he is another boat anchor.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Would you want a used, beat up Hymen that got abused by an Elder?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:17 pm
Who either than Pettersson that was on the injury list was actually any good? They were all pretty much replacement level guys imho. Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen etc.
Well, we got to see the coveted "replacement level guys" try to take those spots. We saw what a bottom six of waiver fodder, league-minimum salary looks like.

If you want those kinds of guys, you'll get that kind of performance from the bottom six.
I was partially responding to you saying that we were playing our #13-18 forwards. Sadly I didn’t see much a difference between # 7 and #18 last year other than the odd burst from Motte who I still consider to be a 4th line guy. MacEwan was no worse than Jake, Graovac was no worse than Sutter or Beagle. Highmore was no worse than Roussel

They really need to firm up forwards 7 through 10, both short term and long term. Not to mention do something with the ass end. Benning has his work cut out for him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:25 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:17 pm

I was partially responding to you saying that we were playing our #13-18 forwards. Sadly I didn’t see much a difference between # 7 and #18 last year other than the odd burst from Motte who I still consider to be a 4th line guy. MacEwan was no worse than Jake, Graovac was no worse than Sutter or Beagle. Highmore was no worse than Roussel

They really need to firm up forwards 7 through 10, both short term and long term. Not to mention do something with the ass end. Benning has his work cut out for him.
Actually, Graovac was better than Sutter and Beagle.....albeit in a limited sample size. He’s faster than Beagle, and twice the physical player that Sutter is.