Next seasons roster - Part 1

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who should the Canucks resign or bring back for next season.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:15 pm

Bailey
12%
Beagle
2%
Boyd
2%
Graovac
19%
Hawryluck
7%
Highmore
15%
Lind
19%
MacEwen
19%
Michaelis
2%
Roussel
2%

Total votes: 81

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Next seasons roster - Part 1

Post by Lancer »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:04 pm Just leave Danila in Europa for 2-3 years and let him develop imo. Moving these Eastern Europeans onto CHL rosters seems to reduce a players chances of making it to the NHL.

Interesting pick though; he really lit it up at the U18s. Two thumbs up from me :D
If he wants to move to the Q, so much the better. The better that he gets out of the KHL and closer to Van and Abby where they can develop him. Better in Rouyn-Noranda than Minsk, and that’s saying something.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:04 pm Just leave Danila in Europa for 2-3 years and let him develop imo. Moving these Eastern Europeans onto CHL rosters seems to reduce a players chances of making it to the NHL.

Interesting pick though; he really lit it up at the U18s. Two thumbs up from me :D
Does it reduce their chances, or were they just not good enough/driven enough in the first place?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Does it reduce their chances, or were they just not good enough/driven enough in the first place?
More likely, perhaps, in the sense of they're more likely to leave him if they, well, just get off their ass and leave home.

The longer they stay.

The lower the odds they come?
DeLevering since 1999.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lancer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 pm

If he wants to move to the Q, so much the better. The better that he gets out of the KHL and closer to Van and Abby where they can develop him. Better in Rouyn-Noranda than Minsk, and that’s saying something.
Agree! Ask him to play in the CHL. Been watching a couple of videos on him and whereas he looks very impressive, he uses that big ice to his advantage.
He learns to do that on North American size ice and he probably gets to the show quicker.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:32 pm
Mëds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:10 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:56 pm
donlever wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:45 pm Larrsons choice seems illogical then.
Agreed, I'm sure he would have received offers with more money/term if he waited til Wednesday.

Too bad, I bet Hank and Dank could have lured him in... along with a few dollars more of course.
Cap space for that doesn't exist though until Smith or Holtby are gone.
WRONG.

You can spend 10% over the cap in the off-season.

And Jimmy would surely be sitting on some Schmidt offers if he goes ahead and signs his replacement in UFAgency.

Sign the UFA and pull the trigger on the Schmidt trade.

Also, rumours have been swirling that Jim has a few offers on Holtby (with some retention no doubt).

Alternatively a Holtby buyout is only $500K on the cap for this season.

There's no doubt in my mind Jimbro would have gladly signed Larsson on July 28 to that same contract.
Oh I'm sure, and any GM worth his salt would then turn around and tell Jim the return has changed because he'd know that Elmer was now in a bind.
That's not how it works.

Jimmy would be in close communication with the GM who wants Schmidt.

Jimmy: Okay, I'm going to sign Player X now to replace Schmidt... and then make that Schmidt trade with you.

Other GM: Okie dokie.

After signing Player X, said GM makes the Schmidt trade or his reputation/trust is shot around the league.

(or you deal Schmidt first and put pen-to-paper on the agreed-upon signing shortly thereafter)

But this is silly, there are other teams that would want Schmidt and there's no rush to trade him after signing Player X.

Mëds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 pm Didn't realize that Holtby was only $500K against the cap this year.

Benning would be smart not to defer cap now though. Boeser needs a new deal next season, so will Rathbone. A few others the year after. No guarantee that the cap is going to rise next year, doubtful from what we've heard.
Well it would be an emergency fallback Plan B... if Plan A didn't happen.

Plan A: Trade Holtby with some retention.

As I said, insiders are saying 5+ teams want Holtby as a backup.

As for a raise for Boeser, there's twice what Jimmy needs for that with the Luongo penalty coming off the books.

Rathbone probably doesn't get a raise.

(he'll be playing limited minutes on the 3rd pairing behind OEL and Hughes)

(he'll also sit out some games for OJ, prolly have a total of ~50 NHL games on which to base negotiations)

And if Rathbone does deserve a raise use some of the Luongo money.

(not arbitration-eligible, can't sign an offer-sheet = he'll have no leverage)

As for 2 years from now... well there are various ways... and things can change a lot in 2 years in the NHL.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

dangler wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:25 pm do the math dumbfuck.
there is no problem.
except in your head
they really don't need to find replacements for Schmidt & Holtby
Listen asshole, do the math yourself. The Athletic thinks they’re capped out with the limited roster shown below using
agent based predictions and EvolvingWild’s modelling (https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status ... 9253184515) but plugging in:

Peterson @ 7.3 (Athletic has him @ 7.53)
Hughes @ 6 (Athletic @5.98)
Garland @ 4 (Athletic @ 4.855)
Dickinson @ 3 (Athletic @ 3.07)
Just over a million dollars less in total than they used.

Juolevi at the same as last year
Hamonic back @ 2 (likely not going to happen)
Sutter for the 4th line @ 950k

Including the Virtanen buyout and Luongo hit, and Ferland on LTIR, and they’re over by $3.449 so
if you get rid of Holtby 100% without retention and sign an adequate back up at a million, and good
luck with that because a million may get a Brian Elliott, they have about 150k and a Holtby buyout
actually erases that and then some.

That’s without dealing with Schmidt and finding a decent replacement and that’s where any potential
room comes from. The whole point of the OEL gamble is to improve the defense not just swap him for Schmidt
while leaving the right side a train wreck. And then there's injuries and whether they only keep Juolevi as a
7 D on the roster and considering there's nothing signed outside of Woo so far in Abby.

Signing 4 key RFA’s, another in Juolevi, signing Sutter and Hamonic or their replacements, and dealing with both
Schmidt and Holtby and their replacements should be a piece cake though. lol. It’s goddamn cap gymnastics.

If that’s not tight to you, and you actually think they won’t need to adequately replace Schmidt, or at all as you
do say, and will go with a slightly cheaper DiPietro as back up leaving no NHL caliber depth in goal in Abby,
you’re even dumber than I thought.

Athletic Roster

Changes added
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 pm

I haven't delved too deeply into it but my impression has been the best outcomes for Russian players have happened for the kids that stayed home until they were ready to play pro. I don't think either way is the wrong way, it's up to the player to make the best of whichever path he chooses. My personal prejudice I guess is to stay the course on a single development track.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Lancer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 pm

He can work on his French in Rouyn Noranda; that's going to help him acclimatize to the BC lifestyle ;)
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^ Curm it's too late in the day for me to run those numbers.

But I'm almost positive you must add Ferland's $3.5M to the $81.5M salary cap to arrive at our new allowable max cap#

... which would now be $85M so we'd be fine with those numbers if we maximized the LTIR room.

(well technically we're allowed to go over the cap by Ferland's number, but you know what I mean)

Also, moving Holtby out is a forgone conclusion, giving us a coupla more mill in space.

As well, that $1.9 in Performance Bonuses... IF achieved... can be pushed to the next season.

(we can go over the cap by that $1.9M if we want)

Also possible to run with a 20/21 man roster with the farm team in Abby.

(not that I like the idea, just mentioning it as a possibility)

We'll have comfortable enough room buddy, and as I say, we WANT to be close to the cap right? :wink:

Anyway, sorry if I missed something, very tired Strangelove signing out...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:35 pm ^^ Curm it's too late in the day for me to run those numbers.

But I'm almost positive you must add Ferland's $3.5M to the $81.5M salary cap to arrive at our new allowable max cap#

... which would now be $85M so we'd be fine with those numbers if we maximized the LTIR room.

(well technically we're allowed to go over the cap by Ferland's number, but you know what I mean)

Also, moving Holtby out is a forgone conclusion, giving us a coupla more mill in space.

As well, that $1.9 in Performance Bonuses... IF achieved... can be pushed to the next season.

(we can go over the cap by that $1.9M if we want)

Also possible to run with a 20/21 man roster with the farm team in Abby.

(not that I like the idea, just mentioning it as a possibility)

We'll have comfortable enough room buddy, and as I say, we WANT to be close to the cap right? :wink:

Anyway, sorry if I missed something, very tired Strangelove signing out...
Yes and it's still tight, especially if I'm off by a million or so on the key RFAs and also off on Hamonic. I didn't screenshot that change and didn't push the bonuses but yes those make a difference. I never said it's not going to work out, I'm saying they have a ton of hoops to jump through to make it all work and have some NHL caliber depth to deal with injuries and run at the playoffs. And they do have to replace both Holtby and Schmidt with more than adequate replacements, not replacing them at all as the other comment said is not even an option and that won't be as cheap as some may think. They didn't make that trade to tread water, right? Not sure what comfortable is but, yeah, close to the cap is a given.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Buyout window closes in two days on the 27th.
We should see trades for Jake and Holtby very soon if they are a possibility, or if not placement on waivers for a buyout for probably at least Jake, maybe not Holtby. The Canucks may still need him to back-up.
I’d be very happy if they could find enough cash for Getzlaf instead of resigning Sutter when free agency opens on the 28th.
If the Canucks don’t find trades for Schmidt and Holtby, I figure they only need to find two more NHL players on cheap contracts to conclude the NHL summer business, one centre (probably Sutter, probably not Getzlaf) and one right-side Dman (probably Hamonic). I’m pretty sure management will figure out the salary cap. My earlier prediction that Hughes will be a holdout this season will help. Of course, they’ll also need to look for some diamonds in the rough to stock the AHL team, so they’ll still be busy.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Predictions

Virtanen bought out

One of Holtby or Schmidt is traded, maybe both

Hamonic signed

Sutter signed (4th line centre)

A Russian vet is signed to mentor Pod
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Virtanen has been put on unconditional waivers for purpose of by out, Canucks have confirmed.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they give the four remaining players what in my opinion should be max contracts they are $935,659 over the cap.
That assumes a 23 man roster with Ferland on LTIR.

The max contracts I assumed were

8.5m x 8 for Petey
8m x 8 for Hughes
3m x 2 for Dickinson
1.125m x 1 for Juolevi

So to get under the cap they have to shave off $935,659 off those for contracts, which should be doable if any bridge deals are signed….

or they can pay everyone those full contracts, but go with a 22 man roster by taking one player making more than $935,659 off the active roster to start the year.

Whatever the case signing everyone is very doable.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2670879
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:33 am

So to get under the cap they have to shave off $935,659 off those for contracts, which should be doable if any bridge deals are signed….

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2670879
I think they're ok at those numbers as-is, your simulation includes max bonuses (I think?), that alone gives them enough room, then there's the inevitable additional LTIR space that will come up.