2021 Off-Season Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What do you think will happen this summer? (not what you want to happen)

Poll ended at Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:11 pm

The Aquilini Family will sell the team.
No votes
Jim Benning and Travis Green will be shown the door.
7%
Benning goes but Travis Green will be resigned.
4%
Benning stays but Green is not resigned.
52%
Aquilini, Benning and Green will all be back.
37%

Total votes: 27

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 Off-Season Predictions

Post by Mickey107 »

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
With the speculation of changes within the Vancouver Canucks, I’m told Canucks ownership is involved in ongoing discussions with Henrik and Daniel Sedin about potential roles within the organization.
12:33 PM · May 18, 2021
LOL; just showing what is actually out there. There are more.
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 am If only Trevor would talk......
I thought that also, but his silence is pretty damn loud. If there was bad blood between the heart and soul Canuck and the latest GM would there have been any of the tension at the twins retirement etc? Seems the kind of petty linden isn’t.

On the other hand if there’s bad blood between the owner and the heart and soul banishes himself?

Does that point to an owner that thinks the team is a blue and green Ferrari in daddy’s driveway?

Enquiring minds want to know
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:11 am
It's not like we can chant, or rent an airplane banner that says, "Fire Aquilini".

The only things I can think of to do are:

a) stay away so the franchise loses money, and the Little Eagles are motivated to sell to another ownership group, which we can hope will be more enlightened

b) pick a second favourite surrogate team to cheer for in the mean time

If one of you has a better plan, I'd be happy to read about it.
IF it is the owners well intentioned meddling that is dragging this thing off the rails there is only one question, how much can he afford to lose?

If he can do a Harold Ballard impersonation and all the rumours and whispers are true, I am probably fucked for ever seeing a championship in my lifetime.

How would I react to that? I’ve cheered for 50 years already hasn’t been all bad but I figure I catch a ride on that new kraken thing in Seattle as a back up. Never been the type to cheer for any other city in any sport except I guess the Seahawks and at the end of the day that city is the only other city in the same universe as Vancouver.
All the rest of them cities are full of cunts, especially the Canadian ones.

Everyone thinks there will be a natural rivalry but I think it’ll be real easy to cheer for sea monsters ripping the rest of the league new ones

But considering the grand total of Pacific Northwest pro championships, it’ll be a generational wait for them too
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:20 pm
Micky wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:48 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 am If only Trevor would talk......
Or Edler but that aint ever going to happen.... Wids, you probably know more about it then I do but I can see a scenario where Linden was hired to
bring a popular name in to a deteriorating franchise reputation and make it better. He hired Jim. All's well.
There could have bee tiffs though I never detected much.
Could it have simply been about money? Could the family have gone to Jim and asked him if he could handle all the responsibility?
Would that explain the animosity? Did Jim complain about some of his ideas getting shot down?
Doubt Trevor ever talks. Doubt Jim ever talks.
Lol..

Gomer talking like he is an "insider" with a source of some kind!!
There could have bee tiffs though I never detected much.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing reading that. :lol:

UMMMMM WAKE UP GOMER!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

You know how many typos I see every day? Plenty. You think it's cool to point out only mine. What does this indicate? Hand in the mod key!

wittle bukkuroo.. :lol:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:00 pm You know how many typos I see every day? Plenty. You think it's cool to point out only mine. What does this indicate? Hand in the mod key!

UMMMM.

No one is talking about your typos Gomer Pyle. :eh:

You need to get yurrass to a doctor asap my friend...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:00 pm You know how many typos I see every day? Plenty. You think it's cool to point out only mine. What does this indicate? Hand in the mod key!

Typical deflection with a dose of bullshit.

You put yourself out there as an insider and you know nothing, are nothing. You speculate from social media, and you can't spell Buckaroo.

Stick to window licking, eating rainbow skittles and wax crayons, and wiping other mens toothpaste from your face.

"Its a good idea while on the PK to pinthe opposing players on the boards"
"Rathbone and Joulevi are better than Hughes"
"Peteys injury got worse because of covid"
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Keep seeing Clark is going to move on, if so I'd say Curtis Sanford is set to take over, as he learned from the best to now starting his NHL career as top NHL goalie coach and they both got similar coaching styles.
A big part of that is Clark’s excellent communication with Utica Comets goalie coach Curtis Sanford.

“Communication is massive,” said Sanford. “It doesn’t even matter what position we’re talking about. Forwards, defence, and goaltending, I think it’s always important to have really good communication from the coaches down to the development coaches and to the players.

It has to really be open, and I think once we leave training camps and development camps, we have a pretty good idea of a pathway for these players from the start of the season, to the end of the season. It’s just kind of continually monitoring, evaluating, and communicating what those expectations are going to be and how we’re going to achieve them.”

Those efforts are felt by every goaltender in the organization, no matter what level they’re at or where they are in their developmental journey.

“The one thing that we do really well is Curtis is an extension of Clarky,” said Kielly. “He doesn’t mix things up, he doesn’t have different symbols for things, he doesn’t say things that Clarky wouldn’t say so when you go from a training camp in Vancouver and then are able to come down here with Curtis, it just makes things much simpler, things flow better, and I’m able to pick up right where I left off. There’s no jumbling of organizational plays, systematic plays and stuff like that. He played in the league a long time and he played for Clarky too, so he’s able to communicate things to me in a way that makes sense for me.”

Sanford largely attributes that to remembering what it was like working with Clark as a goaltender himself.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/03/16/exte ... elop-afar/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

well if our farm team is in Abbotsford next season we really only need one organizational goalie coach.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:41 pm well if our farm team is in Abbotsford next season we really only need one organizational goalie coach.
Be nice to keep both. >--Joke--> If only we had ownership that's willing to spend the money needed in all areas. Now, all of a sudden, no spending anymore then you have to on anything. This does not bode well looking ahead. Give Clark what he wants within reason. If it's not about the $$, maybe Ian explains shortly.
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I follow US politics and was addicted to political boards during the Trump years and see similarities in the way the team is being covered and how we are reacting to that coverage.

We have a media who are not afraid to show their bias and agendas and have resorted to a campaign against management and ownership by focusing on negative speculation and rumors rather than balanced reporting.

In many cases they are the source of the rumors and mistruths that get a segment of the fan based riled up.

It's like QAnon has discovered there is good business to be had in Vancouver sports media...

Regarding Linden, from reporting we think he was pushing a rebuild with a cap floor payroll.

Regarding Benning, from reporting we think he was pushing a rebuild with a cap ceiling payroll meaning that he was going to be a buyer in free agency to acquire players and try to keep the team somewhat competitive...

Regarding ownership, from reporting we think they were concerned that the market would not support a rebuilding team and were wishy washy on how they wanted the team rebuilt...

It's similar to our pandemic situation...health experts will give guidance on how best to defeat the virus without regard for the economy while the Government receives that guidance and balances it against the harm it will cause the economy ...

In the end Benning’s approach won out and at that point Linden had a choice any executive has ... behind closed doors everyone has the opportunity to push their approach, they can yell and scream at each other but once the decision has been made everyone leaves that room united in the messaging...

If Linden couldn't get on board with the final decision, then he should have resigned then rather than being an obstacle which leads to mixed messaging...

My assumption is that ownership's commitment to the plan was always on shaky ground and that concern for the bottom line has led to interference from time to time.

Which is understandable and as a fan I can accept..

Lost in all of this is that the organization has very steadily been building a very talented core group of future stars under the leadership of Benning...

The media has chosen to largely ignore this because it doesn't fit their agendas and a segment of the fan base like the Trump cult are revolting...

Green may or may not be back as coach....Benning and ownership are assessing the situation which strikes me as not much different than what Gillis did when he arrived in Vancouver and took his time to determine AV's fate ...

There is talk of another banner being flown, this one a fire ownership ... Dumb and dumber and because the organizer is likely at home collecting pandemic relief money has to fundraise to cover the cost...

I have always preferred reading comments and opinions from the other side… I find fans overreact to both wins and losses and can only take so much of the gushing when the team is on a winning streak or the jumping off the cliff when its losing.

So I listen to sports radio in other markets, especially after games against the Canucks and understand completely why Vancouver twitter and media have such a negative reputation around the league.

Those other markets are mocking us.

In response to those in the media who are pushing their negative agendas, I wonder if its time to start demanding that those media members be replaced, or their shows cancelled?

Why do we need local sports radio anyways when it is the National media who give us breaking news and inside information and scoops?

I went back and forth between 650 and 960 this morning and it was night and day…Halford and Brough b*itching and complaining as they always do, focusing on little contribution the bottom 15 provided this year along with complaining about how much the rent is in the basement suites they rent while the guys in Calgary were talking the playoffs and league wide issues.

Between podcasts and the national shows I don't see the need for local media and losing 650 like we did 1040 would not bother me at all...

I had sympathy for those who lost their jobs when 1040 shut down but after listening to those who moved over from 1040 show little empathy for those they are trying to get fired, the days of caring for an unemployed radio host are gone...

Rant over....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

rikster wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am I follow US politics and was addicted to political boards during the Trump years and see similarities in the way the team is being covered and how we are reacting to that coverage.

We have a media who are not afraid to show their bias and agendas and have resorted to a campaign against management and ownership by focusing on negative speculation and rumors rather than balanced reporting.

In many cases they are the source of the rumors and mistruths that get a segment of the fan based riled up.

It's like QAnon has discovered there is good business to be had in Vancouver sports media...

Regarding Linden, from reporting we think he was pushing a rebuild with a cap floor payroll.

Regarding Benning, from reporting we think he was pushing a rebuild with a cap ceiling payroll meaning that he was going to be a buyer in free agency to acquire players and try to keep the team somewhat competitive...

Regarding ownership, from reporting we think they were concerned that the market would not support a rebuilding team and were wishy washy on how they wanted the team rebuilt...

It's similar to our pandemic situation...health experts will give guidance on how best to defeat the virus without regard for the economy while the Government receives that guidance and balances it against the harm it will cause the economy ...

In the end Benning’s approach won out and at that point Linden had a choice any executive has ... behind closed doors everyone has the opportunity to push their approach, they can yell and scream at each other but once the decision has been made everyone leaves that room united in the messaging...

If Linden couldn't get on board with the final decision, then he should have resigned then rather than being an obstacle which leads to mixed messaging...

My assumption is that ownership's commitment to the plan was always on shaky ground and that concern for the bottom line has led to interference from time to time.

Which is understandable and as a fan I can accept..

Lost in all of this is that the organization has very steadily been building a very talented core group of future stars under the leadership of Benning...

The media has chosen to largely ignore this because it doesn't fit their agendas and a segment of the fan base like the Trump cult are revolting...

Green may or may not be back as coach....Benning and ownership are assessing the situation which strikes me as not much different than what Gillis did when he arrived in Vancouver and took his time to determine AV's fate ...

There is talk of another banner being flown, this one a fire ownership ... Dumb and dumber and because the organizer is likely at home collecting pandemic relief money has to fundraise to cover the cost...

I have always preferred reading comments and opinions from the other side… I find fans overreact to both wins and losses and can only take so much of the gushing when the team is on a winning streak or the jumping off the cliff when its losing.

So I listen to sports radio in other markets, especially after games against the Canucks and understand completely why Vancouver twitter and media have such a negative reputation around the league.

Those other markets are mocking us.

In response to those in the media who are pushing their negative agendas, I wonder if its time to start demanding that those media members be replaced, or their shows cancelled?

Why do we need local sports radio anyways when it is the National media who give us breaking news and inside information and scoops?

I went back and forth between 650 and 960 this morning and it was night and day…Halford and Brough b*itching and complaining as they always do, focusing on little contribution the bottom 15 provided this year along with complaining about how much the rent is in the basement suites they rent while the guys in Calgary were talking the playoffs and league wide issues.

Between podcasts and the national shows I don't see the need for local media and losing 650 like we did 1040 would not bother me at all...

I had sympathy for those who lost their jobs when 1040 shut down but after listening to those who moved over from 1040 show little empathy for those they are trying to get fired, the days of caring for an unemployed radio host are gone...

Rant over....
Good points there Rikster.

Is Vinner the guy in viking horns who stormed Bennings office?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

baubles MS is a squaddie
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rikster wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am Rant over....
True in most reporting
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:49 am
Good points there Rikster.

Is Vinner the guy in viking horns who stormed Bennings office?
I feel bad for Vinner, sometimes we get him calmed down, but he's got such a hair-trigger that anything can send him off the deep end again.

Maybe he's more like that Republican congressman who was pissing his pants trying to bar the doors to the Chamber, and now is calling the rioters "enthusiastic tourists"?